Ryder Cup Rainsuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you believe that the U. S. is using rainwear that isn't fully waterproof? That is accordng to the announcers on ESPN. I wonder what brand of suit it is.
Jimmy

Probably made China......lowest bidder wins again! How stupid can whomever made this choice be....who would have thunk it would rain? It comes down to this....have everyone of the "team" look like a clone to one another or do what it takes to win? I say let them wear the clothes they are comfortable in and tee it up! It has become too much of a fashion show....wonder what Hogan would have done? When men were men.

Faldo must be feeling pleased with himself. He took huge pelters in the british press for his warning at the '08 closing ceremony to "bring your waterproofs when we see you in Wales"

Can't say you guys weren't warned...

Original suits were made by Sun Mountain. The US team ordered 20 new suits from ProQuip, who also supplied the European team.

Not good press for Sun Mountain. No wonder I get daily e-mails from an online golf store advertising their stuff as always being on sale.

I like Tiger's idea... Just contact the player's sponsor and have them make the clothes with no logos. Then all the players will be wearing the same things but it will be the same material, size, and shape that each of the players has grown comfortable with over the rest of the year. This goes for the golf bag too... at least it won't be half way full of water by the time you make it to the 3rd tee box.

Pavin's wife insisted on handling all "fashion" decisions - well done, cotton rain gear would've been more waterproof. Nothing like having to go out and buy replacement suits off the rack after 5 holes of golf. Two words, honey... Gore-Tex.

BTW, the bags she chose also leaked.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
The sad part is, I really liked all of the uniforms except for the rainsuits. I thought the basketball warm-up motif was a little odd.

However, the classic old school look of the uniforms and bags were great.

they actually spend huge money on the uniforms. The captains wives have pretty much always selected the stuff and the companies that make the stuff get paid. this time sun mountain may have ended their own business though.

What do you expect when they buy it from a bag company?
As an expert I can tell you lots of things could have gone wrong .
What was the shell fabric made from? Certain fabrics are more absorbable than others.
Does the fabric have a fluorocarbon treatment on the outside to resist water absorption?
What waterproof membrane was used? Coating? Laminate? 2 Layer or 3 Layer?
Are the seams sealed? If so which method?
Is the garment waterproof by design? Lots of potential problems here.

Pavin's wife insisted on handling all "fashion" decisions - well done, cotton rain gear would've been more waterproof. Nothing like having to go out and buy replacement suits off the rack after 5 holes of golf. Two words, honey... Gore-Tex.

BTW, the bags she chose also leaked.

Yikes. Hate to say it, but I haven't liked the pairings one bit by Pavin and statistically they make little sense. I've said from the beginning I'd be leery on using Mickelson because statistically he doesn't fit well with a lot of players (particularly DJ) and he's played lousy in his career over in Europe.

3JACK

Man are you saying you'd leave Mick off the team??

Number 2 in the world...birdies like crazy...experience...likeable/team player (I have to presume anyway)...

Anyone figure out the TV coverage? I originally thought the 8:00 am EST Saturday coverage on NBC was taped delayed. Now I see it will be airing also at 2:30 am EST Saturday on ESPN. Is this live or a replay? I'd rather not wake up at 2:30am to see a replay. By the way is it just me or is Curtis Strange always sort or hinting that the fans at the event are either already drunk or are going to start drinking as soon as there is a rain delay or play is completed?

Man are you saying you'd leave Mick off the team??

Number 2 in the world...birdies like crazy...experience...likeable/team player (I have to presume anyway)...

No.

I'm saying he's historically played like crap over in Europe. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is.

He's historically a mediocre Ryder Cup player (10-14-6) and he's a difficult guy to play alternate shot with because he's such a bomb-n-gouger.

Sooooo...I would keep a very careful eye on Phil and not make and not just play him in every team match just because he's the #2 ranked player in the world because frankly....that don't mean jack in the Ryder Cup. If that was the case, Tiger and Phil would've never lost as a team.

Here's the guys that statistically fit into a good partner for Phil (AS = Alternate Shot, BB = Best Ball)

Stricker (AS), Kuchar (AS), Watson (AS), Mahan (BB or AS), Furyk (BB)

This doesn't include the captain choices. But it figures in several statistical factors from this year like birdie percentage from fairway, birdie % from rough, scoring avg from 175-200 yards, scoring avg. from 200-225 yds, par-3, par-4 and par-5 scoring average, etc.

I think if I was the captain, I'd try to get ahold of the MIT statistician guys to do even more in depth analysis in what type of players statistically work well together, what type of players are good captain picks, etc.

I will say that Cink is on fire. I wasn't high on him at all, but he's proven me wrong. Although Azinger agreed with one sentiment I had...a lot of this talk about 'experience' often means that the players have 'bad experience' and aren't worth it.

3JACK

What do you expect when they buy it from a bag company?
As an expert I can tell you lots of things could have gone wrong .
What was the shell fabric made from? Certain fabrics are more absorbable than others.
Does the fabric have a fluorocarbon treatment on the outside to resist water absorption?
What waterproof membrane was used? Coating? Laminate? 2 Layer or 3 Layer?
Are the seams sealed? If so which method?
Is the garment waterproof by design? Lots of potential problems here.

They used the high-tech-retro fabric of terry cloth.

They leak! Really!? I am only listening to radio coverage and haven't picked up on that yet. Priceless.

Glad to hear the 'captainess' (Mrs. Pavin) has been so instrumental in kitting the guys out in very fashionable completely useless gear. The whole WAG thing generally makes me feel a little bit sick anyway, but the 'captainess' thing takes this to a new level of biliousness.

Not sure about the 'wild west saloon' style writing on the 'waterproof' jackets anyway. I like the idea, but looks odd in the wild west of... erm... Wales.

Also not sure about team stuff with individual names on them. Is this so the European fans can identify Jeff Overtown? :eek: We had nicknames stitched in small writing on team stuff at college, but it was more to stop hats getting mixed up in the changing rooms. I doubt these guys have the same trouble. Oi! Cink! You've taken my jacket again!

Seems like the weather has jumbled stuff up with the format. Looking forward to having six foursome matches out on the course at the same time though. Foursomes is a great game. There is an element of luck in fourballs as good dovetailing can beat good golf. Foursomes has no mercy.

It is sad that there are traditional links and heathland courses in the UK and even near Celtic Manor where they would probably have been able to play all day yesterday. Continues to baffle me why Europe invite the US over to play them on newer American style courses. I know there is a lot to do with infrastructure, investment and so on, but I'd rather see the Ryder Cup played on some of the tracks they use for the Walker Cup. I'm not suggesting that the European would have some great advantage because of this (the Walker Cups and the last Ryder Cup played on a 'traditional' course, Walton Heath, have shown that), just that it would be more fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.