Orthodox or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends whether you're trying to knock the socks off it or find the fairway I guess... so I thought I'd ask Svenster what he's focusing on... which is more imprtant to HIM.

GolfHappy,

Like the Osmonds "I'm a little bit distance, and a little bit accuracy."

Seriously, like everyone else I want more distance with my driver (as long as the ball stays in the fairway) and more accuracy with my shorter shots, be they lay-ups or pin-hunting.

Most importantly, though, I'd like consistency. For me that means being able to hit the ball the same distance (per club) to the general vicinity of where I'm "aiming".

For me, at least, I think changing to a more upright swing will enable me to first and foremost have a more consistent full shot swing which in theory should result in more consistent, er, results.

dbl

New
Svenster was agreeing with our host's view and your taking issue with Svenster's conclusions, to what point?

Who wouldn't want a more consistent process of swinging a club versus where he is now? If you say, YOU, then I think you have lost any credibility.

I'm not exactly sure of my distances but I'd say a really good drive (distance and in the fairway) for me would be in the 230 range and an 'acceptable' one, or should I say, an average drive would be between 200-220 max. Not long at all imho, but I'm think that getting my shoulders, and more importantly, my arms more 'involved' in the swing just might be the ticket.

I haven't "upright swung" my driver yet so I'm thinking on my next trip to the range I'll hit a few "one planers" first and then see if there's any difference changing to upright.

Full report when test completed.

Svenster was agreeing with our host's view and your taking issue with Svenster's conclusions, to what point?

Who wouldn't want a more consistent process of swinging a club versus where he is now? If you say, YOU, then I think you have lost any credibility.

What issue am I making, I just asked a QUESTION. I haven't criticised him for his reply or opinions.

When I am talking to someone (not you) I'd like to ask the questions that I want to ask if that's OK with you?

I'm not exactly sure of my distances but I'd say a really good drive (distance and in the fairway) for me would be in the 230 range and an 'acceptable' one, or should I say, an average drive would be between 200-220 max. Not long at all imho, but I'm think that getting my shoulders, and more importantly, my arms more 'involved' in the swing just might be the ticket.

I haven't "upright swung" my driver yet so I'm thinking on my next trip to the range I'll hit a few "one planers" first and then see if there's any difference changing to upright.

Full report when test completed.

230yds is a good distance to play the course, unless you have ambitions of turning pro at some stage??
There's a scratch golfer at my club who hits it no more than 230yds but he finds the fairway practically every time.
The guy I played with yesterday hit most of his drives under 200yds (most were 190yds and two got out to 220yds) and shot 5 over par.

Ok, if you're 15 years old and have ambition then 230yds isn't going to make the grade to be a hotshot golfer... but i'm not rude enough to ask your age ;) :)

dbl

New
What issue am I making, I just asked a QUESTION. I haven't criticised him for his reply or opinions.

When I am talking to someone (not you) I'd like to ask the questions that I want to ask if that's OK with you?

A thread is a like a partyline.

In this thread, with suggestions of bannings being possible, you are questioning someone who embraced our hosts views (from the OP), and my question to you was to what end? An alternative response from you would be: Great, Svenster, you may well indeed find the success you want in your golfing by returning more to the swing of your youth, across all clubs.

Personally, I think the detailed questions on a person's swing belong in another thread, and this one can be about the upright non-centered elements the OP asked about.

An alternative response from you would be: Great, Svenster, you may well indeed find the success you want in your golfing by returning more to the swing of your youth, across all clubs.

And now you're telling me what my replies should be??? :eek:

GolfHappy and dbl,

I'm not taking any offense at all, although my intent in my first post here wasn't to discuss my distance (or my own perceived lack of same).

I do hope that my switching to an upright swing (along with all the other elements Brian mentioned) does increase my distance but I'm not expecting to give anyone other than my usual playing partners any competition in that regard.

BTW, I'm thinking that my body size/type just might be a factor in my decision to switch. I'm 5' 9", about 155, slim build and not all that flexible (although I'm planning to work on that aspect). Oh, and I'm a young 57 y.o. I'm also thinking that it could it be that my body size/type is just more suited to a more upright swing. We shall see.

/me (for now)

Yeh I only asked because you said..

"I had some (sporadic) success with it but always felt that I had no power and that there was no way I could improve"

..and was wondering just how much power you felt you needed and what you meant by 'improve' as that could mean distance or control, or indeed both.

Sorry that it didn't meet DBL's criteria for asking a question ;)

James.

Depends whether you're trying to knock the socks off it or find the fairway I guess... so I thought I'd ask Svenster what he's focusing on... which is more imprtant to HIM.

Not my point. My point was that most of the things that will increase your distance will also increase your accuracy. Especially at the "regular golfer" level of swing speed.

Top class athletes are very insecure this is what drives their excessive perfectionism and obsessiveness to improve. Normal well balanced people don't have these traits, normal people wouldn't be out there on the range at 7am the next day after winning a major working on their swing like Tiger does. Normal people just aren't that obsessed with anything in their lives.
Not to mention the huge ego that top class athletes have to possess in order to get to the top of their sport. I never said Tiger had low self esteem or was mentally weak, I would imagine his self esteem can fluctuate greatly.

Ya but what is normal? How can you define it so rigidly? IF someone is healthy and not hurting others, what's the difference? You live a good life.

You may be right, I have no idea. But I am skeptical. The guy must be doing some things right, and I don't just mean golf-specific. "Human Analysis" can be complex, no doubt.

nwb beat me to it!

'Orthodox' swings have a poor record with Joe Average. The average golfer can't perform or better yet MAINTAIN a Nicklaus style golf swing.

I use a big syrupy old school swing with my longer clubs, and a much quieter centered pivot pattern with my shorter clubs.

What do you mean "maintain", sm?? Hard on the body? If so- go easier! Not sure what u mean though.

How do you do more centered? With your pivot Action or just setup different and take it back shorter, or whatever?

lia41985

Irons:
Ernie Els: Swing sequence: Ernie Els: Golf Digest
Anthony Kim: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjYG4HX3TuA[/media]
Stuart Appleby: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2f8bzmOODQ[/media]
Sergio Garcia: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OCqYWL_IXs[/media]
Luke Donald: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVW8DBHWXv8[/media]
Davis Love III: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAzBiyvSfLE[/media]
Alvaro Quiros: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAAmEUXdn0Y[/media]

Last edited:

lia41985

By the way, Jamie Sadlowski is being interviewed by Rich Lerner right now on The Golf Channel. Nick Faldo, chiming in, and comparing Jamie's swing to Bubba's points out how in their swings they get their hands "touching the sky, otherwise you have no chance."

Status
Not open for further replies.