OCTOBER 3RD, 2006 — 8:00 EDT — LIVE THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Hello folks,

We can talk about anything that is on your minds tonight.

The Takeaways and The Pivot discussions are just ideas.

It is now 7:58 EDT....

If anyone is ready....fire away:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ok, I'll start.

I feel very strongly that FORCING the club up A plane that is parallel to the stance line on the backswing is NOT always the best procedure.

See Hogan and Snead.

Putting

Hey Brian, thanks for the live chat. What are the most common problems you see people have with their putting and is there a couple of fundamentals that all really good putters have?

Thanks,
Jim S.

Hi Brian -RFT - I can 'feel' this 2 ways -1 the elbow bends some and stays close to the side as the right wrist bends and pulls the left wrist flat, or I can 'feel' the right arm move straight away from the target - right elbow would move away from the side and the right arm would stay 'on top' of the left will into the backswing (this feels like a 'Monty' swing with a lot of float loading) - Is one better than the other?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
starretj said:
Hey Brian, thanks for the live chat. What are the most common problems you see people have with their putting and is there a couple of fundamentals that all really good putters have?

Thanks,
Jim S.

Jim, we WILL get to your question soon...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
blehnhard said:
Hi Brian -RFT - I can 'feel' this 2 ways -1 the elbow bends some and stays close to the side as the right wrist bends and pulls the left wrist flat, or I can 'feel' the right arm move straight away from the target - right elbow would move away from the side and the right arm would stay 'on top' of the left will into the backswing (this feels like a 'Monty' swing with a lot of float loading) - Is one better than the other?

I think there are MANY different ways to perform a RFT.

But...you are really talking about different plane shifts or WIDTH differences.

Last edited:

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Brian Manzella said:
I feel very strongly that FORCING the club up A plane that is parallel to the stance line on the backswing is NOT always the best procedure.

See Hogan and Snead.
When and how do you differentiate, Brian?

Through the ball?????

quick sentence on that? Also, should I be focusing on a swinging motion? I feel like I am firing (thrusting) my right forearm vs. using cent. force.

Brian Manzella said:

See Hogan and Snead.

From my experiences, I feel the same way. (from experimenting myself)

I've always thought that it felt like too much work and too flimsy and not as powerful lifting the club up like that.....and it feels like it's not where "the club WANTS to go" either.

And just like you said....a more inside takeaway has been already validated by Hogan and Snead and however many other great golfers.

So I don't use a RFT. (myself)

It just has never felt natural and I don't feel comfortable with it or hit it as good. (for me anyway)

Funny that you said "forcing" cause that's how I've always felt in a way....it's not where my club WANTS to go.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
30yrlayoff said:
quick sentence on that? Also, should I be focusing on a swinging motion? I feel like I am firing (thrusting) my right forearm vs. using cent. force.

By thru the ball, I mean the DOWNSWING.

You can fire (& thrust) your right forearm and still pivot.

But it ain't PURE hitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.