Observations of late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Even though there have been a few bright spots, this year has been all about survival and just maintaining some semblance of a golf game with little to no practice time. Recently, my schedule has lightened and allowed for some legitimate work. Not surprisingly, there has been a recent spike in form as I get ready for our last point event.

Some observations:

Don't ignore your ball position and aim. Mine had gotten so bad because of my disdain for the high right shot. I couldn't believe how far right I aimed and how much the ball had moved forward. This allowed me to cover the ball without thinking about it or practice but it had gotten so bad.

Club face is king. The move to strike the ball is an inward pull from the left and FATS from the right. It's a steepening and closing move. If the club face is situated in your grip in such a way that you can't do this, change it. You'll be glad you did. All those late shallowing moves and steering through impact will disappear.

Keep your hands inside the sweet spot plane on wedges and work on toe contact while using the bounce.

Aim point in putting works. Get a string and work on your green reading

As stated here many times, really work on getting your hand path to low point prior to the ball so they can work inward and up through impact.

Get one miss so you can plan your shots on the course

I hope some find this helpful

Aim point in putting works. Get a string and work on your green reading.

This truly is one of the quickest ways to immediately impact your scores. It demystifies one of the most mystically credited areas of the game. If a tater vine like me can make it work, you guys with real talent can be demons on the green.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
This truly is one of the quickest ways to immediately impact your scores. It demystifies one of the most mystically credited areas of the game. If a tater vine like me can make it work, you guys with real talent can be demons on the green.

I just wouldn't pay money for it. You just need a string and two pencils to figure it out IMO.

I agree Kevin. I've never understood how someone can make a business out of such a simple idea as aiming at a point.

I agree Kevin. I've never understood how someone can make a business out of such a simple idea as aiming at a point.

I thought there was more to it than that. Isn't there some green reading technique involved?

I hope so.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I thought there was more to it than that. Isn't there some green reading technique involved?

I hope so.

Yes there is, essentially it's math. You need to determine the % of slope and the speed of the green and then you know where your aim point is. I don't know the price of the clinic but my student got a handy book and a thorough understanding of the method and when he takes the time to use it on the greens his putting has improved immensely.

Yeah, there's not a business behind "point-n-shoot" cameras or no value in sniper schools. Heck whether it be a putter, a camera, or a high powered rifle... all you have to do is aim to a point, right? What kind of idiot can't do that? Who among us can't read greens like a Ben Crenshaw, who can't take photo's like an Ansel Adams, who can't snipe a target at 1.5 miles with the lethality of a Chris Kyle? All you gotta do is aim at a point, right

Or...just a thought...

Maybe the business is in teaching what point to aim at. :p

Last edited:
Mgran, you must be a dream come true for guys selling courses.;)

Everyone these day thinks there's a course for everything and all you have to do is attend, oops, sorry PAY, and then attend and the world is your oyster. That's why everyone is so fekin good at everything these days, right? Average HCP over the last 50 years etc etc etc.

Reading a green with maths and percentages? Gimme a fekin break man. When I get to that stage I'll just give all my money to charity, at least that way I'll feel better at the end.

Kevin,

Thanks for the insight. When you say "steepening and closing" do you mean, "steepening" as the hands getting "higher" not angle of attack?

And does the "toe contact" with the wedge game provide more friction and more spin or is it something else?

Thanks as always

I must admit I was sceptical before I took the Aimpoint course, but I'm came away pleasantly surprised and quite taken with it. Didn't really help me much, to be honest, but that's more because my hands shake like a shitting dog when I'm holding a putter and if I hit my spot it's more by accident than design.

Give it a try, Wuls, you might like it...

Yes there is, essentially it's math. You need to determine the % of slope and the speed of the green and then you know where your aim point is. I don't know the price of the clinic but my student got a handy book and a thorough understanding of the method and when he takes the time to use it on the greens his putting has improved immensely.

I'll have to check that out one day when I have the funding. My speed is pretty good, and I start the ball on my line mostly, but if it isn't an obvious break (taking into account the major slope of the green, humps, water location) I'm often lost, and it drives me nuts. I've hit so many putts this season exactly how I wanted to hit them, only to have them either break the other way, or not move at all.

Mgran, you must be a dream come true for guys selling courses.;)

Everyone these day thinks there's a course for everything and all you have to do is attend, oops, sorry PAY, and then attend and the world is your oyster. That's why everyone is so fekin good at everything these days, right? Average HCP over the last 50 years etc etc etc.

Reading a green with maths and percentages? Gimme a fekin break man. When I get to that stage I'll just give all my money to charity, at least that way I'll feel better at the end.

Why do those who know it all consistently mock the efforts of those of us who don't? Why when those of us who don't know it all learn something new and helpful, those who do know it all say something that amounts to "that's so simple, how did you not know that already?". I used to think those of us who don't know it all could eventually reach the ranks of those who do through the avenues of learning, research, open mindedness, and application... now I'm beginning to understand that the only way to know it all is to be born with that omniscient gift.

Such as that cruel fact may be, surely there is some value for those of us who don't know it all to effort to know a little more. Granted, a little added to a little is still a little, but it is an improvement. Simple burdens, like the want to learn and improve, are not carried by those who know it all... so allow us carry our burdens in peace.

Of course we don't know what will and will not help us in advance, that's one of the limitations of not knowing everything. Again, another burden unknown to those who know it all. If Aimpoint or any other such simpleton system was worth you knowing about, you would have already know about it. It, and systems like it, are meant to augment areas of information and understanding that are not already in place, so by its very design it is not a system for those who know it all. I understand you not understanding because needing to understand something is a form of not knowing, and not knowing something for those who know it all just simply means it isn't worth knowing... for those who know it all. :)

Nice post mgran. Seriously, I really enjoyed reading it.

But I would just like to let you know that knowing it all is a burden in itself. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.