Super Bowl Prediction - with your smack talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If Joe Namath is in, Warner is a lock. Ward should have a whole new category for him - football player. Its the football hall of fame not the fantasy hall of fame.

"Career" is the operative word. Never has the phrase "hot and cold" been more suitable in describing a career.

The following is from Peter King (he has a HOF vote as well) who writes for CNNSI and I agree with his last statement. Stats do not lie. The man was great for half of his career and horrible the other half.

" Great Kurt I
3 years
1999-2001
43 starts
4,204 average passing yards
33-17 TDs to Int Ratio

The Kurt-Falls-To-Earth Intermission
5 years
2002-06
31 starts
1,588 average passing yards
5-6 TDs to Int Ratio

Great Kurt II
2 years
2007-08
27 starts
4,000 average passing yards
29-16 TDs to Int Ratio

Would my opinion change if Warner, who will be 38 on opening day 2009, won a third MVP? Or he won a second Super Bowl, with a second team? It very well could. Let's see what the future brings. "

Yep...good post. Remember as Conkanen said Peter King has a vote...who is part of the media. And we all have seen how bad the media has screwed up the Baseball HOF.

I like Hines Ward but I despise his cutback blind side blocks. Perfectly legal but not neccessary. No need to end a guys career by hitting him with all ya got when he's not looking.

I know Hines exposes himself across the middle at times but I'm afraid someone is going to take the same cheap shot against him some day.

I don't know why you think Wartner is going to lose the game - he's the reason they are in the Super Bowl to begin with. Ben is the one you should worry about.......runs around like a madman and throws up "prayers" ......

Okay this is what I think and Why I think it. The reason I think Warner will turn the ball over so much is because of the match up between the 2 teams and the personnel that each team brings. Pittsburgh runs a very pre-snap movement oriented base 3-4/cover 3/rotation based mike/sam backer set. Basically, there is really only one area on the field that you can really attack them and that is with the running back lined up all over the field, in the slot, out wide etc.,etc. The only teams that really gave the steelers fits were Tennesse and the Eagles. They were able to line their backs up all over the field and their backs can actually make plays out of the backfield CATCHING the ball, and not check off screens, making plays in space. The Cardinals will not be able to run the ball successfully...Casey Hampton will be a big reason for that...Why, because they will have to double team him, and that frees up an extra man to make tackles. So, you don't have to bring an extra man in the box to help with the run and since the running backs for Arizona don't make plays in open space...that negates the running game. Now as for the passing game..The Steelers can double team Fitzgerald, because they dont have to move a safety in the box to defend the run, BAM Fitzgerald is slowed down a little. Since, Boldin can't run routes or catch and he is all about "GETTIN SUM RESPEC" he's done. Whisenhunt will bail on the run after the first half, Kurt Warner throws the ball 60 times and the Cardinals become one dimensional...he gets confused and throws INTs and gets sacked and fumbles...So..there you go Steelers WIN.:D Oh and NO I hate fantasy football

Is this insinuating that the Steelers will win BECAUSE the referees will cheat for them??? The steelers don't need help...Warner will provide enough of that on his own.

To clarify:

The teams are matched as evenly as I've ever seen in an nfl championship. The steelers don't NEED help from the refs, but they will get it nonetheless. Las Vegas controls the refs, and this year Vegas wants the steelers on top. You'll see. 24-17. The questionable holding calls will begin near the end of the second quarter.

Last edited:
To clarify:

The teams are matched as evenly as I've ever seen in an nfl championship. The steelers don't NEED help from the refs, but they will get it nonetheless. Las Vegas controls the refs, and this year Vegas wants the steelers on top. You'll see. 24-17. The questionable holding calls will begin near end of the second quarter when pittsburgh defaults to the running game.

Are you kidding?? Yeah Arizona meant to lose 7 games in the NFC this year.. right. Do you have inside info that we are not privied to?? By the way holding, according to the rule book, happens on pretty much every play. Right, Las Vegas CONTROLS the refs, this isn't the NBA, there aren't many Tim Donaghys' out there man...please. Well, If you have that much inside info you should bet the house man. Im getting upset because I have a good friend who's father used to referee in the NFL...So, I don't think so bud.

Are you kidding?? Yeah Arizona meant to lose 7 games in the NFC this year.. right. Do you have inside info that we are not privied to?? By the way holding, according to the rule book, happens on pretty much every play. Right, Las Vegas CONTROLS the refs, this isn't the NBA, there aren't many Tim Donaghys' out there man...please. Well, If you have that much inside info you should bet the house man. Im getting upset because I have a good friend who's father used to referee in the NFL...So, I don't think so bud.

