Not open for further replies.
Quick iron set history.

1994-Mizuno MP14
1998-Cleveland TA1
2001-Titleist forged cavity
2002-Mizuno MP14 re-chromed
2005-Mizuno MP32
2009-Titleist MB

So, you can see my preference for forged blade irons. My recent Titleist MB's lasted all of 18 months and the 6 and 7 irons have very little in the way of grooves remaining. Being and consistent range rat does not lend it's self to long living forgings, so I started to consider alternatives. I looked at all the cast irons on the market and really found myself drawn to Ping (for the first time, believe me).

Now, before I vomit admitting this, hear me out. What I was after was a club that looked and performed like a blade, but would last a while longer. I asked Manzella what his thoughts were and he suggested the Ping s56.

I went to a demo day and did not hate the look, so I hit some shots. High, low, fade, draw and some knockdowns all were easily doable. I went ahead, got fitted and received them 2 weeks ago (probably 6 rounds and at least 12 hours of range time).

Now my review. I do not think they are anymore forgiving and there is a lack of mis-hit feed back, but you can still tell how and where you hit it on the face. The irons do however have some unique trajectories on stock shots between short irons and long irons. For instance the short irons have very good mid to boring trajectory and the 4 and 5 irons launch a bit higher than my previous set. Great leading edges, no offensive offset, nice top line and they have farrels (sp?) which most pings don't.

The set is 3-pw, blue dot, 1/2 inch long with x100's. If I have complaint it is that I had to re-grip them day one because the Ping sent them with ribbed or reminder grips. By the way, who can use those things? And on a players iron for God's sake?

Anyway, anyone who know me thinks this is a sign of the end of days. I still believe the best irons are made by Muira, especially the small blades, but I can't afford to buy new irons every year. I think these Pings are legit and a nice compromise.

Just thought I would share...

Lindsey

ZAP

New
Brett called. He says if you just switch irons every year you can get what you want. Of course if I had his money I would burn mine.
My irons last forever since I hate driving ranges.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I play the S58 irons; here is a brief history:

S59: Tended to hit the lowest and preferred by most better players including the Tour.
S58: Fairy redesigned from the S59 and were flighted via COG placing; ie high COG for short irons to fly lower and low COG in long irons to hit higher.
S57: Similar design to the S58 with milled faces and a toe weight to help with MOI and specifically toe hits. These also went from a brushed finish to a more chrome like finish. Much easier to scratch up and look horrible. Also from the milled faces and weaker lofts these were actually short hitting irons due to them being too spinny.
S56: Haven't had a chance to demo but essentially from what i have read/been told these are the S57 modified a bit to hit longer and reduce the spinny ball and not much of a difference.

Now personally i don't know how much stock i put into the whole maltby playability factor but one thing that intrigued me was how the S58's fell into the "game improvement" category for how easy they were supposed to be to hit. Every other S series (regardless of improvement) has a worse playability factor based on how he measures the data which mostly has to do with where the COG is placed.

I have played the S58's for a few seasons now and love them and really don't have a need to change them especially since they are the more brushed finish so they never look "horrible." They have the same style of flighted launch and have some of the easiest long irons i have ever hit for such a compact body. Might be worth it to demo the S58 vs the S56 and see if you notice a significant difference as you might be able to save some cash and go with the S58's.

Lindsey,

Obviously, you prefer forged, blade-like (or straight up blade) irons. For future reference, I would suggest looking into Tom Wishon's 555 c/m lines. They blend perfectly if you want a small cavity in some of the longer clubs, but a blade in the shorter clubs. Great top line (looks thinner to me than some Mizuno clubs, and I have the cavity version), low offset, compact shape. Overall, really clean lines, and nothing "flashy" or plastic anywhere on them.

More importantly, they are forged out of a slightly harder metal (1035, as opposed to 1025, I think). This is supposed to increase their longevity while not sacrificing much in the way of the soft, forged feel.

I play a fair amount of golf, and I haven't noticed groove wear on my irons. While some of them are starting to develop wear on the faces/sweetspot, this hasn't affected their performance.

