Phil Mickelson the new anti-pelz

Status
Not open for further replies.
His new putting coach/teacher/mentor/hero is Dave Stockton Sr?

I know he is a good putter, anyone know what method he teaches (like SBST or arch)?

Phil seems more crouched from my (untrained) eye....

Any thoughts or any info of the breakup?

Thanks
JeffS

Watch Phil today and look at his grip. To my eye it looks it's definitely not grip up the lifeline of the left palm, but rather more like a standard golf grip.

Dave Stockton uses the right elbow piston style of putting which is similar to what Ben Doyle demonstrate in his video "How to Build a G.O.L.F. Game

His putting video was the biggest waste of money. He advocates a hands-forward setup and a strong grip to counteract the tendency to leave the face open with the hands-forward setup. He is the only one on tour that putts this way. I saw him 4 putt a green last August at Bellerive by power-pulling 2 short putts. Most of his misses under pressure are strong pulls.

DS has a slight inside backstroke and a pretty straight down the line through stroke. A definite "flat spot" before and after impact. If you are one who thinks Pelz and Utley are the two extreme sides of the spectrum, he seems much closer to the straighter side than arcing side.

More importantly, Phil needs someone to help him with a wardrobe.

Someone needs to inform him he does not have Camillo Villegas's body and should stay away from most of the items in his current wardrobe.

Grip

Watch Phil today and look at his grip. To my eye it looks it's definitely not grip up the lifeline of the left palm, but rather more like a standard golf grip.

Softconsult,

I think you will find that a constant for many years. He won on the PGA tour with that basic grip when he was an amateur, in college and with unlimited potential.

I think a discussion about potential in athletics would be a very interesting thread to the members of this forum. Let's indulge ourselves in the limitless potential of this discussion.

Great golf to everyone!:):)

MK

Seems like a pretty lateral move from one tailor to the next...

72444957.jpg
91030624.jpg

Yes, he is the runner up for worst golf shirts ever, coming in a distant second to Woody Austin. What kind of collar is that?

However, he absolutely put on a clinic yesterday with the flat stick so something is working with his putting changes.

More importantly, Phil needs someone to help him with a wardrobe.

Someone needs to inform him he does not have Camillo Villegas's body and should stay away from most of the items in his current wardrobe.

No doubt! My wife & I were watching the end of the match yesterday, and she looked at me and said "What the hell is he wearing - if you dressed like that to play, I wouldn't let you leave the house!":eek::D

jeffy

Banned
Yes, he is the runner up for worst golf shirts ever, coming in a distant second to Woody Austin. What kind of collar is that?

However, he absolutely put on a clinic yesterday with the flat stick so something is working with his putting changes.

Agreed on both points. Why doesn't he just get some nice Fairway & Greene shirts, or ask Vijay for some of his old ones??

I'm not Lefty's biggest fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching him play yesterday (and couldn't bear to watch Tiger). Phil seemed in total command.

The comment from Phil that stuck out for me was that Stockton, in essence, let him go back to doing what he wanted to do and was comfortable doing -- the way he putted years ago. It reminds me of Brian's comment about the reason Haney initially clicked for Tiger was that he let him go back to swinging on the elbow plane, which is what he grew up doing and wanted to do in the first place. Sometimes the best thing a teacher can do is let someone who is outstanding do want they want to do in the first place?

I'm no expert on Phil's putting stroke, but it doesn't look that different to me now. I think Brian has said before that Phil has too much "travel" in his stroke to be as consistent as he needs to be.

Based on his own DVD, what he and Pelz worked on with his putting was aim, green reading, and face angle at impact. My guess is, he will continue to work on those elements in the same ways. What has changed seems to be how he approaches the stroke, which by his admission, was his own and not Pelz's. Getting help from Stockton seems like a brilliant move (obviously), and seemed to click with getting him to implement the other elements he's been working on. IMO, Phil also had some "iffy" ideas about putting dynamics. He talked about, on longer putts, to hit the putt as hard as possible so as to be able to make a much smaller back stroke. I've only ever heard him perscribe that method which never seemed reliable to me. I wonder if Stockton is in that camp or is showing him a better way of approaching those type putts?

Glad he played well yesterday. I've always admired the way he embraces new ideas and out of the box thinking wether it be with equipment or instruction. You never know what you'll get with him. He and Tiger make for good opposite sides of the coin.

Just an observation. . .when I try something different with the swing or putting stroke, it almost always works really well to start with. Maybe it's confidence? I don't know, but Phil seemed very confident. You make a few and you feel like you can make them all. I believe Phil said it made him feel like a kid again. . . and that's got to be a good thing. It was fun to watch.

Burner

New
Oh yeh?

No doubt! My wife & I were watching the end of the match yesterday, and she looked at me and said "What the hell is he wearing - if you dressed like that to play, I wouldn't let you leave the house!":eek::D

If you came back with the kind of dough he does, she would sure let you back in! :D

dbl

New
He talked about, on longer putts, to hit the putt as hard as possible so as to be able to make a much smaller back stroke. I've only ever heard him perscribe that method which never seemed reliable to me. I wonder if Stockton is in that camp or is showing him a better way of approaching those type putts?

Not sure the technique, but the announcers said during the Sunday rounnd that on the Tour Champ. weekend he had so far made (6) 20 footers, whereas through the year prior to this, he had only made 13.

I bet Stockton is giving him mental help AND something about technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.