Pull hooks with driver - upcoming club championship, need million dollar lesson :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Kevin and Brian hit the nail on the head there. IMO driver Pull hooks -> hit down, in-out, clubface left at impact.
Often, initially, i would try to hit more in-out to avoid the pull hook. To avoid the left, i would try to hit more right. And move the ball back.
Unfortunately, that often makes it even worse.

On the course if i'm pull hooking i.. (ball still up in my stance)
- aim right and open my clubface a little or..
- aim left and open my clubface more than usual

If i'm ugly duck hooking, my pivot has gone to sleep cos i'm flipping it like pancakes.

That's what i figured out for myself.. and it could just be me.

Lindsey I'm curious. Intuitively I would have thought a mark going towards the toe side of the soleplate just indicates that the face is open to the path. Is this not the case?
I can see how curved marks could indicate opening face and that this would suggest a toe hit. If so, then wouldn't gear effect give the OP at least some of the draw and for a centre face impact it could be more of a straight pull?

a toe hit often indicates out to in path. Out to in path, square face with a hit off the toe (gear effect) can cause pull hook with those tee markings.

Call me crazy, but aren't you saying exactly the opposite of Kevin?

Okay okay, I know. I completely wrote my post wrong and I don't know what was going on in my noggin. But yes, most of the time when I hit a pull hook it is usually when I am trying to go easy on it or trying to draw it and I am comming from the inside and flip the club over too fast.

Update

As promised. When to the range this morning, started with the suggestions made by Kevin Shields. Within 3 balls was hitting a nice 10 yard cut that was solidly hit. Impact was a touch towards the toe at first but over time, found the center of the clubface.

Went and played a practice round. Hit driver on every par 4 and 5 just to test things out (typically not the smart play of the tee on some holes). Things held up well. Hit one bad tee shot (over cut that missed the target by 40 yards), but was still playable due to it being a dogleg.

I feel much better about my tee shots and look forward to tomorrow.

Thanks for your insight and expertise. I will report back tomorrow.\

Jay

As promised. When to the range this morning, started with the suggestions made by Kevin Shields. Within 3 balls was hitting a nice 10 yard cut that was solidly hit. Impact was a touch towards the toe at first but over time, found the center of the clubface.

Went and played a practice round. Hit driver on every par 4 and 5 just to test things out (typically not the smart play of the tee on some holes). Things held up well. Hit one bad tee shot (over cut that missed the target by 40 yards), but was still playable due to it being a dogleg.

I feel much better about my tee shots and look forward to tomorrow.

Thanks for your insight and expertise. I will report back tomorrow.\

Jay

Good to hear. Sometimes all that's needed is just a tweak. Get a consistent flight and the confidence goes up too. Good luck.

Okay okay, I know. I completely wrote my post wrong and I don't know what was going on in my noggin. But yes, most of the time when I hit a pull hook it is usually when I am trying to go easy on it or trying to draw it and I am comming from the inside and flip the club over too fast.

Whew! Thanks-- I was slightly baffled, but clarifying really helped.

The control on the club face is your grip. Before you check anything about your swing. Golfers live on the fault line with their grip for years sometimes and one day cross over into hookdom. It's a myth that if the problem is recent, it can't be the grip. The grip leads to the path, the release, the pivot through the ball etc. I do know this. As ability increases in golf so does the hatred of left. Every tournament player I teach or see HATES the ball going left and many (Hogan) find a way to hold the club that it will NEVER go left.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The control on the club face is your grip. Before you check anything about your swing. Golfers live on the fault line with their grip for years sometimes and one day cross over into hookdom. It's a myth that if the problem is recent, it can't be the grip. The grip leads to the path, the release, the pivot through the ball etc. I do know this. As ability increases in golf so does the hatred of left. Every tournament player I teach or see HATES the ball going left and many (Hogan) find a way to hold the club that it will NEVER go left.

Ive hit so many power block out fades I get a massive rush of blood to my most private parts when I see a ball go left.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

A lot of truth in this statement, however for me recently it was a TOO under-rotated left arm that was contributing to my lefts; even a weak grip didn't help :(

Ive hit so many power block out fades I get a massive rush of blood to my most private parts when I see a ball go left.

You played very well for a long time with out hands, stand the club up blocks. Shot 61 at my place with that move as I recall.. I'm guessing you've fixed that according to your recent posts and performances. But MOSTLY...the point I'm making is very often I see golfers get to a certain low handicap level with a stronger than usual grip, but they don't get past that point because to get to say, your level, the dynamics of their golf swing won't support a strong grip. Hard driving pivot, low hands in front of the golf ball, right arm bend etc. Just saying...

A lot of truth in this statement, however for me recently it was a TOO under-rotated left arm that was contributing to my lefts; even a weak grip didn't help :(

Yep I could see that. Hogans anti-hook metamorphosis was the whole enchilada. Weak grip, long left thumb, supination, hard lower body drive and a tremendous amount of lag. I'm betting a 15 handicapper trying any of that spends a lot of time in the right woods...

Well

I had a tough go this weekend. Day one was a tough one, hit the driver and 3 wood great on the range, but had a hard time taking it onto the course. Today was a little better off the tee, but struggled with my putting. Back to the range to continue to hone hitting up and swinging left.

Jay845.
I know the feeling happened to me as well when I played in my club championship, just stick with it I know you see the results when your on the range and you feel you have a good understanding of the concepts so it will come ... thats what I keep telling myself. I have a cBAse championship event as well on the 24 and 25 of Sept so hopefully all the hard work will pay off. Sorry it didnt go as well as you would have liked but keep at it...!!! I was pulling for you!!
R/
WG

Status
Not open for further replies.