Not that anyone needs me to tell them.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
......but that shot Mickelson hit behind #15 was about as good a shot that's ever been hit. Someone please tell me from a degree of difficulty standpoint a better shot that they've seen.

Helps to have that 64 deg wedge....

Ya, but any type of thin or fat/bounce skipping off the turf into the ball.....splash!

Don't know if you've played Muirfield Village, but this holed lob shot was pretty difficult...

That's a great shot too, but it looks like he had some rough to help get under the ball. Phil had an Augusta tight lie.

Last edited:
To quote David Feherty

"Watching Phil Mickelson play golf is like watch a drunk chase a balloon along the edge of a cliff...."

It was the only way to get it that close, it was AMAZING.

What I like about it was that he wanted nothing to do with that shot (by his reaction after hitting his second). He could've easily played to a safe 25'-30' putt, but he threw all his chips from 10,12, and 13 on the table and went right at it. Love it when a top athlete doesn't shrink when it's time.

Maybe Labron DVR'd yesterday's round.

......but that shot Mickelson hit behind #15 was about as good a shot that's ever been hit. Someone please tell me from a degree of difficulty standpoint a better shot that they've seen.

It was absolutely, without doubt, one of the greatest short shots every played. Amazing. I don't disagree at all.

It takes on an air of being even MORE special, because no other player in the field would even consider trying it. He is the ONE player that would try that shot and the ONE player that can hit it.

Now, having said all of that, and not to take anything away from Phil, you have to also add this point: Phil is the ONE player in the field who carries a CLUB that makes it even possible to consider that shot. No one else carries a 64 degree wedge with a razor sharp leading edge and no bounce. Now, I don't think many folks could pull the shot off even with that club in their bag, but Phil is the only guy that carries it (not to mention the only guy that practices with it, etc.). So in a certain sense Phil does had an advantage, because any other player who winds up in that position and is carrying a typical pro lob wedge...that player can't even try the shot Phil hit. You can hit that shot with Phil's wedge.

I think he's the most exciting player to watch, by far. Aside from the flop at 15, how about the hook he stuffed on 18?

What I respect most about Phil's game is how he hits the driver. He really goes full-bore, while seeming to accept that he could miss big. It's just awesome to watch him rip one, when everybody (including Phil) knows it could go anywhere.

Also, I think Phil's a great example of a player whose excellence isn't really indicated by the statistics. There's no category for having stones.

Like many decisions in life (and of course golf), you end up either an idiot or a genius. This time it was the later.

And now he hits the worst shot ever on #4

hitting the stand was the bad break on a bad golf shot.

Going back to the tee likely cost him at most 1, thats a bogey hole all the way, he felt like gambling...its funny listening to faldo it sounds like the decision cost him 2, and likely it cost him maybe 1.

He should have gone back. That probably screwed his head up good.

well you figure he is probably 30% at least to bogey that hole, its very difficult, maybe less than 5% to birdie. So if he makes par it would have been a 5, but still likely a 6. If he would have hit it out he would have had a difficult flop for his 3rd, still likely a 5. Cant hit it left on that hole off the tee, but when you play with a crazy amount of clubhead closure as he does the timing, well IMO is difficult.

He most likely makes 6 either way. He was in bamboo jail, sometimes you just drop the soap.

Come on with this RoC nonsense. King Luis isn't exactly dragging and holding his way around the course.. nor Bubba, nor Harrington, nor Hanson, nor Poulter, nor Scott, etc.

natep

New
I got to follow Phil at the AT&T earlier this year. He won that week, so maybe I just caught him at his best, but he wasnt hitting any shots with screaming curvature as if he cant square the face to the path. His bad drives were essentially dead straight pulls and pushs.

I got to follow Phil at the AT&T earlier this year. He won that week, so maybe I just caught him at his best, but he wasnt hitting any shots with screaming curvature as if he cant square the face to the path. His bad drives were essentially dead straight pulls and pushs.

He predominately has played a push type draw when I have seen him play but I have seem him curve it both ways. He has a open face compared to other golfers, when he slides out in front of it he has trouble closing it, hell I do the same dang thing just x10.

Oosthaizen is hitting it in some strange places as well but when you make a bunch of long putts for par and birdie you can get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.