Pivot and snapping kinetic chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many hit the ball using their pivot to snap kinetic chain? When I do it right it works great but its a timing issue with me. When my club is set I move my hips toward the ball some times its too early or late resulting a bad shot and like i said when its timed right its great. So do any of you have a tip on how to get it timed right or a key or this isnt the right way to do it. Like brian says hit it with your pivot.....joe

Keep working at it.....

you will eventually get it. One thing that is working for me is to make sure the left hip turns as it moves every so slightly left. When I way over do the hip slid I start moving way under plane.

Timing of the Kinetic chain

To start with try the "eyes closed practice swings technique" from TGM. It helps make me more aware of where my body is in space during the swinging motion.

http://homepage.mac.com/brianmanzell...behindhips.mov

start here..I truly believe this is the key...work on the belt buckle concept and develop the trust that the pivot will square you up at impact. You will hit plenty of ugly flip to be square shots but when you get it it will all be worth it!
That's a great drill. I found that using lagging club head takeaway and letting the club load only at transition helps me to get to the right sequence, because I have the feeling that I have to wait for the club to load and my hands stay behind better.

I know already that it's going to take a while to get this working consistently, but I've got all winter.

Michael Jacobs provided me the light on this issue, rotate the left shin, which helps move the weight to the left heel at impact. As Brian has noted, the weight should be on left heel at impact. This has been really vital for my swing.

That's a great drill. I found that using lagging club head takeaway and letting the club load only at transition helps me to get to the right sequence, because I have the feeling that I have to wait for the club to load and my hands stay behind better.

I know already that it's going to take a while to get this working consistently, but I've got all winter.

club loading is another point that many folks overlook. For years I drank the kool aid of early wrist set..never consistently compressed the ball.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
club loading is another point that many folks overlook. For years I drank the kool aid of early wrist set..never consistently compressed the ball.

Use of the term early wrist set should be forbidden.:mad: I vomit in the back of my throat when I hear it. Fifteen wasted years.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
My defintion is similar to what Lead did in his early books. The backswing starts with an immediate bending back of the right wrist. I just dont see any other athletic move that does this. The force from the body and momentum from the weight should have a more dominant role in hinging the club. And the transition will bend it more. Just like throwing a ball. He loved that pre set drill with your wrists hinged fully before your core did anything. I worked so hard on an early set when i was young because I didnt know any better. It's a hard habit to break. I am 6'1" 190 lbs and very athletic and constantly got outhit by smaller players. In the last year with no equipment change I have gained at least 12-15 yds in the air.

My defintion is similar to what Lead did in his early books. The backswing starts with an immediate bending back of the right wrist. I just dont see any other athletic move that does this. The force from the body and momentum from the weight should have a more dominant role in hinging the club. And the transition will bend it more. Just like throwing a ball. He loved that pre set drill with your wrists hinged fully before your core did anything. I worked so hard on an early set when i was young because I didnt know any better. It's a hard habit to break. I am 6'1" 190 lbs and very athletic and constantly got outhit by smaller players. In the last year with no equipment change I have gained at least 12-15 yds in the air.

I remember getting hooked on Nick Price's book...lots of good info but the
early set of the hands was death...true loss of distance and consistency on
the strike.

BH55,
I can't get this link to work either. Can you paste in the complete URL?

Thanks,
p

go the the thread "Below Plane Syndrome - experiences? " Page 1 and near the bottom Brian has it posted at it works...don't know why when I paste it will not work. Enjoy..it is a great drill.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I remember getting hooked on Nick Price's book...lots of good info but the
early set of the hands was death...true loss of distance and consistency on
the strike.

Funny how he says this but clearly doesnt do it. Price's backswing features the handle moving inside with the right arm on top of the left for awhile. Not saying he isnt trying to do it, but it isnt the early set Lead prefers in all his books.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Also, that book is a great example of "proceed with caution" when buying books written by tour players. Most of the swing thoughts or mechanics are what work for THEM. Take Price. The whole sit into the right hip as the first move down worked for him because one of his main faults was a slide of the lower body. I know a few people who were obsessed with his swing and it was hilarious if not pathetic watching them try to "steepen,then flatten. Sit in the right hip,etc."

I learned the game from Faldo's books. They're really good but I OD'd on alot of that material because I already hit from the inside and his books stressed "hitting from behind your body with alot of right hand." Next I was having BPS lasting for more than 4 hours, and there was no physician I could see:eek:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Good Question, Joe!

How many hit the ball using their pivot to snap kinetic chain? When I do it right it works great but its a timing issue with me. When my club is set I move my hips toward the ball some times its too early or late resulting a bad shot and like i said when its timed right its great. So do any of you have a tip on how to get it timed right or a key or this isnt the right way to do it. Like brian says hit it with your pivot.....joe

The trick is learning to separte your arms-hands-and-club, The "Power Package," from your pivot.

Try making an otherwise normal swing, and STOPPING your pivot cold when it reaches the impact position. Allow your Power package to fly by.

It'll take some time, but the results will be startling.

Then you have to learn to separate your wrist from your arms. Much harder.

In your swing Joe, the first step will be the most important one.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Thanks Brian, will this also help me get to the left side?

Sure.

Here is the deal:

You have to KNOW where "impact hips" are. [Hint: way to the left of address, slightly open]

Then, get to that point before hitting the brakes.

Remember, once you learn to separate the segments, you just swing and don't think about it any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.