Pull hooks with driver - upcoming club championship, need million dollar lesson :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently a 8 hanidcapper. I hit my 3 wood well. Slight draw. I am hitting pull hooks with my driver. I believe this means I have a out-to-in swing plane combined with a closed clubface to the target.. Is this correct? Generally my ball flight is quite low with my driver

My club championship is in 2 days and need a swing key or tip to help me get back on track. Following this weekend, I will put in some tough work to get things straightened out, but right now I need something that can get me through Sunday.

Any suggestions?

dbl

New
If it is consistent...maybe.. aim right and then have the pull hit the center of the fairway. Try it on the range first! Be aware that if eventually this trick fails you, you have to be able to recover from whatever ball flight you wind up seeing, like a huge hook.

Also, if you have the time you might try gripping the club very strongly and then try hitting fades. Might be perfect.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Very unlikely that its out to in. More likely in to out and also down. Put the ball up in your stance and try to hit a high fly ball over the center fielders right shoulder.

I do Paypal.

I agree with Kevin. It's much harder to hit pull hooks with an in to out path than it is comming from the outside because you have to turn the face over so much. From my experience I only pull hook it if I am comming from the outside.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Go to the right side of the range.

Tee the ball up very high.

Aim as left as you can.

Put the ball as forward as you can.

Start the ball left of a flag/target in the range and HiGH SLICE it around it.

Repeat.

Moderate.

Try to use it in a round.

Report back.

I agree with Kevin. It's much harder to hit pull hooks with an in to out path than it is comming from the outside because you have to turn the face over so much. From my experience I only pull hook it if I am comming from the outside.

Call me crazy, but aren't you saying exactly the opposite of Kevin?

dbl

New
Whisper, you are correct, those statements are opposite of what KS said. But I guess ff's situation may be that out to in is easier for him to produce a pull hook.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Out to in can cause a pull hook but Brian (and others) have found that A LOT of times it is from swinging too inside out, 8* inside/out with a 0* AOA and a 2* open face can produce QUITE the pull hook.

I, myself, am a victim lately from both irons/drivers.

If you have not fixed the problem in your swing by club championship, stretch your left thumb as far down as you can when you grip the club. If your left thumb is long enough you CANNOT hook...

are you trying to hit the fairway or are you trying to reach the green. throttle down the hands and just stay balanced throughout the shot. I played today with an asst pro i work with who is nasty long, and he NEVER looks like he is trying to swing harder than 3/4 of full capacity.

are you trying to hit the fairway or are you trying to reach the green. throttle down the hands and just stay balanced throughout the shot. I played today with an asst pro i work with who is nasty long, and he NEVER looks like he is trying to swing harder than 3/4 of full capacity.

Well, in fairness, the guys who are nasty long rarely look like they're swinging super hard, and they don't need to take more then a 3/4 swing to still smoke it. Some guys have to swing with everything they've got just to get it out there 240 or 250.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I am off to the range tomorrow, followed by a practice round Friday afternoon. I am first off for the club championship at 7am saturday.

As an aside, when I look at the tee marks left on the sole of my driver, typically they start near the middle of the sole/clubface and curve towards the toe side of the sole, if that makes sense. Does this suggest an outside-in swing pathé

Hope you get it straight by tipoff, but....

If you don't, you can do a move I've seen on TV this year. After you hit a hook, start limping (as if you left leg it hurt). Hook gets worse, so does the limp. Hook goes away, so does the limp. Seemed to work when I saw it. :)

No doubt you'll get it sorted in time, though.

Last edited:
true. hard to say if he needs the distance or the control more. I know I've hit more bombs trying to hit the fairway than I have trying to hit it long, but thats just me. The main thing is if you do hit a poor tee shot, fight the thought of an oncoming bogey away, keep fighting for your numbers and remember... you can miss all 14 fairways and still have your name engraved for first place. Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I am off to the range tomorrow, followed by a practice round Friday afternoon. I am first off for the club championship at 7am saturday.

As an aside, when I look at the tee marks left on the sole of my driver, typically they start near the middle of the sole/clubface and curve towards the toe side of the sole, if that makes sense. Does this suggest an outside-in swing pathé

Yes

natep

New

Is this confirmed true? It seems I always get tee marks that curve up (when looking at the sole) when I'm hitting slinging draws, and straight marks when I hit pull fades.

Is this confirmed true? It seems I always get tee marks that curve up (when looking at the sole) when I'm hitting slinging draws, and straight marks when I hit pull fades.

You can also get those marks any time you have contact towards the toe, which "could" explain those shots. When toe contact is made the face will twist open while in contact with the tee.

leon

New
You can also get those marks any time you have contact towards the toe, which "could" explain those shots. When toe contact is made the face will twist open while in contact with the tee.

Lindsey I'm curious. Intuitively I would have thought a mark going towards the toe side of the soleplate just indicates that the face is open to the path. Is this not the case?
I can see how curved marks could indicate opening face and that this would suggest a toe hit. If so, then wouldn't gear effect give the OP at least some of the draw and for a centre face impact it could be more of a straight pull?

Status
Not open for further replies.