Power Accumulator – science or metaphor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not. You just can't make this leap. One sport is reactionary(baseball), the other is not.

quote:Originally posted by Ringer

Now you're scrapping for arguments to just be contrary to anything I say corky. A tactic you have used multiple times.

Mandrin:

Would you care to give us a bit of insight as to your background? I will listen to any/all discussions and theories, so long as one that uses science, has the stuff 'between the ears' to be knowlegeable of the subject?

Scientist? Physicist? Golf Swing Educator?

One last question if I might...in business, I always ask of one my associates to not just point out the problem, but come to me with a suggested solution as well...is our problem here namely with the exactness of words/theories used by HK?

Is there a solution or suggestion that you offer to us forum dwellers?

Thanks

FL-John

quote:Originally posted by mandrin

quote:Originally posted by Triad

Probably like many who have Homer Kelley’s book laying around, I do pick it up once in a while, but get each time very quickly impatient with the circular referencing, feeling I am getting trapped in a labyrinth.

It is interesting to observe that the TGM forums conserve this particular aspect of the book. Not that much discussion, usually questions with answers given by the few that know and usually with direct quotes from Kelley’s book.

That makes it for newcomers difficult to understand TGM, Homer’s ideas being explained by using his expressions and phrases, which are a bit particular. People seemingly study Homer’s book for years and yet not feeling they really understand.

However Kelley’s ideas are based on science and one should therefore be able to understand his ideas using a scientific approach. This is what I have tried to do, analyzing his concept of Power Accumulator. Have a look here and enjoy.

mandrin

Mandarin,

I don't really know where to begin. Clearly HK understood the scientific subtleties between Power and Energy. If we look in the glossary we find : Potential energy is the energy of position, Kinetic energy is the energy of motion.

and: Power Acumulation is the process of acquiring a CONDITION of POTENTIAL ENERGY.

Also, the Power accumulators do not, strictly by virtue of their out of line condition, accumulate power(potential energy). They must be LOADED. This loading is accomplished by stressing the fully assembled Power Package at the appropriate Pressure Points. These pressure points serve as the spring you mentioned, or as HK preffered, a slingshot. Clearly there is a FORCE, or potential force to act on the Accumulators.

Your Figure 3A seems to validate the point that an out of line Accumulator, in this case the #2, creates a condition of significantly greater potential energy versus 2A (where the #2 is zeroed out). In the case of 3A, the #2 accumulator is 'loaded' against the fabricated pressure point created by the mechanical limitation of the range of motion of the swingle (hinge). In fact, I find it quite interesting that even after your discussion of the difference between Power and Energy you refer to the angle of the out of line condition of the secondary lever assembly as the 'Power Angle' in your study.

Maybe I am missing the point, but I find it very telling that, despite heralding the innate objectivity of Science, your conclusion is basicaly totaly subjective and based on your own 'feelings'.

Your words: "One sees on occasion in golf literature the expression - ‘one can then from the top release the power generated in the back swing’. This seems to be intuitively correct - one kind of feels powerful, being tightly wound up in the back swing. However, I just think of this as the brain screaming to release the uncomfortable feeling created due to a tight windup."

Not a very Scientiic conclusion, IMHO.

Best regards,
Triad

Triad, you might perhaps have humble opinions but certainly do have humble reading skills.

-1- The name is not Mandarin but mandrin.

-2- Furthermore, what you state as my conclusion is not my conclusion. You got it all topsy-turvy.

You say you dont know where to begin. May I make a humble suggestion? Read, read and read.!

Best regards,
mandrin

Sorry Mandrin, You are quite correct in that I inadvertently misspelled your name. If I re-post my observations using the correct spelling will you be more likely to address my comments? Or will you continue to dodge and evade.

Your conclusions are your conclusions. I did not overly-interpret them I merely quoted them.

I have read your piece, in fact I have read, read, read. Unfortunately all I see is jibber, jibber jabber, not science, reason or reality.