On another note, isn't it true that you can't bend Ping clubs for loft/lie unless you send them to the factory? Is the metal really that hard?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
On another note, isn't it true that you can't bend Ping clubs for loft/lie unless you send them to the factory? Is the metal really that hard?

No, my builder was able to bend them you just won't get them as accurate since ping has a fancy digital machine. Takes finese though so don't give them to some random builder.

Lindsey,

Obviously, you prefer forged, blade-like (or straight up blade) irons. For future reference, I would suggest looking into Tom Wishon's 555 c/m lines. They blend perfectly if you want a small cavity in some of the longer clubs, but a blade in the shorter clubs. Great top line (looks thinner to me than some Mizuno clubs, and I have the cavity version), low offset, compact shape. Overall, really clean lines, and nothing "flashy" or plastic anywhere on them.

More importantly, they are forged out of a slightly harder metal (1035, as opposed to 1025, I think). This is supposed to increase their longevity while not sacrificing much in the way of the soft, forged feel.

I play a fair amount of golf, and I haven't noticed groove wear on my irons. While some of them are starting to develop wear on the faces/sweetspot, this hasn't affected their performance.

I have never seen a Wishon in the flesh, but I know they are highly regarded. Will keep that in mind and thanks.

Quick iron set history.

1994-Mizuno MP14
1998-Cleveland TA1
2001-Titleist forged cavity
2002-Mizuno MP14 re-chromed
2005-Mizuno MP32
2009-Titleist MB

So, you can see my preference for forged blade irons. My recent Titleist MB's lasted all of 18 months and the 6 and 7 irons have very little in the way of grooves remaining. Being and consistent range rat does not lend it's self to long living forgings, so I started to consider alternatives. I looked at all the cast irons on the market and really found myself drawn to Ping (for the first time, believe me).

Now, before I vomit admitting this, hear me out. What I was after was a club that looked and performed like a blade, but would last a while longer. I asked Manzella what his thoughts were and he suggested the Ping s56.

I went to a demo day and did not hate the look, so I hit some shots. High, low, fade, draw and some knockdowns all were easily doable. I went ahead, got fitted and received them 2 weeks ago (probably 6 rounds and at least 12 hours of range time).

Now my review. I do not think they are anymore forgiving and there is a lack of mis-hit feed back, but you can still tell how and where you hit it on the face. The irons do however have some unique trajectories on stock shots between short irons and long irons. For instance the short irons have very good mid to boring trajectory and the 4 and 5 irons launch a bit higher than my previous set. Great leading edges, no offensive offset, nice top line and they have farrels (sp?) which most pings don't.

The set is 3-pw, blue dot, 1/2 inch long with x100's. If I have complaint it is that I had to re-grip them day one because the Ping sent them with ribbed or reminder grips. By the way, who can use those things? And on a players iron for God's sake?

Anyway, anyone who know me thinks this is a sign of the end of days. I still believe the best irons are made by Muira, especially the small blades, but I can't afford to buy new irons every year. I think these Pings are legit and a nice compromise.

Just thought I would share...

Lindsey

Didn't Hogan have reminder grips turned a special way?

I like the s56's and the i15's. Heck, I kinda like the G15 long irons. I don't mind the offset as much as some, especially in the long irons. I grew up playing eye2+'s for what it's worth.

Didn't Hogan have reminder grips turned a special way?

I like the s56's and the i15's. Heck, I kinda like the G15 long irons. I don't mind the offset as much as some, especially in the long irons. I grew up playing eye2+'s for what it's worth.

Yes, I believe I read somewhere that Hogan did have reminder grips, but what the hell did he ever do with that flat, laid off, under plane, slide ahead off it, block slice move. Proof positive that only scrubs use reminder grips.....................JUST KIDDING

I always wanted a set of eye 2's just to have, but when I started playing golf, that hideous Zing 2 was being sold. Actually, a good friend and one of the best am's in Ohio played the Zing 2's until a year ago. I had to look at those things about 30 times a year in his bag. Now, he plays the G15 and acts like they are McGregor VIP blades.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe I read somewhere that Hogan did have reminder grips, but what the he'll did he ever do with that flat, laid off, under plane, slide ahead off it, block slice move. Proof positive that only scrubs use reminder grips.....................JUST KIDDING

I always wanted a set of eye 2's just to have, but when I started playing golf, that hideous Zing 2 was being sold. Actually, a good friend and one of the best am's in Ohio played the Zing 2's until a year ago. I had to look at those things about 30 times a year in his bag. Now, he plays the G15 and acts like they are McGregor VIP blades.

