Should Stricker Try Lowering His Hands A Little?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He plays a draw, yes?

Wonder if he gets too in to out often.

?

And....more loading, probably more speed, no?

He is Top10 in the world, I know.

Maybe he has tried.

Maybe someone w more experience can tell me why or why not this is a good idea.

(I realize ideas are only ideas)

footwedge

He plays a draw, yes?

Wonder if he gets too in to out often.

?

And....more loading, probably more speed, no?

He is Top10 in the world, I know.

Maybe he has tried.

Maybe someone w more experience can tell me why or why not this is a good idea.

(I realize ideas are only ideas)

It suits him.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
His swing is definately susceptible to a big over draw. But geez.....I wouldnt try anything until it looks like hes having problems. Meteoric rise from nowhere to #2 or 3 in the world. Keep on doin what ur doin!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I have never really liked his takeaway though, lots of popout. I know he is playing fantastic and I will never say a tour player strikes it bad, but really he gets it done with a great putter and phenomenal wedges.

My only basis for saying this is he was the least impressive on the range at the Tour Championship last year....and I know that doesn't mean much either, just throwing it out there.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I have never really liked his takeaway though, lots of popout. I know he is playing fantastic and I will never say a tour player strikes it bad, but really he gets it done with a great putter and phenomenal wedges.

My only basis for saying this is he was the least impressive on the range at the Tour Championship last year....and I know that doesn't mean much either, just throwing it out there.

Gotta start planning for April with mgranato and yourself. Sugarloaf?

I realize all that.

He has a good swing. It's not a big change though. (or at least to try)

Tough to know without asking him or having him try it eh? It has come to mind often though. Just an idea.

He might hit it further and swing lefter, IF in fact he needs that.

Last edited:
I always wonder this with players...

Like Freddie Couples...

"Well Fred maybe if you pivoted a little different your back would be better. You wouldn't have to reef it so hard underneath you in the downswing to hit the ball."

("You might have to play more of a draw though...or change your grip a little, or bend your clubs a little, or something...")

Or something. Again- just an Idea. It could be wrong.

How the heck you gon get a player to try that if they don't want to though? How you gonna tell that to Fred Couples?

Maybe one day players will be able to make changes easier...and be less worried about trying things...more trustful of instruction...less reason to be skeptical about instruction...

(on a larger scale, that is)

Maybe I am being dumb. It is possible.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I always wonder this with players...

Like Freddie Couples...

"Well Fred maybe if you pivoted a little different your back would be better. You wouldn't have to reef it so hard underneath you in the downswing to hit the ball."

("You might have to play more of a draw though...or change your grip a little, or bend your clubs a little, or something...")

Or something. Again- just an Idea. It could be wrong.

How the heck you gon get a player to try that if they don't want to though? How you gonna tell that to Fred Couples?

Maybe one day players will be able to make changes easier...and be less worried about trying things...more trustful of instruction...less reason to be skeptical about instruction...

(on a larger scale, that is)

Maybe I am being dumb. It is possible.

This my goal.

I have seen freddie practice his short game several times at shady canyon.
He could hit it all over the place becuase his chipping is so good.

I cannot tell you how much better his chipping is then a +2 player.

Amazing, true plaesure to sit and stare.

Seems to be a "Feel" player, as it's said...

A good long putter too apparently. (said to be not good on short putts for some reason, interestingly)

I wonder if he just executes monitoring feel, per se...whatever happens happens...usually a good shot. Would be interesting to know. If anyone knows post it up...

Brian said something like he was the best ballstriker he saw on tour (at the present time?) until Tiger came on...

Last edited:
I realize all that.

He has a good swing. It's not a big change though. (or at least to try)

Tough to know without asking him or having him try it eh? It has come to mind often though. Just an idea.

He might hit it further and swing lefter, IF in fact he needs that.

What may seem small to you is probably a big change to a tour pro who has grooved his swing through hitting hundreds of thousands of balls. If he is not playing badly then he need not change anything.
Trying to increase a pro's clubhead speed through mechanics is very tough, few succeed.

Were his high-hands setup part of the swing changes that he made for more consistency? If that's the case, I'd be willing to bet he's not touching it with a 10' pole...

Im sure thats wasnt the plan when he started playing golf and happened to setup that way, but that IS where his hands are headed at impact....why not start there glcoach?

Status
Not open for further replies.