I give your paper a D for content, a B for pretty charts and an A for at least keeping your drivel brief. You may revise and re-submit your work at any time between now and the end of your Freshman Science 101 midterm.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
by FL-John

Mandrin is quite the scholar, or so it may seem. He has many of the finer points of physics, etc. down pretty good. I need to look more at his diagrams, etc, however, I would like to point out a few things:

(1) Kinetic Energy is applied while a mass in motion vs Potential Energy which is due to the position (height) ob an object. Since our clubhead does travel in 3-D space and we all hope to bring it up, back and in, I would say that our clubhead does have Potential Energy once it leaves the ground!!!

(2) Mandrin is correct in stating that Kinetic Energy is energy of motion. He did forget to mention that Mechanical Energy (aka Total Energy of an object) is equal to:
Total Energy = Kinectic Energy (KE) + Potential Energy (PE)
Since TE or Total Energy is always constant while an object is in motion, the KE or PE may change during motion, however, Total Energy remains constant. Saying that, I would say Kinetic Energy is being used to take the club, up, back and in, HOWEVER, as the cluhead reaches the Top (Hitter) or End (Swinger), KE becomes less and Potential Energy, as used by Homer, is building (or storing OR being LOADED!!!).

Anyway, I really thought I had almost forgotten my Math, Statistics and Physics from my beer/bond infested college days (sorry Mom & Dad), but nothing like a trip down ole memory lane!

Hey, why do we care if our Kinetic Energy is Increasing while our Potential Energy is decreasing....just drive the PP#3 at the inside aft quandrant of the ball! Thats enough for me to worry about...especially since that equation = Sustating the Line of Compression!

FL-JOhn

"Anyway, I really thought I had almost forgotten my Math, Statistics and Physics from my beer/bond infested college days (sorry Mom & Dad), but nothing like a trip down ole memory lane!"

FL-John, I think you summed it up quite eloquently by saying that your knowlege about science having been acquired through the sweet vapours of alcohol. It all too clearly shows in your post.

mandrin

Mandrin:

He who has not spoken the truth can throw the first stone! Its easy to fire away at my post without any backup. I could have easily made ramblings about yours without merit. The equations and formulas come directly from Physics 101...if you care to dispute the physics, please go ahead.

I say that not to be crass, but hear to learn!

FL-John

"Jono" is/was a medical student who frequented golf forums. The last I heard of him, he was modifying the "SwingGYDE" training device in order to use it in some non-standard way, and enlisting others who had one, to participate in some sort of swing experiments. He disappeared some time ago. Were he a member of this forum, I'm sure that he would use the Jono id, just as he's done on other forums.

rundmc

Banned
Mandrin,

Please don't take this as an insult. Could you please explain how this hole you poked into Mr. Kelley's theory of Power Accumulators will help in producing better ball striking?

I'm for sure a numbnutt, but I still can't figure out what impact the conclusion of your work has on producing lower scores. In golf anyway, the most important math is adding up the scores over 18 or 72 holes. That is about as high level math as my feeble brain can handle.

thanks!

Richard

Richard, don’t you agree that what drives mankind is to forever ask questions, to look for new things to discover and trying to unravel the mystery and understand the unknown.

Had it not been for the scientific curiosty of Homer and his patient quest there would not be any G.O.L.F. system around. I am sure he did initially face the same question you are now asking.

It always intrigues me that golfers, at least the way they are appear on forums, are so doggedly anti science. Imediately insults and bad temper. Tell me what are they afaid off?

It is funny, probably each and every TGMer will readily admit they have a hard time understanding Homer’s ideas but nevertheless see him as a bright star way above anyone else.

The relation between science and golf is not easy. The main reason is that we are not robots, we have very complicated relationships between our feelings and motions.

To come back to your question. If all things in life were judged by plain down to earth practical reasons their would no scientific research, no arts, etc., ec.. Stagnation and back to the caves.

Is it not possible for you to see, without me spending a lot of words, that a solid basic understanding of the science behind the mechanism of a gof swing could only be very beneficial?

