OT: New Tiger Ad -- Tasteless or Brilliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
he's starting to look like HOmer Simpson
homer-simpson.gif

what bothered me more was that "southern preacher" billy payne (master's chair) wax poetic on morality ...since when is the masters the beacon of morality with it's history of denying non whites (and jews) membership...hell trevino wouldn't even use their locker room!

westy

New
You need to watch this. Its important.
<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Hf1WALHmNk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Hf1WALHmNk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>

I guess the thing I don't get, even if you are not bothered by it, is why exactly is it 'brilliant?'

It's not THAT hard to get taped conversations with somebody, mix it and then play it over.

It certainly doesn't sell the Nike product.

3JACK

Weiden and Kennedy have long been the people behind the Nike co. and their advertising and there is a reason why..they get people talking and get people worked up. If you don't understand why it's brilliant..That's why. You are participating in the discussion and you are helping create the "controversy", which of course is what they want. Thus the commercial. People that have never watched golf before Thursday, watched golf. Just to see his reaction and how he played. In the end..Nike will win and sell alot of product this weekend and over the next few weeks, months and years especially if he wins. People don't really care what certain athletes do off the field of play, especially if they win. People love winners.. Need proof? Remember Kobe Bryant cheating on his wife? Yeah, guess who has the top selling jersey in the NBA for the last 2 years, you guessed it Kobe. Alot of kids and fathers wear that jersey. Eventually people forget and forgive. If this ad is the result of more people that are non golfers being reached, which I believe is their thinking, then they have accomplished their goal.

Call me crazy but I ain't never been into Nike and especially don't have any big plans to start now. Can't speak for the rest of the shoe-wearing world.

I don't really care about the commercial either way. It left me flat. Never really liked Nike anyway.

Well if it was to sell products it backfired because I will never buy anything now. I would never desecrate my dead fathers reputation by using it for commercial gain off of some highly immoral behavior.
IMHO.
I am going to throw out my sneakers as soon as I finish posting.

A few days before this add appeaared I called Damon Lucas for a fitting session at his teaching facility at Lake Presidential Golf Club, the sight of Brian's First GTE. I was bringing a Junior Golfer out to get on Damon's Flightscope. The fitting cart available was Nike Branded. All the bells and whistles. Some really great product all with quick release shafts and heads. Needless to say, the session went expertly and we arrived at a set configuration for the young man. All that was needed was to place an order. Of the 13 clubs needed only one was not Nike. Well into the first minute of discussing the new clubs, the young man's mother said, " Absolutely no Nike. " And that was that.

From reading the comments on this forum and on Facebook, I see that a lot of people don't understand why the ad is so controversial. Well, plain and simple, it's the use of his desceased father's voice taken out of context for self promotion.
My mother passed away in 1980. I have this cassette reel of her voice in a casual conversation with my father. Even 30 years later, I have trouble listening to that tape without crying. I could never imagine using my mother's voice taken out of context for commercial gain. The Nike ad makes you question what is going on in Tiger Woods' head.

I don't believe in 'there is no such thing as bad publiciity.' I was a marketing and advertising major in college and did quite a few studies on this theory and my conclusion is it's absolutely false. From my experience, the 'there is no such thing as bad publicity' is just an excuse for those who made bad publicity and is often a crutch for unwise marketers of a product.

Is this commercial going to sell shoes? Is it going to help brand the company anymore than it's already branded? Is it going to make the public aware of Tiger Woods anymore than it is already?

The overwhelming reaction I've seen from it is quite negative and there is no positive impact that I can see coming from the ad for Nike or Tiger. I suspect those who like the commercial are diehard, loyal Tiger fans who would stick with Tiger and Nike regardless of this incident. That's fine, I don't like his actions but like I've said it's not like he killed somebody.

But claiming that this ad is brilliant is still puzzling to me. And 'getting them talking' often means nothing.

3JACK

Meh...

That commercial wasn't that big of a deal.

Tiger should give all his sponsors that ditched him the middle finger, and just play golf. Stop trying to be this all purpose superstar that isn't suppose to curse or bonk plenty of women. He should just be himself.

I'm still a fan!

imac

New
Meh...

That commercial wasn't that big of a deal.

Tiger should give all his sponsors that ditched him the middle finger, and just play golf. Stop trying to be this all purpose superstar that isn't suppose to curse or bonk plenty of women. He should just be himself.

I'm still a fan!

I kinda lean this way, too. "Finding himself" in all this should prove to be interesting. As far as the ad goes - I think this was Nike's way of pushing the "reset" button on the commercial use of Tiger. Interesting that it aired for less than 24 hrs. As far as pushing product for Nike, the past commercial use of Tiger has been a successful undertaking to capitalize on and further strengthen an image of athletic dominance, power, and perfection - alpha male stuff. The multiple female partners does not really interfere with that. That being said, I understand that his wife would not be thrilled with this behavior. If I was her, I'd bail. This whole thing continues to be a major fascination for most of us. Even those of you who are sick of it can't wait for the next chapter - train wreck or phoenix rising.

Status
Not open for further replies.