Q. about TGM and HK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would sincerely like to know if HK ever had any pics of his swing published for TGM or any articles. If not, why not in your opinion.
If so, of course I would like the reference.

Brian, you said you would answer this question, but never have.

So what is the answer? Are there any published clips of his swing?

P.S. did he feel that way about Hogan and Bryon Nelson? Didn't he try to learn something from their swings? Otherwise, why did he study them?

Is David aim at understanding the science of the golf swing or just an individual's swing? I'd much rather know the truth than a human's attempt at trying to be perfect (and executing that perfection).

Brian Manzella

Administrator
David.

Homer didn't think very much of his game.

He also said, as he got further along in his work, that there was less and less to be learned from the Tour players swings.

No, there are no pictures of Homer's swing...

...or pictures of L.DiVinci in a helicopter....

;)!

>He also said, as he got further along in his work, that there was less and less to be learned from the Tour players swings.

Where did he say that?

mclare, I read TGM ten yrs ago and had already made pretty much the same observations I saw HK making. I mean it was spooky. But from there I departed, looking for optimizations which was not HK's thing. I didn't linger long with TGM, because I didn't want to be influenced. I figured I could figure everything out myself, but that didn't mean ignoring the pros. And apparently, HK did NOT ignore them either, since he studied Hogan and Nelson very carefully (as I did).

Brian,

Do you agree with Homer's conclusion that there isn't much to be learned by tour players swings. Just curious.

Redgoat

quote:Originally posted by Redgoat

Brian,

Do you agree with Homer's conclusion that there isn't much to be learned by tour players swings. Just curious.

Redgoat

Jumping in, I think Homer meant that for himself, watching tour players swings contributed little to his work. He also enjoyed going to tournaments to watch your pros play and felt awkward thinking that some players might be thinking he is analyzing they swings. At one time every pro that visited the greater Northwest stopped by to see him.

I think what Homer meant was that he had his own swing model in his "Golfing Machine". He knew that if you cooperated with laws of physics and geometry, that you would play well. I doubt he bothered much with really studying pros swings later on in his research because he knew that each individual would have their own way of doing things with their own variations. As long as what they did complied with the physics and geometry of a golf stroke, it didn't matter what they looked like doing it.

quote:Originally posted by mgjordan

I think what Homer meant was that he had his own swing model in his "Golfing Machine". He knew that if you cooperated with laws of physics and geometry, that you would play well. I doubt he bothered much with really studying pros swings later on in his research because he knew that each individual would have their own way of doing things with their own variations. As long as what they did complied with the physics and geometry of a golf stroke, it didn't matter what they looked like doing it.

Well said master Jordan [8D]

dude

New
quote:Originally posted by 6bee1dee

Brian,

Redgoat

Jumping in, I think Homer meant that for himself, watching tour players swings contributed little to his work. He also enjoyed going to tournaments to watch your pros play and felt awkward thinking that some players might be thinking he is analyzing they swings. At one time every pro that visited the greater Northwest stopped by to see him.

He meant it for those who he taught first hand and those who would become proficient in his research and work. That was the audience when this statement was made.

golfingrandy

P.S. Redgoat, though directed at Brian, for me and mine? Yes!!!!!

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by mgjordan

Once again, you are correct, MG.

Early on, Homer's constant Desktop Companions were the books (and most of all, the photos in the books) of Hogan ("the best Mechanic") and Snead (the "most natural 'my way' golfer"). He really liked Hogan's Power Golf -- "especially Hogan's...the pictures were big and you could really see...I about wore that one out." Over time, though, his research revealed a level of perfection beyond the players of his time...or ours. Consequently...

"You'll find that there is nothing there for you. You'll find somebody who is having some success and you will spot flaw after flaw after flaw. So, another one 'back in the bin.'"

-- Homer Kelley

holenone

Banned

Brian,

Redgoat

Redgoat,

This is my first post to you. Straightaway, let me say "Thank you!" for your wonderful contribution to this site and to those of us who are totally consumed by Golf Strokes That Work and how to 'make it happen' for ourselves.

To put this discussion on its proper playing field, let me say that the neophyte Homer Kelley, searching for answers, would be -- and was -- the first to look to the model of the day's best players.

"If I had an idea, and it was obvious that the best players were doing something that would conflict with that idea -- then that idea was immediately on probation."

He found great enjoyment -- and education -- in the Strokes of the day's best players. He especially admired Trevino's Downward Motion -- "You've got to help him get the Club out of the ground." And the "Arnie Palmer Finish," the result of the above Plane Drive Out of the Angle of Approach procedure. And the enigma of analyzing the Nicklaus Stroke: "It's different with every sequence."

But, as his research became more and more codified, what 'they' did became less and less useful.

Except as a measure against his own Standard of Perfection.

"I learned a lot from this forum and Brian has been very generous in term of providing his time and effort...We are believer on TGM and so we ask questions in here, some of your questions are in deed good for us to learn but....

I appreciate very much on Brian, Joe, holenone .. who have without hiding provide useful free instrustion to us.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Redgoat and others...

I went to the Masters this year and when me and mikestloc were driving home, I remarked to mike:

"I don't learn much anymore from these guys"

...I really don't.

quote:Originally posted by ryantiff

"I learned a lot from this forum and Brian has been very generous in term of providing his time and effort...We are believer on TGM and so we ask questions in here, some of your questions are in deed good for us to learn but....

I appreciate very much on Brian, Joe, holenone .. who have without hiding provide useful free instrustion to us.

Ditto! I've recovered from my last round where I think I was the victim of informaton overload. But I spent all last week practing with only one club--nothing but pitching wedges in the back yard (every evening for close to an hour). All I did was hit short shots keeping those Flying Wedges aligned and making sure I had the flat left wrist at impact. This past Sunday I was making really solid contact--the best I have in ages. Now I have to work on being on plane so the ball has a chance of actually going where I want it to!

BTW: Before I ventured in the world of Brian, Yoda, and TGM, I made this analysis of my own swing. I think I got here just in time!

http://davidclary.com/ugly_swing.htm

Wish we could see the club face. As yoda saids "throw a ball at the ground near the ball".

Practice keeping your shoulders back. You want the feel of ----down before around . Make divots to the right or straight .Read Brians "get a grip" article----Your face and back of left hand need to match better. Learn how #2 power accumulator works.

Status
Not open for further replies.