Putting D Plane/General Stroke Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I have been working hard on my stroke and routine indoors and have been using the iPing app

Hi all,

What sort of adjustments would need to be made with D Plane knowledge in putting?

Assuming a centre strike and on a 10 ft putt what effect would a clubface open or closed be?

For example 2 degrees open at impact :confused:

I'm really seeing if I need to make many adjustments for this on course on shorter to longer putts.

I'm well aware Sam Putt lab would be more specific, but if a stroke was relatively straight with minimal arc, on a 10ft putt what would be the effect of the open face?

Would this also be affected by the putter angle of attack being positive or negative?

I have not heard much about the D Plane and putting and wondered if there were general rules?

For example on a straight 10 foot putt x degrees open means the ball would go y right.

Hope someone has some knowledge they would like to share :D

Cheers

Last edited:
The D plane really focuses on the ball curving in mid air. I don't deny there might be some affect with a putt, but it is very, very limited and maybe so limited that one couldn't notice or measure the effect. You're betting off focusing on green reading/zero lines. Google "zero line" if you want to change your putting forever.

I'm not aware that BMan focuses on teaching putting, but I'm not going to promote putting instructors/methods out of defference to his work. I respect his business and this site is crucial to his business. (I don't want peopling crapping in my office!!!!).

As I understand, face angle, then centre hit are most important to starting a putt online (providing line and pace are spot on too :p)

But I'm interested that if I have face say 2 degrees open at impact everytime, I could just change my aim?

Loren Roberts numbers were a bit weird on Sam Putt lab but did the same everytime...

I suppose I would just like to know if face is 2 degrees open on a straight 10ft putt would it miss?

My handicap on the iPing is +2.3 with a straight/borderline slight arc stroke but face averages 2 degrees open, just wondering if this affects starting line much at 10ft, 20ft,30ft

How about the flat spot in putting. The longer you can achieve a flat spot the easier it is to have the face pointed at the target. Magnum or inside down the line type stroke

Man o Man, learn to fall in love with the speed instead of the line and you'll be mesmerized by your rock rolling. Optimal Capture Speed is 6 inches past, by the way, according to AimPoint...not 17 as was previously thought. My students have all reported better shifts in their awareness with this mindset. Speed, speed, speed.

OK gonna try again here

I was really after what adjustments I would make on a straight putt if I consistently hit the middle of a putter, had great pace control and green reading, had a neutral path but the face was 3 degrees open at impact.

Assume everything else is spot on, what adjustments in aim would I need to make? Is there a way of working out for every 10ft, a x degrees open means y inches right?

Or I could just change my stroke/putter to get to 0 degrees at impact :p

You'll have to do the math. IIRC, the face accounts for 87% of the starting direction for putts. So factor that in with whatever your path angle is and you should have your answer. Also keep in mind that once the ball starts rolling (which happens pretty quickly), there is no axis tilt on the ball, the D-plane is gone, and the ground is now in charge of where it goes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.