Most people in any sphere and activity would immediately agree with this philosophy, yet it is hard for golfers to get it into their head. Does golf perhaps attract a different type of people?

mandrin

rundmc

Banned

Richard, don’t you agree that what drives mankind is to forever ask questions, to look for new things to discover and trying to unravel the mystery and understand the unknown.

Had it not been for the scientific curiosty of Homer and his patient quest there would not be any G.O.L.F. system around. I am sure he did initially face the same question you are now asking.

It always intrigues me that golfers, at least the way they are appear on forums, are so doggedly anti science. Imediately insults and bad temper. Tell me what are they afaid off?

It is funny, probably each and every TGMer will readily admit they have a hard time understanding Homer’s ideas but nevertheless see him as a bright star way above anyone else.

The relation between science and golf is not easy. The main reason is that we are not robots, we have very complicated relationships between our feelings and motions.

To come back to your question. If all things in life were judged by plain down to earth practical reasons their would no scientific research, no arts, etc., ec.. Stagnation and back to the caves.

Is it not possible for you to see, without me spending a lot of words, that a solid basic understanding of the science behind the mechanism of a gof swing could only be very beneficial?

Most people in any sphere and activity would immediately agree with this philosophy, yet it is hard for golfers to get it into their head. Does golf perhaps attract a different type of people?

mandrin

Mandrin,

You will get no insults from me. I respect what you are trying to do and your curiosity. I'm also curious, but unfortunately do not have the training in mathmatics and physics to follow the equations that you have put forth. Certainly the science is important, but I doubt many of the greatest players in the world could pass a high school science exam. Heck I'm not sure I could. Aloha Mr. Hand.

I think that we can agree that Mr. Kelley was certainly an extremely curious and innovative human being. I would have never known the importance of many of his concepts, the flying-wedges in particular without the help of an AI. But I would say that the majority of people who love golf would rather improve their game without having to understand integration or diffy q's or whatever. I got to differential equations and posted a big fat F and decided I wasn't cut out to be a math major. So I have a tremendous respect for people who understand and utilize higher math. But I have even greater respect for a person that can help me improve my golf game.

I'm also amused by people who get so bent out of shape on golf forums. I'm sort of like "hey dude . . . it's just golf." I believe TGM is probably the best analysis and guide to improvement out there period. As you know there are people out here who are even more strong in their convictions on this. I think a lot of other non-TGM'ers are like "look at the TGM goofballs" and others want to poke holes in it. Bottom line is they have to respect Homer Kelley's work whether they agree with it or not.

I'm probably too big of a doofus to understand your arguement much less your conclusion. I have to say that my game has tremendously benefited from TGM and the AI that helps me. At the end of the day most people would rather make birdies than balance equations.

The beauty of TGM is its brevity and the concepts are relatively easy to understand if you have guidance on which ones are most important.

I still would like to understand torque, force field, and your ideas on the shaft being loaded or not.

Other than the Power Accumulators, are there any other concepts in TGM that you have issue with scientifically?

Regards,

Richard

Funny rundmc... this same "poking holes" thing is going on about the club throwing drill. Instead of seeing the obvious benefits. The one good thing about it (the club throwing discussion) is there is no personal attack going on about it. It's just a disagreement. I find that when TGM is the thing getting challenged... the high and mighty attitude shines.

”I still would like to understand torque, force field, and your ideas on the shaft being loaded or not.”

Rundmc, as for explaining basic terms in science such as force, torque, energy or power, you get readily very clear explanations just typing the key words into any search engine. Here is a good starting point.

A general definition of a force field is to imagine that if a small particle were to be placed at any point (x,y,z), it would experience a force F. This allows to think of space as permeated or “mapped out” with the potential for generating a force. This is often used with gravitational, electrical and electromagnetic fields. It is a abstract tool use commonly in science, allows more visual approach. An amusing reference is to be found here.