Relax brother. I'm sure your friend's dad was one of the good guys.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I like Hines Ward but I despise his cutback blind side blocks. Perfectly legal but not neccessary. No need to end a guys career by hitting him with all ya got when he's not looking.

I know Hines exposes himself across the middle at times but I'm afraid someone is going to take the same cheap shot against him some day.

You're either the hammer or the nail. Ed Reed, Bart Scott, that scmutz from Cincy......they all would take Ward's head off if given the chance....especially if he wasnt looking. Kill or be killed in that league. People still just cant come to terms with a wideout that kicks so much ass.

Besides Peter King - sports writer's opinion on Kurt

Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana recently told interviewer Dan Patrick that Warner was a "shoo-in" for the Hall.

The strong consensus seems to be that Warner can clinch a spot in the Hall of Fame by leading his Arizona Cardinals to an upset victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl on Sunday.

I'd argue that Warner already has established the Hall of Fame credentials. My friend Peter King of Sports Illustrated, and others, have expressed reservations because Warner has had only three or four great seasons. And some point out that Warner has played in only 110 regular-season NFL games.

But modern-era Hall of Fame QB Bob Waterfield played in 91 games. And Warner isn't that far from matching games-played totals of other Hall of Fame QBs — Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Norm Van Brocklin.

Actually the games-played total can be used in Warner's favor. Even though he's played in fewer games, Warner has passed for more career yards than many Hall of Famers, including Staubach, Namath, Van Brocklin, Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Bobby Layne, Sammy Baugh, George Blanda and Y.A. Tittle. And Warner has more touchdown passes than Hall of Famers Troy Aikman, Namath, Staubach and Van Brocklin.

Moreover, Warner is a two-time NFL MVP. His regular-season career QB rating of 93.8 ranks No. 3 in NFL history. He has the fourth-highest passing yards per attempt average (8.04) in NFL history and is No. 2 in completion percentage. He has passed for 300 yards or more in 48 of his 101 starts, a preposterous percentage that is easily the highest in NFL history. And Warner's average of 259.9 yards passing per game is No. 1 in NFL history

Warner is also one of the best postseason quarterbacks of all time. His postseason record is 8-2. He has the second-highest postseason QB rating in NFL history, 97.3. He was a Super Bowl MVP. He holds the record for most yards passing (414) in a Super Bowl. He threw a 73-yard TD pass to Isaac Bruce to win a Super Bowl. He delivered the Rams (1999) and Cardinals (2008) into the Super Bowl by throwing late, winning TD passes in the NFC championship game. And even in the Super Bowl the Rams lost, Warner rallied them from 14 points down in the fourth quarter to tie, only to have New England's Adam Vinatieri win it on a last-play field goal.

How many guys at the very top of their league fall off, then get back to the top again? And keep in mind that Warner did something that many people thought was nearly impossible: He won a Super Bowl ring for Georgia Frontiere, and he took Bill Bidwill to the Super Bowl. The Rams were 45-99 in the 1990s before Warner and the 1999 Rams won the Super Bowl. And the Cardinals haven't won an NFL championship since 1947. It's not like Warner led the Tom Landry-coached Dallas Cowboys or the Bill Belichick-coached New England Patriots to Super Bowls. No, Warner lifted two of the league's bottom teams to the highest level of achievement.

Again: Please give me the name of another player who has done something like this in NFL history.

Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana recently told interviewer Dan Patrick that Warner was a "shoo-in" for the Hall.

The strong consensus seems to be that Warner can clinch a spot in the Hall of Fame by leading his Arizona Cardinals to an upset victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl on Sunday.

I'd argue that Warner already has established the Hall of Fame credentials. My friend Peter King of Sports Illustrated, and others, have expressed reservations because Warner has had only three or four great seasons. And some point out that Warner has played in only 110 regular-season NFL games.

But modern-era Hall of Fame QB Bob Waterfield played in 91 games. And Warner isn't that far from matching games-played totals of other Hall of Fame QBs — Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Norm Van Brocklin.

Actually the games-played total can be used in Warner's favor. Even though he's played in fewer games, Warner has passed for more career yards than many Hall of Famers, including Staubach, Namath, Van Brocklin, Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Bobby Layne, Sammy Baugh, George Blanda and Y.A. Tittle. And Warner has more touchdown passes than Hall of Famers Troy Aikman, Namath, Staubach and Van Brocklin.

