number one amateur swing error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't really a part of the swing, so maybe I'm off topic.

But the biggest problem I see in beginning and newer golfers is a poor understanding of balance. With out it, there is no consistancy. And other parts of the swing are challenged when all they need to correct is the rocking forward on to their toes.

Hogan's being able to lift your toes off the turf when in your stance (weight between the ball and heel) is a "must get" for beginners.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
THE GRIP - I believe that 99% of amateurs who have never taken a lesson have a poor grip, perhaps more. They grip it like a baseball bat, fishing pole or a tennis racquet and limit the radius of their swing. In most cases, Pressure Point #3 is underneath or on top of the club. If you disagree, I invite you to come visit my planet's driving range.

Good point but it really isnt a swing error.

As a rank amateur, my biggest error was thinking that the hands moving across the body is what hits the ball. Is this called the "illusion of the golf swing". It sure was for me. I looked a pictures of pros at impact with their hands to the right of their body .... but I did not get it.

I should have been more clear in my initial post of this thread. What is the number one amateur swing flaw relating to the golfer, not the club. Obviously an open face is number one. I am interested in the number one golfer reason the face opens. It can start square fairly easily at address. What makes it open during the swing and where? I contend it is an over-rotated left arm flying wedge. It can over-rotate open during the backswing or downswing but it does open the face, in my swing, more than anything else.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I should have been more clear in my initial post of this thread. What is the number one amateur swing flaw relating to the golfer, not the club. Obviously an open face is number one. I am interested in the number one golfer reason the face opens.

Because they don't know they aren't supposed to allow it to open that much, simple as that.

Amazingly that makes perfect sense to me. Would an imagined need to get the left arm more across the body also open the face?

I think musculature, skeletal alignment, and proportions drive a natural inclination to move a certain way, until if needed, movements are trained differently. Some structures will struggle more than others with proper left-arm-flying-wedge rotation.

In my case my massive, flared, deep, full, delt-tied-in pectorals, make proper rotation problematic for sure! Of course some of this description may be more imagined, as you suggests, then real!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.