Potential energy requires the presence of some force field acting. Therefore to be able have potential energy, which can be accumulated in the back swing, the arms/club have to move in a force field. They don’t, hence no potential energy and no accumulators, (ignoring the small contribution of gravity in a golf swing).

”Other than the Power Accumulators, are there any other concepts in TGM that you have issue with scientifically?”

Rundmc, I would love to answer your above question and on shaft loading but will abstain from doing so. There has been for now enough gun slinging in my direction.

I can do only so much at one time. There is a substantial amount of work involved in posts like mine about power accumulators. It is, unlike simply posting what comes to mind, a very demanding and time consuming activity.

I have been very careful, knowing in advance the type of responses I would get, to clearly distinguish, from the outset, between theory and instruction in golf.

One doesn’t have to know anything about the science behind the functioning of a TV to be able to make it function. Idem for golf. I am very pragmatic, no inclination to esoteric thinking.

A very amusing fact is that almost everyone, including Brian himself, posts that science does not make them better golfers, yet resisting vehemently having Homer’s science being put in doubt.

If science is not important, then why care if Homer is right or wrong as long as the practical aspects about his golf instruction are altogether valid and prefectly all right? Just a simple question. ;)

mandrin

Mandrin:

Hopefully (and I mean this sincerely) that we can all learn from your studies and from the scientific side. I think TGMers may not always understand everything about the work of Homer, however, we trust it enough knowing there is science behind it, plus, many of us have seen the results.

Anyway, feel free to post and elighten us....I did think it was a bit funny that you were able to right a paragraph or so saying you did not have enough time to explain, yet had enough time to write a well thought out reply....but I digress, welcome aboard

FL-John

FL-John,

This is how he enlightens us,

"Rundmc, I would love to answer your above question and on shaft loading but will abstain from doing so."

I, for one, would be VERY interested to hear, in PLAIN ENGLISH, how one could compress a golf ball WITHOUT loading the shaft.

Miz:

Absolutely....I know we are all hear to learn and some take "picking" at HKs work a bit harsh at times...but, heck, if one can make TGM or HKs explanations better, more power to him and the golf world. I get annoyed at those who drop a quick tidbit, we (as usual) ask why or for the person to explain...then all of a sudden, the person will not explain as he cannot handle this ambush (so to speak).

I rarely pick a fight a try and belittle someone, for the mere fact of questioning HKs work. However, I have to have someone back up what they say. Mandrin's initial graphs and diagrams were well thought out and thorough, however, I would want more background and how he ran the tests/study...anyway, we go on!

FL-John

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

FL-John,

This is how he enlightens us,

"Rundmc, I would love to answer your above question and on shaft loading but will abstain from doing so."

I, for one, would be VERY interested to hear, in PLAIN ENGLISH, how one could compress a golf ball WITHOUT loading the shaft.

Agreed. Seems like the shaft would have to have certain characteristics to transmit the energy or whatever the heck is the right term to the ball. I don't think you could strike a ball effectively with a clubhead on the end of a rope. Nor could you strike it well with a club that had most of the weight in the shaft and not the head.

"I get annoyed at those who drop a quick tidbit, we (as usual) ask why or for the person to explain...then all of a sudden, the person will not explain as he cannot handle this ambush (so to speak)."

"I rarely pick a fight a try and belittle someone ... "

Your insinuation is simply cheap. I spent a lot of time responding carefully to many questions/opinions pertaining to the topic of power accumulator. However, I can’t throw myself into a dozen different directions at the same time. One thing at the time.

In business one wants the dollars to pile up as fast as possible. Fine, nothing wrong with that. Business and science are however not playing in the same ball park. Homer took 28 years of passionate efforts to get the material ready for his book.

Perhaps a surprise to you, my linked post - “quick tidbit”, in your opinion - took a bit more time than the few seconds required for you to write your post. A bit of patience, perhaps, my dear friend, would not be out of place.

Suggestion - keep a close eye on your business associates, they might waste precious time and sweet money reading mandrin’s posts during business hours. :)

mandrin

Status
Not open for further replies.