October '03- Never Slice Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

I went to my local playground where I practice short irons and tried this tip with mixed success, although I can definitely see where you're going with it. I just need to get used to this new feeling in the wrist because it's exactly the opposite "twist" from what I was doing.

I have a question - when I do the "twist" the way I think I'm supposed to, I get the feeling of swinging more inside, almost as if I'm coming under the ball. I know I've been coming OTT very bad lately so I assume this is what I want to do. Is this something - swinging on a more inside plane - that results from "the twist"? When you say that flaws don't cause the slice, is this what you're talking about? When I twist the club away from me, I almost can't help but swing more inside. Is it possible I was coming OTT because I was twisting the clubface open, and now that I'm closing it I'm starting to come more inside like I'm supposed to?

gr
quote:By bending the right wrist and twisting the clubface away from you as you swing the club to about chest high on the backswing (PIC 5),

you put the clubface in a far less open position. The completed backswing should have a flat left wrist and a bent right wrist, with the clubface ‘matching’ the angle of the left wrist and arm (PIC 6).

Often, this ‘twist-away’, results in a slightly arched left wrist at the top. But that’s not a bad position to be in as you learn to make your hands do the opposite of what they were doing before.....

Brian,
I'm having trouble with this aspect. Lets say I were to overdo this move greatly, would it feel as though the back of my lead hand is pointing towards the ground or am I way off with the twist away? Is this also known as the swivel?

cheers,

gr

cheers,

EdZ

New
It would feel more like a 'drag' of the back of the lead hand, using the base of the right hand to drag the knuckles, and left THUMB. the 'roll' is as gentle as 'you' can make it (the no roll feel of hitting), or as fast as you want it without hooking (the full roll feel of swinging).

feel like the right palm and left thumb trace the plane, the point where they meet. The difference between hitting and swinging is how much rotation the right palm and left thumb 'feel' like they make on the 'surface' of the plane

EdZ

New
Donkey - extensor action is the answer there - use the right hand to gently extend the left arm. If you do this, you will find that keeping that extension and using the 'twist'- 'sets' the hands, the flying wedges. It will also allow you to square up easier.

In fact, extensor action and 'twist away' are an exceptionally powerful simplification of the 'machine' IMO - given a decent grip.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
BigBadDonkey...

Make sure you are using the "Manzella" grip. That is #1. Then using the "twist-away" you are probably going to end up with an arched wrist. That is "ok," for now. It will help teach you clubface control. Once you learn that control you can "dial back" the "twist away" to simply a FLAT left wrist instead of an ARCHED left wrist.

make sense?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will bear those thoughts in mind.
My grip seems fine, maybe feels a little weak.
I was checking some things out earlier today and noticed I was coming inside way to early.
So I concentrated on keeping my left arm further outsideextendedmore on plane? (whatever you want to call it) from the start off and was getting a flat left wrist at top doing this. I was thinking less twist away and maybe even trying to rotate that left arm a smidgen.
Right or wrong, will hit some balls tommorow and see how it goes.
With this arched wrist I have been getting, I have been fadingslicing more than before. Maybe it's harder to hold the twistswivel with *too much*.
Also, I've been reading lots of contradicting info on the arched left wrist at the top. Some say easier to fade, some say hook, with this position at the top.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
With an arched wrist and a neutral grip you should be able to hit a big draw...if you are going right with this, that means you aren't fully rolling that left arm.

You are "blocking" it right. Don't put so much tension in that right/left arm. Right after impact let that left arm fold. Look at "Never Slice Again" and look at how rolled the left arm is.

Once you add that to your arched wrist it will probably be fore left lol. But when you dial it back to flat it should be small draw or dead straight

Hi Brian

I've just joined the Forum after a few recommendations from some of the guys on FGI.

The site looks excellent and the amount of content is gonna take a lot of time to read and no doubt even more time to understand.

Anyway is it ok just to achieve a backswing position shown in pic 5 rather than the fuller swing in pic 6?
I've been trying to achieve a flat left wrist for a few weeks and find this shorter position gives me a very powerful. consistent ball flight, with just the odd pull or block but it does feel unusual amd until I saw this picture thought I'd misunderstood the concept.

Cheers
Steve

quote:Originally posted by brianman

quote:Originally posted by bcoak

Brian,
I have a question regarding the the pics comparing the right wrist bend method vs. the wristcock method. There is a drill that is widely taught where you assume your stance, hold the club parallel to the ground, cock your wrists up , and then turn to the top to be in the "correct" position. Can you do this drill with your method to get to your proper/taught position?
thanks.

Thanks bcoak for a great HALL OF FAME! question.

The answer is this drill that they teach with the club cocking straight up and then turn to get to the top is WRONG WRONG WRONG!

The club would be DEAD open at the top, off plane, and over your head ;)

How would a certain Ben Hogan do this drill?

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Never Slice Again
By Brian Manzella

move the clubhead backward by bending the right wrist straight back while you bend the right elbow toward you. Your hands should stay directly in front of you as you do this (PIC 2).
octpic2.gif

If you do this correctly, the shaft will stay parallel to the ground, and the clubface will remain vertical to the ground. This is exactly the motion your hands should do during the backswing.

question here, is the angle of the right wrist bend critical? I broke my right wrist several times as a child, and well, i can't get my wrist back near 70-80 degrees like it is in the above picture. I can get it to about 55-65 degrees.

what would i do to compensate for this? Or should I just leave it at going back as far as my wrist will allow?

Brian, is this move just for people who slice the ball?

I was at the Celtic Manor Wales Open in june and I saw LOADS of pros working on this move, bending the right wrist in the takeaway, its how they took the club back, I saw Paul lawrie, brett rumford, Barry Lane and many more doing this move.

thanks,
Rick

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ricky1990 said:
Brian, is this move just for people who slice the ball?

I was at the Celtic Manor Wales Open in june and I saw LOADS of pros working on this move, bending the right wrist in the takeaway, its how they took the club back, I saw Paul lawrie, brett rumford, Barry Lane and many more doing this move.

thanks,
Rick

No Rick,

It is NOT JUST for slicers.

Very easy to have the club more open at the top and hit nice little draw.

Brian -
When you say "bend it as far as you can", would that include bending it more than the amount of bend at impact fix? If so, would it then be okay to release the amount of bend in excess of impact fix prior to impact? Would that increase speed / power as long as you do not release more than impact fix right wrist bend?

Thanks - Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.