Moreover, Warner is a two-time NFL MVP. His regular-season career QB rating of 93.8 ranks No. 3 in NFL history. He has the fourth-highest passing yards per attempt average (8.04) in NFL history and is No. 2 in completion percentage. He has passed for 300 yards or more in 48 of his 101 starts, a preposterous percentage that is easily the highest in NFL history. And Warner's average of 259.9 yards passing per game is No. 1 in NFL history

Warner is also one of the best postseason quarterbacks of all time. His postseason record is 8-2. He has the second-highest postseason QB rating in NFL history, 97.3. He was a Super Bowl MVP. He holds the record for most yards passing (414) in a Super Bowl. He threw a 73-yard TD pass to Isaac Bruce to win a Super Bowl. He delivered the Rams (1999) and Cardinals (2008) into the Super Bowl by throwing late, winning TD passes in the NFC championship game. And even in the Super Bowl the Rams lost, Warner rallied them from 14 points down in the fourth quarter to tie, only to have New England's Adam Vinatieri win it on a last-play field goal.

How many guys at the very top of their league fall off, then get back to the top again? And keep in mind that Warner did something that many people thought was nearly impossible: He won a Super Bowl ring for Georgia Frontiere, and he took Bill Bidwill to the Super Bowl. The Rams were 45-99 in the 1990s before Warner and the 1999 Rams won the Super Bowl. And the Cardinals haven't won an NFL championship since 1947. It's not like Warner led the Tom Landry-coached Dallas Cowboys or the Bill Belichick-coached New England Patriots to Super Bowls. No, Warner lifted two of the league's bottom teams to the highest level of achievement.

Again: Please give me the name of another player who has done something like this in NFL history.

I can't give you a name man. I do have a question for ya...why don't all writers see it this way? I'm sure they have at least heard the arguement you presented. Is it that they don't like him..I can't really see that, dude seems really cool, answers all media questions, good in community,christian fellow etc. Maybe, the writers just hate his wife that much that they are punishing him for her being so ANNOYING:)

Look...no one is saying Kurt hasn't done some lofty things but 5 years of suckitude(equal to half of his career) doesn't make him a first ballot Hall of Famer. Simple as that. And I am as neutral on this as anyone. Would I be surprised if he was voted in? No. Would I be surprised if he wasn't? No. Would I like to see him in there? Hell Yeah. What's not to like about the Kurt Warner story?

To say that it isn't at least "debatable" is mind boggling to me. I with Peter King on this one.

Who is Peter King anyway

Look...no one is saying Kurt hasn't done some lofty things but 5 years of suckitude(equal to half of his career) doesn't make him a first ballot Hall of Famer. Simple as that. And I am as neutral on this as anyone. Would I be surprised if he was voted in? No. Would I be surprised if he wasn't? No. Would I like to see him in there? Hell Yeah. What's not to like about the Kurt Warner story?

To say that it isn't at least "debatable" is mind boggling to me. I with Peter King on this one.

Peter King - The same guy who said the Cardinals would lose to Carolina, Atlanta , and Eagles.......

If I knew how to post a picture I'd post a picture of my grandaughter (6 monts old) sitting in fromt of a large TV watching the Steelers with a Steelers Jersey on. If the Steelers win my daughter, son in law and granddaughter will be pleased.........

jimmyt

New
I can't give you a name man. I do have a question for ya...why don't all writers see it this way? I'm sure they have at least heard the arguement you presented. Is it that they don't like him..I can't really see that, dude seems really cool, answers all media questions, good in community,christian fellow etc. Maybe, the writers just hate his wife that much that they are punishing him for her being so ANNOYING:)

The title of this thread is make a prediction and offer some smack talk......NOT FILIBUSTER

Holy cow......

So, Tampa is a pretty cool place to live right now... I got to meet Conan O'Brien on Friday, Nice guy! I love him so it was pretty cool. anyway Go warner and Go AZ!

To clarify:

The teams are matched as evenly as I've ever seen in an nfl championship. The steelers don't NEED help from the refs, but they will get it nonetheless. Las Vegas controls the refs, and this year Vegas wants the steelers on top. You'll see. 24-17. The questionable holding calls will begin near the end of the second quarter.

I was under the impression the bookies needed a number that put 50% of the wagers on each side. That way it doesn't matter to them who wins - they get their cut and make their profitt. If everyone goes on one side of the number the bookies lose money if its not covered. I think the 7 points are a good 50-50 money maker for Vegas

Super Bowl Results

Ben - The ultimate escape artist - his ability to get away won that game.

One bad pass by kurt and one outstanding run back lost that game for AZ

One of the best super bowl games

Antonio Holmes was a beast

kurt warner and Larry did not disappoint

The AZ D showed up big but just couldn't finish.

I think the Cardinals can hold their heads High

and Kurt can wait for his HOF call......

Now back to Golf................

Status
Not open for further replies.