Should Stricker Try Lowering His Hands A Little?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What may seem small to you is probably a big change to a tour pro who has grooved his swing through hitting hundreds of thousands of balls. If he is not playing badly then he need not change anything.
Trying to increase a pro's clubhead speed through mechanics is very tough, few succeed.

Fair enough.

I have no idea what he has tried.

Would it ruin the guy to try lowering his hands a little though?

Dunno.

It is just an idea, once again. I ain't here to tell anyone what to do.

I try stuff all the time. No big deal. If it doesn't work...I go back...

Not a Tour Player, granted. But I'm not talking "overhaul" either.

A setup change! (idea) That's it.

Not playing badly...but...or maybe he doesn't care about playing better...

Last edited:
Fair enough.

I have no idea what he has tried.

Would it ruin the guy to try lowering his hands a little though?

Dunno.

It is just an idea, once again. I ain't here to tell anyone what to do.

I try stuff all the time. No big deal. If it doesn't work...I go back...

Not a Tour Player, granted. But I'm not talking "overhaul" either.

A setup change! (idea) That's it.

Not playing badly...but...or maybe he doesn't care about playing better...

Doesn't care about playing better? hmmm doubt that.... Hard to feel compelle dto makechanges when you are making so much bank,just have a prettier swing. I guess I dont understand why would want to change much of anything.

He sets up w/ his rt forearm on plane similar to Brian Gay and Appleby. I have played real well w/ this aligment. Tracing w/ number #3, feeling very little plane shift, etc. BUT misses are always left. Thats the thing w/ hands controlled pivot and the concept of forearm tracing, I tend to fail to get my own ass out of the way, pivot stall, go left.

Im working on the SDP this winter, I can always fallback on the "zero shift" feel and rt forearm on plane. "steering" action to save a round, but I want to get more athletic and let my pivot wallup the ball.

Stricker is a pro, and of course has a great pivot. Why does he plays w/ minimal wrist cock and rt forearm on elbow plane at set up, possibly to minimize the "feel" of less plane shifts (although he still double shifts) and get back to impact position more easily? dont know. Im just a hack...

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I was looking at his swing on lake1926 youtube and noticed a few things. he could prob make an upgrade to his intial downswing handpath to avoid the club sweeping from the inside as much and the overdraws he gets sometimes. But if I was him listening to me...youd have to be pretty darn convincing before I made the change.

Doesn't care about playing better? hmmm doubt that.... Hard to feel compelle dto makechanges when you are making so much bank,just have a prettier swing. I guess I dont understand why would want to change much of anything.

I understand all that snead. I was being sarcastic, I guess. Tough to tell on the internet sometimes. I know...he makes money- and wins. But I stand by the premise of trying to get better. Smartly of course.

If you keep doing the same things, you'll keep getting pretty well the same results. Now if that means a few mill a year that's pretty good yes. But if I was him I'd just give it a try, and see what happens.

Fickle game yes...but it is not an "overhaul" at all. I wouldn't dream of it!

I am not saying you can't play bad from his setup of course. He plays great!

He sets up w/ his rt forearm on plane similar to Brian Gay and Appleby. I have played real well w/ this aligment. Tracing w/ number #3, feeling very little plane shift, etc. BUT misses are always left. Thats the thing w/ hands controlled pivot and the concept of forearm tracing, I tend to fail to get my own ass out of the way, pivot stall, go left.

You may hit less lefts if you lowered your hands a little. No guarantees but...

Stricker is a pro, and of course has a great pivot. Why does he plays w/ minimal wrist cock and rt forearm on elbow plane at set up, possibly to minimize the "feel" of less plane shifts (although he still double shifts) and get back to impact position more easily? dont know. Im just a hack...

It's all good. Like I said, maybe he tried it. Maybe he does know what he's doing. (well no doubt he must a little right...) Bet he tried a bunch of stuff to get back to where he is. Made a big comeback, Stricker did.

Last edited:
I was looking at his swing on lake1926 youtube and noticed a few things. he could prob make an upgrade to his intial downswing handpath to avoid the club sweeping from the inside as much and the overdraws he gets sometimes.

Cool Kevin.

But if I was him listening to me...youd have to be pretty darn convincing before I made the change.

If I were him, I'd be skeptical of me too...:)

Some bum from the internet.

Cool Kevin.

If I were him, I'd be skeptical of me too...:)

Some bum from the internet.

hahaha.....funny

I do want his putting stroke, I wonder if it is angle hinge like the one Brian's "Sherriff" teaches you, or if its more like Crenshaw's open/close method. A notable source did say he grips it about an 11 on a 1-10 scale which seems odd, but the guy is a tour coach and was standing right next to him, basically said you could see "white knuckles"

David Tom's putting stroke = to die for

But I would love to see Strick win a major, prolly more than anyone else....cool guy

Status
Not open for further replies.