Path or Clubface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Path or Clubface.

I have always beat the drum for "It's the Clubface Stupid," when it comes to a root cause of golfer's ball-flight problems.

And, for a majority of golfers out there, who twist the clubshaft a whole bunch on the backswing and don't twist it back, it is the clubface.

But, for better players, it is the PATH, pure and simple.

Period.

important thread

i believe that big misses for good and bad players come from face and centeredness of hit....bad paths obviously add to the sidespin but the face parameter has much more potential dispersion than the path parameter does....

just my guess

I have always beat the drum for "It's the Clubface Stupid," when it comes to a root cause of golfer's ball-flight problems.

And, for a majority of golfers out there, who twist the clubshaft a whole bunch on the backswing and don't twist it back, it is the clubface.

Period.

What do you define as a "better player?"

My vote goes for the clubface. Some guys like Tiger may have path issues, but somebody like Furyk I believe if he misses a shot it's because his face was a little off.

3JACK

just talked to brian....he says i don't know what i'm talking about because i haven't taught enough on trackman.....

he's right about that - so i guess he may be right about the path being more important to better players....we'll see

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Most better players ive seen on Trackman with regard to numbers only usually have consistent attack angle and delivered loft - hence the actual strike is good. Path is USUALLY pretty consistent with the face being the runaway winner as the most inconsistent.

Now why that is could be debatable. Maybe the face is poor because the path doesnt jive with the target and requires a different ratio of closing or opening through the set.

What about a better player who swings in to out say about 3-5 degrees?

Isn't the clubface going to be "on average" much less stable/more difficult to control than if that better player was "zeroed out"? Meaning the clubface will want to naturally be closing through impact and there's going to be a lot of hands steering the clubface through impact= inconsistentcy of clubface.

i agree that it's definitely clubface for a weekend golfer (slicer) and path as you get to the higher levels. but i don't think the average golfer realizes how important that clubface is in the whole equation. path is secondary and easier to fix, imo. divots help tell that story.

What about a better player who swings in to out say about 3-5 degrees?

Isn't the clubface going to be "on average" much less stable/more difficult to control than if that better player was "zeroed out"? Meaning the clubface will want to naturally be closing through impact and there's going to be a lot of hands steering the clubface through impact= inconsistentcy of clubface.

i'd be curious what trackman thought about something similar to this. i've always wondered if you are better off being a few degrees in-to-out (or out-to-in), to protect against a double-cross. in other words, that zeroing out may open up to more errors both left and right unless your clubface comes thru perfectly.

hp12c

New

Period.

This has the makings of a mega thread.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
i'd be curious what trackman thought about something similar to this. i've always wondered if you are better off being a few degrees in-to-out (or out-to-in), to protect against a double-cross. in other words, that zeroing out may open up to more errors both left and right unless your clubface comes thru perfectly.

No chance.

The CLUBFACE MUST BE OPEN TO THE PLANE TO HIT A STRAIGHT SHOT.

So....to hit a straight shot, i.e., a 0° over 0° shot, you need to swing left and have CLUBFACE OPEN TO THE PLANE!

Double cross?

Nah.

Since the question asked about "Tour Players" specifically, I suppose the only person who could really answer this is someone who works with a lot of tour players and uses TRACKMAN on all or most of them. Even then it might be difficult because their real bad ones come in competition under the gun, when no data would be available anyway. I teach several "good players" but no tour players. There is a BIG difference. I also notice TRACKMAN is pretty tight lipped about club delivery numbers of the top guys.

I think it's fair to say that, when a lot of better players start to struggle, their paths have changed a little from where they normally are. I've found that the lessons that get these guys playing well again are usually concerned with path-influencing changes (setup or swing).

That's my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.