Gah...zing 2's are so ugly. I was playing around that time too and the eye 2's were still very popular and were something I wanted to just have as well.

I actually contemplated getting a set of the ping s56's and they look good (which surprised me). The answer forged were tempting too but in the end I went with a lightly used set of Mizuno MP-30s for about 1/3rd of the cost.

Here's the gold. Someone put reminder grips upside down on the 3-6 iron. LOL. Nothing like that "Tour Look" of having the label on the underside. Maybe they wanted to get rid of the clubs because the long irons felt strange.

Yes, I believe I read somewhere that Hogan did have reminder grips, but what the hell did he ever do with that flat, laid off, under plane, slide ahead off it, block slice move. Proof positive that only scrubs use reminder grips.....................JUST KIDDING

First time I've heard Ben Hogan and SCRUB in the same sentence. Nice.

Both Zing irons were ugly, couldn't stand them at all. I loved me some eye2's back in the day. I wore those things out. Used them for about 8 seasons playing a lot. The set I want is s56 or i15 with a G15 long iron or two, I won't compare them to any classic blades though.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The S56's are the best "good player" set of irons on the market, in my opinion.

KB shafts are the way to go with them, unless you are a rifle man (or lady).

S56s are sweet. Baller status. Did you look at the Ansers, too? Maybe you can go for the forged club that looks like it's a cast club!

Last edited:
S56s are sweet. Baller status. Did you look at the Ansers, too? Maybe you can go for the forged club that looks like it's a cast club!

I've hit the ansers and to be honest I wasn't impressed. Not great feeling and I just didn't like the look. They are forged but they are 8620 steel, the forged clubs that people drool over are softer 1018 1020 1025 1030 steel.

I like the look of blades but I get psyched out by them and loose my swing. I guess I could probably get used to them but I dont have that kind of time right now. Like I said I played eye 2's during my formative years and currently play Tommy Armour 845s.

Lindsey,

Have a couple of questions. How are the s56's working out? Is the honeymoon period over? Would your review be any different now?

You were fitted into the blue dot (.75* upright) +1/2 inch. I'm 5'10" and according to Ping's static fitting chart I would be standard length yellow dot (1.5* upright). In real life I'm probably a red or purple (.75*, 1.5* flat) depending on length. I know, static fitting isn't going to be accurate and most companies have adjusted their "standard" more upright for the slicers among us. Did you get measured on the static chart? If so, how far off was it?

Lindsey,

Have a couple of questions. How are the s56's working out? Is the honeymoon period over? Would your review be any different now?

You were fitted into the blue dot (.75* upright) +1/2 inch. I'm 5'10" and according to Ping's static fitting chart I would be standard length yellow dot (1.5* upright). In real life I'm probably a red or purple (.75*, 1.5* flat) depending on length. I know, static fitting isn't going to be accurate and most companies have adjusted their "standard" more upright for the slicers among us. Did you get measured on the static chart? If so, how far off was it?

I really like them, but again, if forgings lasted longer I would play them. Anyway, I have found them to be everything I could ask for performance wise. Feel is not Muira or even Mizuno, but good never the less and I have become comfortable with that.

I would strongly suggest a dynamic fitting. The static chart had me a same length, but 1.5 more (green dot) degrees more upright which would have been disastrous.

First time I've heard Ben Hogan and SCRUB in the same sentence. Nice.

Both Zing irons were ugly, couldn't stand them at all. I loved me some eye2's back in the day. I wore those things out. Used them for about 8 seasons playing a lot. The set I want is s56 or i15 with a G15 long iron or two, I won't compare them to any classic blades though.

Is it possible to wear out a set of Ping's?? I'm not talking about some discoloration in the sweetspot..... I mean real wearing out. I want pics. :)

Lindsey (and others) has me wanting to try out the 56's...... just waiting for a demo day.

Status
Not open for further replies.