Path or Clubface

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeAce

I see the path for both, but it effects to the club face.

Bad players are too often no the line too early and have to drag the club causing open face.

I also notice TRACKMAN is pretty tight lipped about club delivery numbers of the top guys.

Why is that? I could see having the individual numbers for the top players being a good thing. Especially if you could see the numbers for each of the leaders in specific categories (straightest drivers, longest drivers, leaders of total driving, approaches from 225-250, 175-200, 150-175 etc.) instead of the "tour averages". The averages can be skewed by players who aren't optimum/are lower ranked whereas the leaders in each category might be a better way to determine what we should be doing.

I choose answer C, the state of mind, assuming we are talking about folks with close to ideal, highly repeatable swing grooved over years to the highest standard, folks with no face or path problems as a whole. the 99 percentile folks.

By state of mind I mean if the player is not most optimally committed to the execution of the shot, from a variety of reasons, say, pressure/anxiety building up inside, fatigue leading to brief second of mental daze, a little twitch in the lumbar area, etc, the timing of the swing may be slightly off. It is conceivable that one nanosecond deviation from the optimal norm may lead to a shot with either path or face problem or both. At their swing speed, this tiny flaw can blossom into a ball flying way off the course.

Last edited:
No chance.

The CLUBFACE MUST BE OPEN TO THE PLANE TO HIT A STRAIGHT SHOT.

So....to hit a straight shot, i.e., a 0° over 0° shot, you need to swing left and have CLUBFACE OPEN TO THE PLANE!

Double cross?

Nah.

It wasn't long ago you said square to the face of the plane not open, I'm not sure you have actually changed your mind on this.

I also notice TRACKMAN is pretty tight lipped about club delivery numbers of the top guys.

Who do you want? I have a lot.

I'll start exporting some, best data is with driver for obvious reasons. If anyone can tell me how to upload in PDF format in the meantime please do.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
James,

I don't know where you get your info but Brian has never said square to the plane line for a zeroed out straight shot.

You guys....

They are PDF's, just wondered the best way to post up here for people.

I have DJ, not Bubba. Will probably put up DJ, Sergio, Furyk, Goose, Love, Weekly, Day, Rose in a new thread when ready.

Thanks Jarid.

2zqegch.jpg

Could someone please explain to my simple mind in simple terms what happened with shot 3? As I understand it:

He hit 2* down.
The clubhead was travelling 4.5 degrees left (left of what exactly?)
His HSP/swing direction was 6.7* left (left of what exactly?), and the 4.5* (above) was the true path because he hit down 2* with his given VSP. BTW, how does trackman define swign direction/HSP?

So far so good?

The face alignment was 0.8* left (left of what exactly?) thus meaning it was open to the true path by 3.7* and open to the swing direction/HSP by 5.9*.
The ball started 1.3* left (of what exactly?) which was between the face and the true path but much closer to the face and had 5.9* of "slice" spin because the face was open to the true path.
It landed 12.0 yds right (right of what exactly) and bounced another 2.3yds right ending 14.3 yds right.
His smash factor of 1.49 was higher than his average suggesting that he maybe hit it a little off the toe side, but not enough off the toe to produce a big "gear effect hook".

Am I taking shite?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
"of what exactly" would be the target line, ie. where the trackman was aimed. I'd say that, you're correct; he probably did hit it a little off the toe. Given his vertical and horizontal differentials, I'd expect (through 3D diagramming, not calculations) a spin axis tilted right about 15 degrees (EDIT: 14.95° after calculating). Since his resulting SA was only 5.9 degrees, a toe hit was likely the cause.

Last edited:
Thanks mj, much appreciated.

What vertical and horizontal differentials are you referring to and how do you conclude they would have resulted in a spin axis tilted right about 15 degrees (had he not hit it off the toe)?

Well, what I call "Vertical Differential," Trackman calls Spin Loft. So, that's the vertical angle between +11.9° (Vertical Face) and -2° (Vertical Path) = 13.9°.

Horizontal Differential is the horizontal angle between the 4.5°L Face and the 0.8°L = 3.7°. It's just a calculated number that represents the horizontal component of 3D Spin Loft. The angle above would be the vertical component of 3D Spin Loft.

I guess the answer would be to have a tour player snap hook a few accidentally on trackman......good luck with that as they are not snap hooking it too much on the range...

When trackman is on the course the setup is for ball flight only I'm assuming.......

I think that Sasho Mackenzie's stuff on shaft bending modes and it's effect on club face orientation is a big clue as to which parameter is most guilty when crappy shots are hit.....that and centeredness of contact which raise spin numbers a bunch

I think each of our own interpretations of what the "cause" is could still yield either answer.

Does a shot that starts more or less at the target and hooks off of it (assume: face at target, path inside-out) and a shot that starts left of the target and hooks from there (assume: path at target, face closed) have different "causes?"

Status
Not open for further replies.