Should I Give Up Putting Practice - Or just quit golf altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems the more I practice putting the worse I am on the course (and worse is really bad). And I have been practicing a lot lately.

In practice, I make good strokes, have good speed control, can start the putts on line, etc.

On the course, I am just the opposite. I putt in "fear". Even 12" to 18" inch putts are hard for me - it they go in, it is just in on the edges, rarely in the center. I have missed numerous times this year from even that short a distance. I maybe can make 25% to 30% of 3 footers.

Most birdie putts in the 6' to 12' range are just usually weak attempt to make sure I can 2 putt. If I really try to make one of these, I may hit it 2 or 3 feet past - 3 putt city a lot of the times.

Just came off a five 3 putt round yesterday - all but one inside 30' and one was a 3 putt par on a par five I reached with a 6 iron.

My "long game" is capable of par or better most times. Sand play is solid (except that I miss too many short putts after good sand shots). Chipping is mediocre and putting is horrible. Players in my group will turn their backs when I have a short putt as they don't want to watch.

My pattern on most short putts is a weak pull to the left (total decel) or a rush of blood to hit a hard push to the right. I can miss the line by 6" either way on short putts. I can generally start the ball close to the line on longer putts as I have "momentum" on my side. No putter face control at all.

I seldom have less than 36 putts for a round. Can't remember the last time I had 30 or less.

I am almost ready to quit the game. I have tried the belly (can push and pull short ones with that also), cross handed, split grip, side saddle, etc. Pretty much the same results. Been suffering now going on 4 years with this.

HELP!!

Thanks,

Bruce

I always struggled with my putting until i got my current putter. Its only 33 inches and am 6ft 3. Its given me confidence which is such a huge part of putting. Have you tried a shorter putter or any other standard putters?

My "normal" putter is a 35" Taylor Made "Rossa" mallet. I also have a 33.5" SC Newport 2.5, a Yes "belly" length. Old putters in my "bin" are a 35" Bullseye LaFemme (used exclusively from the late 1960's until the early 90's, and a Bobby Grace "Fat Lady" - 35".

Bruce -

As you can see by my user name, I'm a firm believer that the mental side of the game is critical to good putting. Naturally, we all need a putter that fits us, and we all need some sense of rhythm, timing and ROLLING the ball along our target line, but, we also need to convince ourselves (have confidence) that we can make a putt from anywhere and that anything inside 6 feet is a gimme for us.

Based on your comments above, I would go to the putting green and work on regaining a feel for a softly swinging putter head - one that ROLLS the ball along the target line. And I would do it by putting with only my right hand (assuming you are a right-handed player).

Also, rather than starting with shorts putts, start with the longest putt possible on the practice green. Take your proper stance and grip, then remove your left hand and drop it to your side. Take a few RH only practice strokes. Sense the speed of the green and amount of putter head swing needed to roll the ball into the cup. Strive to smoothly swing the putter head and ROLL the ball along your intended path. (I always visualize a yellow painted path - like a highway divider line - that guides the ball from my stance and into the cup. This is especially helpful on those short putts that you mentioned).

Keep doing the right-hand only putts from that max distance until your feel for the putter head has the ball finishing near or in the cup. Then move a few feet closer to the hole and repeat. Keep repeating and advancing until you are rolling in several three-footers in a row.

Now go back to your starting point and repeat the process using both hands. Don't be surprised if adding the second hand causes a temporary loss of feel and distance control that you had gained during the one-hand drill. Just focus on regaining that feel/rhythm/tempo with both hands.

And, yes, if you practice this drill often and long enough there will be days when you feel like you can putt better one-handed. But, usually, that's just a tip that you are doing something destructive (tension/steering) with your lead hand.

Bruce - never forget ... you are a great putter.

Have you gone to a larger grip (like a super stroke fatso)? Have you tried putting lefty? What always helps me when I hit a bad putting patch is to "putt like an athlete". Meaning trying to do it almost reactivity with a free swinging putter and no thought of mechanics.

Last edited:
My "normal" putter is a 35" Taylor Made "Rossa" mallet. I also have a 33.5" SC Newport 2.5, a Yes "belly" length. Old putters in my "bin" are a 35" Bullseye LaFemme (used exclusively from the late 1960's until the early 90's, and a Bobby Grace "Fat Lady" - 35".
I have fallen into the trap of "the more expensive the putter, the better it must be for my game." However, when I'm not completely satisfied with my putting, I pull out one of my trusty Bullseye putters and do the practice drill outlined above. Then, when I switch back to a heel/toe weighted putter, it feels like I'm cheating! :)

All - thanks for your comments so far.

