Steeper and Deeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Recently, I have noticed something that allows me to hit it better. It is something Brian and I worked on in lessons, but not something I fully understood.

Deeper arms in the back swing with a steeper shoulder turn. In reading the "Let the elbows seperate" thread, Brian said there would be more to pull on. I have found that with deeper arms at the end of the back swing along with steeper shoulders there is also more to pull on and is especially complimentary to the pullback, run up and jump move.

Any thoughts?

I believe it has to do with balance in the BS. With the arms going deeper behind you in the BS you are sort of forced to catch yourself by recruiting more muscles for balance, thus making you more "dynamic" in the downswing to regain your balance creating more "pull"..just my theory.

Tim Clarke, Holmes, Villegas come immediately to mind. Not to mention Palmer and Snead.

Tim Clarke I think is the most accurate driver on Tour?

Masters Champ!

Angel Cabrera is the same. His right elbow gets deeper, but because he lets them separate, the club stays between his arms and doesn't get as deep as his right arm! He of course, bombs it as well!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Cabrera is the model for what I am talking about. Great swing, no inhibitions at all..

Here is a slo mo swing of him

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD82Yz7ZjMQ&feature=channel_page[/media]

Cabrera is the model for what I am talking about. Great swing, no inhibitions at all..

Here is a slo mo swing of him

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD82Yz7ZjMQ&feature=channel_page[/media]

In terms of just watching someone's swing and seeing them smack golf balls, Cabrera may be my favorite player to watch. McIlroy is up there, too.

Recently, I have noticed something that allows me to hit it better. It is something Brian and I worked on in lessons, but not something I fully understood.

Deeper arms in the back swing with a steeper shoulder turn. In reading the "Let the elbows seperate" thread, Brian said there would be more to pull on. I have found that with deeper arms at the end of the back swing along with steeper shoulders there is also more to pull on and is especially complimentary to the pullback, run up and jump move.

Any thoughts?

gl,
Re the right arm position at the top, you can answer your own question here...:)
Pick up a ball and go to throw it with your right arm....stop at the top.....note the position of your upper right arm....you will find it is fully extended and in line with your shoulders (from elbow through to left shoulder is basically a straight line)....this is what your body tells you to do to get the most powerful throw...it tells you (unconciously) to maximise your "throwing" arc...
Now you can't get your right arm in exactly the same position during the golf backswing due to the radius limitation of your left arm, but the principle still applies....

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
gl,
Re the right arm position at the top, you can answer your own question here...:)
Pick up a ball and go to throw it with your right arm....stop at the top.....note the position of your upper right arm....you will find it is fully extended and in line with your shoulders (from elbow through to left shoulder is basically a straight line)....this is what your body tells you to do to get the most powerful throw...it tells you (unconciously) to maximise your "throwing" arc...
Now you can't get your right arm in exactly the same position during the golf backswing due to the radius limitation of your left arm, but the principle still applies....

Gotcha, as a former college baseball pitcher, that makes a ton of sense..very, very true.

you're right... the right arm tries to get as far away as possible, but its limited to fact that you're also holding the club with the left arm - a distance restrictor.

Deeper arms and shoulder moving lower sounds pretty good.

Easier said than done, I am trying this as well, practice swings are good , ball there bad, I have been finding if I takeaway more with the right arm it gets deeper and the left stays more connected, if I use the left it disconnects quickly, now if I can only get this before wed a major amateur event!!

Easier said than done, I am trying this as well, practice swings are good , ball there bad, I have been finding if I takeaway more with the right arm it gets deeper and the left stays more connected, if I use the left it disconnects quickly, now if I can only get this before wed a major amateur event!!

Tim, did you try the pec grab?......

Any thoughts?

Yeah!

Your left arm can swing onto your chest better if your elbows separate a little; it gets on there a little tighter. The pivot can put a little more "umpf" into blasting that left arm off your chest.

Naturally, you'll want to aim that "umpf" at the ball and your steeper shoulder turn allows you to get that power heading in the right direction.

Yeah!

The pivot can put a little more "umpf" into blasting that left arm off your chest.

Naturally, you'll want to aim that "umpf" at the ball and your steeper shoulder turn allows you to get that power heading in the right direction.

CM,

This is one concept I have a great deal of trouble with....

Can you clarify when you want the left arm to "blast off" your chest...or is it just an expression...

In my own case I find the quality of strike depends on maintaining as much connection (upper left arm/chest) as possible, until after impact....if the left arm has slid down the chest at all, it is due to the right arm straightening before and through impact, after which the left arm acts in a very similar fashion to the right arm in the backswing, i.e. left elbow folding and then upper left arm releasing itself from the left side (quite late in the follow through) ......

CM,

This is one concept I have a great deal of trouble with....

Can you clarify when you want the left arm to "blast off" your chest...or is it just an expression...

In my own case I find the quality of strike depends on maintaining as much connection (upper left arm/chest) as possible, until after impact....if the left arm has slid down the chest at all, it is due to the right arm straightening before and through impact, after which the left arm acts in a very similar fashion to the right arm in the backswing, i.e. left elbow folding and then upper left arm releasing itself from the left side (quite late in the follow through) ......

I feel this same way..In the last couple of days I have experimented with the side scrunching(lateral flexion) you have described to me before and feel that I cannot blast the arm off the chest, if I have that thought I extend the right arm early as well and flip and hit behind it,chunkalicious...no fun at all. Being primarily a "swinger" in TGM terms and using Brians SDP, my feel is to just keep pivoting while adding the lateral flexion(side scrunching). Maybe for me having further practice with "the toss" will have me releasing the 4th accumulator better and maybe I'd feel the blast off the chest. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.