Push Shot ...what to fix first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have always struggled with a push shot , that starts left and can stay left or when playing well draw back in.(im lefty).

I have a sharp hip turn going back I also shift a little weight back , path is nuetral (can get steep at times).
I work on keeping the shoulders closed, lateral shifting the lower and getting my arms in front of me...

Curious as to what you guys would attack to rid this trouble shot FOREVER?

natep

New
I assume you mean that you are coming from the inside and hitting the ball with your shoulders square to the target line. I swing the same way and have the same miss. I don't think there's much you can do about it with this type of swing.

If you made a more rotary pivot and swung to your right with open shoulders at impact you could eliminate the push, but would probably have a pull as your new miss.

Either way, your bound to hit a few bad shots here and there.

Just my $0.02.

natep

New
OK I see.

It seems like you might be getting too far in front of the ball too soon and blocking it when you hit the push.

Now that you put the video up I'm sure someone more qualified than me can help you out.

I would only be speculating. :D

It looks like a pretty good swing to me.

I wonder if having the sweetspot above plane in the backswing makes you want to work below plane in the downswing.

I appreciate the comments...
I am exaggerating the lateral hip movement and hands forward lead hand bowing at impact (atleast try to)
BECAUSE my tendency is to spin open to quickly in transition and then my club gets a hair steep/neutral path and my hands and arms are a behind at impact.

I try to coordinate that lateral shift with a rotation and maintaining my spine tilt (which when I add the roatation and spine tilt I start spinning to quick and getting a little steep).Especially with longer clubs.

I try to coordinate that lateral shift with a rotation and maintaining my spine tilt (which when I add the roatation and spine tilt I start spinning to quick and getting a little steep).Especially with longer clubs.

Try a little-less-shift-and-little-more-turn type feel in your downswing.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Go grab a 2 x 4 from somewhere. Put the 2 x 4 on the OUTSIDE of the ball and line it up parallel with your target.

See if you can hit the ball (at all) with this. If you can't, your path is WAY too inside/out. If you can hit the ball, your face is too open

I appreciate the comments all!

I can hit the ball if I try to with the 2by4(object) outside and parrallel the target.
My face is fairly square to closed at the top , what suggestions would you have to close it on the way down without getting to steep>?

(often when I bow the lead wrist just right all is well) I feel like its off and on though.

Thanks.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I appreciate the comments all!

I can hit the ball if I try to with the 2by4(object) outside and parrallel the target.
My face is fairly square to closed at the top , what suggestions would you have to close it on the way down without getting to steep>?

(often when I bow the lead wrist just right all is well) I feel like its off and on though.

Thanks.

1) How close is the 2x4 to the ball? You'd be surprised how much you can cheat if you don't put it close enough.

2) As to how to close it without getting steep? Tumble.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
do a search, but essentially it's an active early left forearm rotation at the beginning of the downswing. Tumbling the face towards the ball.

EDIT you're a lefty so right forearm for u

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Here it is!

S2S on left, as a lefty, in the middle flipped to look righty (with a blown up face—we are looking at the back of the club here folks!), and Fransico Mollinari on the right (with a blown up face—we are looking at the FACE of the club here folks!)...

S2S.jpg

I guess That would explain why I save it at the bottom SOMETIMES but up and down results?
Brian what do you suggest to close this face more consitently? Tumble without getting the shaft steep?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I guess That would explain why I save it at the bottom SOMETIMES but up and down results?
Brian what do you suggest to close this face more consitently? Tumble without getting the shaft steep?

Well....

There this little thing you can do....

Ah....

Just a little bit of....

Twisting the shaft about itself....

:)

Brian,

If he's hitting pushes, and we're looking to "zero" him out, we would need to affect both path and clubface (relative to the target), no?

I would think that moving the ball position up would accomplish a slight more closing of the face, and more rightward (he's a lefty) path. In my mind, since his ball position looks good, I would look at his lateral movement being too much.

So, how come (genuinely curious) more twistaway, or, essentially closing his face, would provide the optimum fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.