Puttmaster - I already roll the ball great on the practice green - free swinging putter with soft hands, but that stroke does not carry over to the course - some days I can putt the medium length and longer putts pretty well - but I struggle every day with short putts. I practice 3 to 4 days per week and play 2 or 3 times a week.

I can easily play 1, 2 or even 3 rounds with no one putt greens.

Maybe its time to go back to the Bulls Eye (very light by todays standards) and try to call up the stroke I used to use when I was a very good player and at least an average to slightly better than average putter. The Bulls Eye got me through Senior Tour School (7th) back at the end or 1992 and I used it some early on the tour, but then fell to the tempatation to try the "newest & greatest" that the equipment mfgrs keep throwing at tour players.

Bruce

Bruce - on the course you may be taking the putter head back too far on those short putts - and then decelerating through (and/or popping it to counteract the decel on the previous hole). I previously have read about your senior tour experience, so I KNOW you are a great putter. Try a few rounds with the Bullseye - always helps me. Your playing partners only wish they could putt as well as you do.

Sounds 100% mental to me. Your friends "turning their backs" makes it worse.

Give up practice? NO
Quit golf? NO

You need to practice those 3 footers until you can do it with your eyes closed. Then when you get up to a real one you can tell yourself "it's just like the practice green."

Change your mind and it will change your game.

When you stand over a 3 footer on the course do you find yourself saying: "if I do x, y and z like I did on the practice green, this will drop"?
If so, you may just be FOCUSING on the wrong aspects of putting.

I enjoyed your write-ups of your playing past and know that you're a VERY accomplished player. You don't get there without innate athleticism and talent with the short stick. However, it's easy to begin focusing on the procedural/mechanical aspects of putting and become bound/distracted by those thoughts rather than allowing your natural abilities to take control and "feeling" the putter.

You may benefit from the "bird whistle drill". It's the creation of another instructor (albeit one that I believe multiple Manz academy staff have a relationship with) so I won't post the material here. I will say that FOCUSING on this drill while on the course has dramatically improved my putting. I FOCUS solely on the change in sound while over the putt (on the course) and the freedom/fluidity of the stroke is really astounding. Not to mention the number of putts the start pouring in...

I have Geoff's book and worked with him personally for about 45 minutes 3 or 4 years ago. While I could make the changes on the practice green, under the gun on the course in another story. I know it is a mental issue - it is pretty embarrasing to "choke" on a 2' putt for a $2 bet.

You need a control alt delete LOL no kidding.
I would take every putter you own and put them in the closet for at least 3 weeks. No practice putting!!!!
if you play figure out some other club to putt with don't borrow anyone's putter!
Your mind needs time to unclutter.
Forget using a putter just wing it on the course. More instructions and ideas will only make things worse.
This worked for me last year really well when I was in a horrible funk.
Just let go.....

You could do what my dad has done over the past several years. He was an excellent lag putter who was ok, but never consistent on short putts. He developed a "stock" short putt stroke. For any putt inside 6 feet or so, he hits it like it is an 8 footer. He hits them all the same speed. He never has to worry about the speed, and consequently, he has a very easy time picking the line. 6 footers tend to fall into the hole with a bit of pace, while 3 footers bang in the back.

Sure, he misses a short putt, here or there. Maybe 1 every other round or so. But, he has his confidence in them and it rarely gets shaken.

And, since I used to have a huge advantage on him from 6 feet and in, all of this irritates me to no end.

dbl

New
Sounds like you are too concerned with the outcome.

My suggestion is to enjoy the process of line up and backswing and coming into impact, the swing of the clubhead; and after that you care nothing, not a damn thing (and have no control anyway). You made the stroke, your best one for what you could read and do, and that's all.

Not sure it will help - but the worst is that you miss, and you can handle that, of course, and if it matters to you to compare to your current method... it is "no worse". In fact, I'm sure you'll hole more. Confidence will grow; etc. Keep having no thought(s) as to outcome.

Last edited:
Brian - I am all ears and eyes - I could use some ideas - PM me if you would rather.

Thanks for your help in the past - full swing is really coming together with the "New Release" ideas.

Bruce

Brian fixed my putting with a couple of things. Freeing up my stroke was the result. I had struggled with my putting for several years and I became more and more technical trying to solve what I thought was a poor stroke. (I put a lot of blame on a free Pelz clinic I attended way back in the late 80's) I literally quit golf for a year because of my putting a while back.

I now practice my putting 1/3rd as much as I did and my putting is close to as good as it was when I played in college. I actually feel like I can make any putt I look at now instead of trying not to 3-putt every birdie chance. Huge difference in confidence and expectations.

For me, the worst thing I ever did for my putting was to let my brain get involved in trying to get better. I have a library FULL of putting books and every one of them took me further down the rabbit hole. Now all I work on is speed and green reading. Brian basically killed off my putting brain! LOL!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.