number one amateur swing error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has to be the over-rotated left arm flying wedge. Brian worked to get rid of mine in June and for the most part it was gone. Played after a three week layoff and it came back with a roaring vengeance. Nothing I tried worked,
every attempt at pivoting produced either a fat shot or pull hook. The only way I could hit the ball was to stop pivoting and flip the face closed. The club was so open, I understood why Woods has such a hard time hitting his driver. Brian, how about a top ten list? top ten ways to eliminate the over-rotated left arm flying wedge. Help, I am desparate.

I remember your lesson quite well. I'm pretty sure you know what you need to do (early hip turn, in hand path, steeper shoulder turn, slightly higher right elbow). The trick is training it, and I think the "club on the waist drill" did a good job of that in the short amount of time you used it during the lesson. Here's what I would do:

Do the drill, but when you do it, exaggerate the feeling by trying to point the club out to rightfield at the top. Do this at home until you feel comfortable with it. Then, when you go hit balls, do the drill twice before each ball, then hit the ball using the same swing thought (point the club out to rightfield). When you actually start to do what you are trying to do (too much across the line), tone it down, and do the same thing with the thought of trying to point the club at the target, instead of out to rightfield.

Question was no.1 error and you said right elbow higher than left.
I'd say the opposite.
Define? It's an error or not?
I would say keeping right elbow below left is a junk in most swings, and sometimes due to over rotation \ loss of, this 'flying wedge' or whatever it's called.
i think you are the only one that interpreted it that way. it was clear by rdodger's reply
When? Where? through out the swing? takeaway? downswing? follow thru? If you keep right elbow higher than left, can the clubface still open somewhere in the swing?
that he understood my reply.

my reply was an answer to this:
Has to be the over-rotated left arm flying wedge. Brian worked to get rid of mine in June and for the most part it was gone. Played after a three week layoff and it came back with a roaring vengeance. Nothing I tried worked,
every attempt at pivoting produced either a fat shot or pull hook. The only way I could hit the ball was to stop pivoting and flip the face closed. The club was so open, I understood why Woods has such a hard time hitting his driver. Brian, how about a top ten list? top ten ways to eliminate the over-rotated left arm flying wedge. Help, I am desparate.

my reply:
keep your right elbow higher than left

I remember your lesson quite well. I'm pretty sure you know what you need to do (early hip turn, in hand path, steeper shoulder turn, slightly higher right elbow). The trick is training it, and I think the "club on the waist drill" did a good job of that in the short amount of time you used it during the lesson. Here's what I would do:

Do the drill, but when you do it, exaggerate the feeling by trying to point the club out to rightfield at the top. Do this at home until you feel comfortable with it. Then, when you go hit balls, do the drill twice before each ball, then hit the ball using the same swing thought (point the club out to rightfield). When you actually start to do what you are trying to do (too much across the line), tone it down, and do the same thing with the thought of trying to point the club at the target, instead of out to rightfield.

Thanks looking, I had gotten out of doing this drill. I wish I videoed the lesson or took better notes. You get so much out of Brian's lesson it is real easy to forget something. I appreciate your input, you watched the whole lesson.

Excessive Clubhead Throwaway due to any of the following...
Face too open, Face too closed, poor ball flight concepts, poor core stability, poor equipment, poor pivots, poor weight distribution, etc, etc, etc...

Jwat

New
Excessive Clubhead Throwaway due to any of the following...
Face too open, Face too closed, poor ball flight concepts, poor core stability, poor equipment, poor pivots, poor weight distribution, etc, etc, etc...

Wow, that sounds like the entire swing to me.

THE GRIP - I believe that 99% of amateurs who have never taken a lesson have a poor grip, perhaps more. They grip it like a baseball bat, fishing pole or a tennis racquet and limit the radius of their swing. In most cases, Pressure Point #3 is underneath or on top of the club. If you disagree, I invite you to come visit my planet's driving range.

Status
Not open for further replies.