Should have engaged his spine engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
By "compression rate" do you mean "hardness of elasticity"

A harder ball or higher compression rate is a higher value on a durometer (Shore durometer - Wikipedia) so less shape loss or energy loss at impact. However current cover material together with multi-layer technology and core densities make this a special research subject all on it's own. It's not as easy anymore as just measuring it with a durometer :) Which is one of the reasons those compression rates that used to be placed on the ball are gone. You now can have relative soft cover hardness and overall high compression (Pro V1x) or hard cover/hard core or soft cover/soft core :) and everything between those values.

Nice list can be found here : http://www.golfballselector.com/pdf/GBS_CompressionHardness_Test_071213_v10.13a.pdf from GolfBallSelector.com

My CH speed is about 112mph. Would it be fair to assume I should only be using the hardest balls, which is again a total contradiction of the old adage that better players should be using softer balls for more control? What ball do you think is the hardest, and are the guys on tour like Bubba and Phil really using the same balls (ProV1) as we buy in the Pro Shop?

With that clubhead speed you will have more "fun" and gain more then most from the hardest ball and you will also really enjoy that thin face of your driver. Your speed will give more overall ballspeed and still stop on a dime. So pick as hard as you can find but still has the amount of spin and feel around and on the green.

For me the Pro-V1x is too soft (feel) around the green specially when putting for the greens I play so I play a really shitty 2 piece rock-hard ball, no spin but 20yards gain in relation to a pro-v1x. But ball flight and spin-axis tilt wise the pro-v1x or the old taylor made TP would improve my score more. If I just could stop losing those expensive balls....... <very big grin>

Last edited:
PS and with that speed I would stop playing found balls....It really ruins your distance control......

You're right! Looks like the Callaway Hex Black Tour and the Nike 20XI X are quite hard. Harder than the ProV1X.

Kevin, do you think the tour players are playing with something harder than the normal ProV1s?

golf balls

Hi Frans -

Given the following stats, what is your opinion on golf ball selection:

Data is from Flightscope session late last fall using Pro V-1x (my used golf balls).

Avg Driver Speed - 98 mph. Top speed 102 mph.

Avg Smash Factor - 1.45. Avg. Ball Speed 142 mph.

Avg. Launch 13 deg. Avg. Spin 2500. Avg. Angle of Attack 4.5 deg up.

I have been using the Pro V-1x since it came out. When playing the Sr Tour back in the 1990's, I used the Tour Balata 100 and the Professional 90. I am a fairly low spin player with irons - my wedges usually take once bounce and stop, but rarely back up.

I may have a chance to get some Track Man #s tomorrow. Will use used Pro V-1x's if I am able to get on the machine. Anyone else's opinions welcome. Will be ordering some balls from Titleist in the near future.

Thanks,

Bruce

Looking at the launch angle you are optimized for total length. Total length means less carry more roll. More roll means a low a spin @ landing as you can find. 2500rpm initial spin seems still too high for that objectice. However how your clubhead speed, swing (contact) and driver interfere with the ball and what the final result (spin) will be is hard to say specially because feel is also so important! Best advice I can give is to get a few different balls (brands), test them around the green and those that you still like test them with the driver while the TM or FS is running in the background.

PS be aware that less spin might mean also more (easier) spin-axis tilt so more deviation. So be absolute sure that finding those last few extra yards is really what you want....

PSS And even lesser spin while already be low with the irons means higher launch angle to keep the landing angle correct for the irons to keep it on the green....

Last edited:
Thanks Frans,

I have changed irons this year - AP2 now vs CB and also shafts KB C Taper Lite vs KB Tour, so I am launching the iron higher now. Also, as fairways are firming up now, I usually put the driver back to the 8.5 loft. On a normal day, I get about 235 carry and 30 to 40 yds of roll.
If I get a higher launch, I get a little more carry with a little less roll, so about the same.

Bruce

Thanks Frans,

I have changed irons this year - AP2 now vs CB and also shafts KB C Taper Lite vs KB Tour, so I am launching the iron higher now. Also, as fairways are firming up now, I usually put the driver back to the 8.5 loft. On a normal day, I get about 235 carry and 30 to 40 yds of roll.
If I get a higher launch, I get a little more carry with a little less roll, so about the same.

Bruce

So indeed already no to bad at all, looking at the TM driver fitting chart for total length that 235 carry is indeed already very close to the 100mph/5up/12.4launch max of 239 yards carry. I would not even try to get any closer :)

Hey Frans - do you have any opinions on the Modus 130 S flex as compared to say an old fashioned DG S300? I started using the Modus and am getting a few "flyers" where the ball is going really long, and on the same day a few where a good 5 iron is only 10 yds longer than a good 7 iron. Does this mean the shaft is too soft for my big bad swing? ;)

Hey Frans - do you have any opinions on the Modus 130 S flex as compared to say an old fashioned DG S300? I started using the Modus and am getting a few "flyers" where the ball is going really long, and on the same day a few where a good 5 iron is only 10 yds longer than a good 7 iron. Does this mean the shaft is too soft for my big bad swing? ;)

No, IMHO it never possible to make any correct assumption on whatever club parameter and it's relation for the any of the swing parameters without some analyses. :>

LOL, the longest ball today was an old Precept extra spin brick - was going a good bit past everything else!

Wulsy, there is no way they use the same balls

I'm having a hard time understanding why Titleist would sell softer golf balls to the public than the balls the tour pros use.

Aren't shouldn't regular players use harder balls than the tour pros so it'll spin less and stay in the fairway?

Status
Not open for further replies.