Release Aftermath Questions and 45 min VIDEO (page 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
As part of Project 1.68 my area of study was:
forces and torques on the club
3D data collection
modeling
downswing

After a comprehensive study campaign, there were some upgrades to everyone's instructional content. The Explosive Golf Show "The Release" launched the largest thread in golf discussion board history. Aside from a couple of knuckleheads, the concepts and instruction was greatly appreciated. For the most part I have pretty much completed my study in those areas but I do believe that there are a lot of questions in the mind's of some folks on how to implement these concepts into their game. Therefore, we have decided to host the "Release Aftermath & Review" show. We currently have a list of a of some questions but we would like to add questions for the show. So if there are any lingering questions that you would like to see discussed please post them in this thread.

release.jpg

As part of Project 1.68 my area of study was:
forces and torques on the club
3D data collection
modeling
downswing

After a comprehensive study campaign, there were some upgrades to everyone's instructional content. The Explosive Golf Show "The Release" launched the largest thread in golf discussion board history. Aside from a couple of knuckleheads, the concepts and instruction was greatly appreciated. For the most part I have pretty much completed my study in those areas but I do believe that there are a lot of questions in the mind's of some folks on how to implement these concepts into their game. Therefore, we have decided to host the "Release Aftermath & Review" show. We currently have a list of a of some questions but we would like to add questions for the show. So if there are any lingering questions that you would like to see discussed please post them in this thread.

View attachment 144

Not to sound argumentative in my 1st post... but...

This forum defaults to 10 posts/page, which makes the "Release" thread approx 1710 posts long.
The wrx thread discussing the GJ 9-to-3 drill is 155 pages long, with 30 posts per page. Approx 4650 posts long.

Just sayin'...

Perhaps you mean THIS forum... probably what you meant and I'm being picky.

Last edited:
Michael,
As I know you'll be reading this thread, I just wanted to pass on a word of thanks for all the diligent work you and Brian have put into this. The "noisy negativists" are not worth the candle

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Not to sound argumentative in my 1st post... but...

This forum defaults to 10 posts/page, which makes the "Release" thread approx 1710 posts long.
The wrx thread discussing the GJ 9-to-3 drill is 155 pages long, with 30 posts per page. Approx 4650 posts long.

Just sayin'...

Perhaps you mean THIS forum... probably what you meant and I'm being picky.

Ok let me rephrase.....

The largest thread that actually HELPED golfers in golf discussion board history

dbl

New
Cloran, the wrx thread has 400,000 view in 3+ years, the New Release thread 200,000 views in a few months; so the largest "what" is obviously in play. Brian's would seem "better," at least to me. Brian discusses his site is #1 amongst golf instructors, and thus the thread would have to be the largest thread in that category, etc etc.

Now, real input?

My question is for reverse tumblers or late lag holders, what extra steps are necessary to be normal at/into impact?

I forgot to add my question. Would it be reasonable to say that there are in fact two coupling points for an optimal swing? The hand coupling whereby the right hand goes under the left hand (arbitrary description, granted) to deliver the club, and a second one just below the Adam's Apple, whereby the right side of the body goes under the left side (the jump). Or am I, in fact, talking tosh?
Thanks Michael and Brian

Last edited:

leon

New
Couple of things I'm still not quite getting, most relating to grip and wrist angles through impact.

You posted some numbers before that show pretty high ulnar deviation angles (mid to high 30s if I recall) at impact. But replacing the right arm, with hands going ' below the table' would seem to me to want to reduce this angle. So could you clarify how these two pieces of the puzzle fit together.

Also, in 'ideas' Brian shows that to get the palm on the wall with the face turned to the plane at follow through you need a strongish grip. In fact it feels massively strong to me, so I wonder if I have it correct. Could you clarify the grip and also what effect does the grip strength have on wrist angles through impact and on the ability to execute the flexion-extension release with minimal roll?

Ok let me rephrase.....

The largest thread that actually HELPED golfers in golf discussion board history

lol... good answer.

Thanks for putting in all the time-n-effort. I have learned a lot from you and Brian over the years... looking forward to what other things 1.68 will explain in the future.

...and a second one just below the Adam's Apple, whereby the right side of the body goes under the left side (the jump).
Thanks Michael and Brian

A "coupling" point for the arms just as the first one is to the hands? Very interesting...

A good idea to discuss is the golfers perception of what power/speed is and how the information from the Nesbit papers could be used to put club speed in the proper context.

I would like more background on the tour players used as a model for the hub path concept. I see certain tour players release like the hub path release and other tour players that don't.

The most "frightening" thing to me is how the club shaft bows back at impact such that the club head leads. When I saw that, I knew I did not understand the golf swing! Why on earth does it do that? Does the "bow" increase for good players? Does Iron Byron or Pingman have this bow? Finally, even if I did not try to have the release you describe, would the bowing make my hands do it anyway?

1. How active is the right wrist in applying torque to the club? Would dead, limp, or inactive wrists doom the release? I bring it up because a lot of golf instruction tells people that they need loose/supple wrists throughout the swing and applying a positive torque would seem to conflict with that advice.

2. Brian has said that in going normal one thought is to try to pull the grip "up" near impact. First, does up mean straight UP, like the direction a tree grows? Would the club head being underplane pretty much nullify any beneficial effects of that advice?

3. In numerous threads (and a couple videos) I've come across advice about the right arm or right side. For example, in the Underplane/VSP video Brian talks about going through the ball with a "ball bouncing attitude." In the Soft Draw video, we have the idea of the toss. In other threads people discuss the feeling of throwing a ball side arm. Personally, I have never had any success with any right arm addition (probably because I am usually under plane).

So, I am trying to reconcile the idea that there is zero force across the shaft at impact in better swings with all these pieces about the role of the right arm/side. In my head, any thought about using the right side in the latter phases of the downsing would seem to promote some kind force across the shaft through impact. I'm pretty sure I am way off in understanding how these things fit together and would like to be set straight.

Thanks!

I would like to see some more discussion of the forces and movements that pull the right foot/heel up too early when trying to go normal.

To piggy back on Tophdad's post, the best players have a bent rear arm into and through impact. What's the best way to achieve this and how is it related to going normal/the release?

Status
Not open for further replies.