Observations of late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone in the know explain the WAY negative beta move pre and through impact? I just can't seem to get my head around what's being described. Thanks.
The WAY is to jump and pretend you're pulling out the club stuck in the ground, make sure your left arm is vertical (down the line view), keep opening your body and hips, and continue uncocking the wrists.

Is it? Seem to me with all this negative torque it must be. No?

No, I don't think so. That's why I asked the question I did. Especially if the alpha torque is being measured as negative at the handle near impact, then the hands are slowing down allowing the clubhead to speed up passing the hands.

Is it? Seem to me with all this negative torque it must be. No?

A coast into. A massive slow down from the collision.

3wood.jpg

The WAY is to jump and pretend you're pulling out the club stuck in the ground, make sure your left arm is vertical (down the line view), keep opening your body and hips, and continue uncocking the wrists.

Thanks for the help. Which provokes me to ask for more. Can one say that in general that alpha torque is from the arms, beta from the wrists, and gamma from the hands? Again, more or less, since they do bleed together.

Thanks for the graphs grano. This the club head speed, right?

I would seem then that on this shot, presumably a good one from a good player, that the club head slowed down slightly from about 10" before impact into impact and that the acceleration went into negative around 5" pre impact. So it looks like there is a slow down which is independent and unrelated to the collision.

spktho asks an important question: Where is the torque being measured?

Thanks for the graphs grano. This the club head speed, right?

I would seem then that on this shot, presumably a good one from a good player, that the club head slowed down slightly from about 10" before impact into impact and that the acceleration went into negative around 5" pre impact. So it looks like there is a slow down which is independent and unrelated to the collision.

spktho asks an important question: Where is the torque being measured?

On the top graph you see the club head peak around 112ish mph +/- 10" from impact. Then you see a +/- 1mph dip and then a recovery back to 112ish over the remaining distance to impact. That dip and recovery is the shaft going through its recovery. I wouldn't consider that a slow down, but rather a net coast. How well the shaft fits plays a big role in what those last several inches look like.

I see what you're saying about the appearance of what would be a negative acceleration just before impact (if the line kept going), but the graph lines stop at impact. In this case they do not coincide exactly with the reference lines (inches) at the bottom of the graph. At least that's what I was told. :)

On the top graph you see the club head peak around 112ish mph +/- 10" from impact. Then you see a +/- 1mph dip and then a recovery back to 112ish over the remaining distance to impact. That dip and recovery is the shaft going through its recovery. I wouldn't consider that a slow down, but rather a net coast. How well the shaft fits plays a big role in what those last several inches look like.

I see what you're saying about the appearance of what would be a negative acceleration just before impact (if the line kept going), but the graph lines stop at impact. In this case they do not coincide exactly with the reference lines (inches) at the bottom of the graph. At least that's what I was told. :)

Just to be clear on the graphs, MG, the numbers at the bottom represent distance in inches from impact (i.e. about waist high) I had a recent discussion with an instructor that claimed the Speed and Acceleration Profiles are measured in time and measure the G Forces in the shaft beginning at transition. I wasn't so sure.

Just to be clear on the graphs, MG, the numbers at the bottom represent distance in inches from impact (i.e. about waist high) I had a recent discussion with an instructor that claimed the Speed and Acceleration Profiles are measured in time and measure the G Forces in the shaft beginning at transition. I wasn't so sure.

I'm not too sure either, EK. I don't believe it measures anything "in the shaft" nor from the transition. The club head is what's measured and from about waist high is how I understood it explained from FS back when I got the unit. Is that how you understand it?

Is that distance maybe the vertical distance (height) from the impact point? that could explain the usage of G in the acceleration profile axis.

Last edited:
On the graph Acceleration is in fact labeled as being measures in G. G is the mathematical symbol for the Gravitational Constant and g is used to describe gravitational accelerations measured in m per s squared. So it would seem that the graph is referring to gravity is some way. No?

Status
Not open for further replies.