Scholarship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the input, it is much appreciated.

Oli, the possibility to combine sport and the study of anything apart from Sports Science is still very limited in the UK. Europe in general, as Frans said, is very varied but I'm pretty sure that golf scholarships are an absolute rarity. In the UK, the more academic you are the less chance you have of pursuing both, especially if your sport is golf. So, in summary, it is possible but it's not really a very attractive option. Look at the top British golfers, few have studied anything - Poulter, Westwood, McIlroy, McDowell, Rose, Fisher, Clarke, Lawrie. A lot of Europeans fit into the same category. Any who have studied something, did it invariably in America.

cwd mentioned the AJGA events and the D1 to D3 categorisations. My son will not have the chance to play in any of these AJGA for obvious geographic reasons. But I believe the biggest events in the UK (and to a lesser degree in other European countries) have status similar to the AJGA events. BTW, what does this D1 to D3 really mean? Is it reflective of the academic standard? My son would be interested in studying something associated with math relating to economics and if he studies in the UK it would probably be a high level university but not "Ivy League"/Oxbridge.

Geographically I would be looking at probably the southern parts of the East Coast because the flying time is less and the weather is decent. And I've been told (perhaps wrongly) that it's easier for the Brits to settle there simply because of the historical links creating more affinity. Although California and Texas seem to have a lot to offer as well.

I have little experience of the US, so feel free to tell me if I'm misguided in any of my views.

I've got nothing helpful to add as to how to get a scholarship in the US - but just wanted to say that you must be proud Wulsy. Your boy's just starting out in life as a scratch handicap AND he's bright. You must have been doing something right. Nice one.

Thanks birly, I'm trying my best but I'm not sure if it's down to me!

The D in D1-D3 stands for Division. Division 1 and Division 2 universities/colleges are allowed a certain allotment in athletic scholarships per sport. Division 3 colleges are not allowed to give scholarship money for athletics. There is also the NAIA athletic association which are 4 year colleges that also are able to give athletic scholarships. Many states also have 2 year aka community colleges that are allowed athletic scholarships.

This of course is not addressing academic scholarships which are separate from athletic department scholarships. I would start researching the universities/colleges in the areas that interest you and start sending emails to their golf coaches.

And I've been told (perhaps wrongly) that it's easier for the Brits to settle there simply because of the historical links creating more affinity.

Well, if you were from Scotland, you'd definitely feel at home in the southeast. Most of our rednecks are scotch-irish.

"Their ties of kinship were as tight as the clans of Scotland. They were extremely independent, industrious and at times, a bit boisterous. It is true they were known to be boastful and seemed to feel that naught but the trees were higher than themselves. They could certainly provoke disorder and loud talk when they disagreed with a thing..."

...wait a second, that does sound like you Wulsy.

Last edited:
Let's say we narrowed it down to FL, GA and SC. What would be the most obvious considerations here where academic standards were high enough to make the academic study worthwhile in terms of job prospects?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Georgia and South Carolina picks: In no particular order

Georgia Tech
Emory
University of Georgia
Clemson
University of South Carolina
Georgia Southern
Oglethorpe
Coastal Carolina
Augusta State
Columbus State
Savannah State
USC-Aiken
Georgia State

Just to name a few. Research them and figure out which ones would be the most beneficial.

I know it's a ways off, but it he winds up in the Atlanta area or north of it he has a standing invitation to a home cooked meal anytime he wants one... he can even bring his pops when visiting. :D

Thanks for the list Jared.

mgran: Thanks very much for the invitation! Like you, he's not a herbivore;), loves his steak and ribs and can eat his ole Da under the table already!

Thanks BurnieBoy. I was aware of the programme but had not seen this link.

It seems to be pretty limited (£250k for 12 Unis and 90 scholarships??) and aimed at the absolute elite golfer. As I read it you would probably need to have been at international level from a fairly early stage so my son would be virtually excluded given that he really only got into golf in a big way about 18 months ago (he's 16 now).

In addition, he has decided he would like to study abroad as, like his aul Da, he is not a great fan of how out once great country has become.;)

Wuls,
And in the same vein as MGran's invite, if you and your lad find yourselves at a loose end in the NYC area, come and see me. Always good value to have a few types from the old country stick their heads round the door. First pint's on you...

Last edited:
Cheers Ols, thanks for the offer. I've got more invites on the other side of the pond than I have here! Maybe America is the place for me as well!

Here's a little inside tour of the standard athletic housing for colleges here in the U.S. It's not posh by any means, but for a little coal mining state school it's at least clean. I would think more prestigious schools like Duke would be a lot nicer... what without all the gaudy banners, titles, and such.

Standard school housing

Wulsy - worth checking this point out perhaps. You can't play D1 golf and study engineering, according to this.

If your son has serious academic aspirations, as well as golfing ones, something might have to give way before he even gets to college.

Are there generally regulations as to what academic disciplines are compatible with a golfing scholarship - or is this generally self-policing...

mgran: thanks again for your input. My son liked the look of the set up there, especially the bit about going into the kitchen and ordering your food directly from the chef. He does that to me right now so it would be a continuation. ;)

birls: yep, we need to become aware of these sort of issues. At the end of the day the academic is in his case more important than the golf as he does not want to pursue the golf professionally. He thinks there are easier ways to get rich.;)

I originally majored in chemistry, but was unable to get the lab classes I needed. I changed my major to biology because I was able to get more lab classes earlier in the morning. I needed an extra year to complete the lab classes I was missing due playing baseball. Some majors are not conducive to athletics. It still can be done, it just may take longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.