Sustaining the line of compression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Kelly at his first participation this weekend in a PGA event - the Ford Championship at Doral - had an interesting experience on the tenth hole.

The head of his driver, a Nike, Sasquatch, completely separated from the shaft and was found 70 yards further away in the fairway. The driving distance still quite interesting - 300 yards.

My simple question for the TGM experts - how did he maintain the line of compression through impact with a head completely detaching from the shaft? ;)

Could it just be that this is a clear confirmation of the laboratory tests done by a group of eminent English scientists behind “Search for the Perfect Swing”. [:p]

quote:Originally posted by birdie_man

Maybe the head flew off after Seperation.....?

Or maybe he woulda hit it 320 if it hadn't.

Who knows.
Birdie_man,

Maybe this, maybe that .........rather spacious enunciations , not quite sure anymore ?

(what's an enunciation???? I'm unLEARNED, mandrin)

MAYBE you shouldn't read so much into my words MANDARIN (orange).

Or MAYBE what you're reading as a lack of confidence is actually me trying to give you a lttle leeway.

You have a decent argument...I still think STLOC is an obviously sound concept though.....regardless of how far that ball flew (and we don't know the exact details of that particular Impact anyway)...

That's where I sit as of now.

(what's an enunciation???? I'm unLEARNED, mandrin)

MAYBE you shouldn't read so much into my words MANDARIN (orange).

Or MAYBE what you're reading as a lack of confidence is actually me trying to give you a lttle leeway.
Birdie_man,

Thanks for being so kind giving me a little leeway. [8D]

In all spheres of live one turns to science for objective answers.
Strangely golfers however are a bit resisting this universal tendency.
I suggest for enlightenment to read “Search for the Perfect Swing”.

You have a decent argument...I still think STLOC is an obviously sound concept though.....regardless of how far that ball flew (and we don't know the exact details of that particular Impact anyway)...

Birdie_man, the first and most important step is taken, still somewhat confident but you have now a little nagging doubt. [8)]

Doubt is the heart and soul of any scientific endeavor and you are on your way - a little voice will keep whispering away. :)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
mandrin...all i know is that my friend is a giant flipper, no real compresion in hardly any of his shots at all. However he still flies the ball past me because he swings over 120.

If he would take some lessons to me i could increase his distance from 290-310 to probably 300-330 most of the time.

you can still hit the ball a long way without sustaining the line of compression if you have enough speed, but the more you sustain the mass + the speed it will go even further.

Jim_0068, your post is yet another interesting confirmation of golfers being a separate subspecies of the human race. That makes golf so interesting. Nothing is quite as you would logically expect it.

Dreaming and wishful thinking take the place of logic thinking, however that perhaps is good in present stressful times for many. Logic ands science don’t have much charm, so cold and inflexible.

quote:Originally posted by mandrin

Birdie_man, the first and most important step is taken, still somewhat confident but you have now a little nagging doubt. [8)]

Doubt is the heart and soul of any scientific endeavor and you are on your way - a little voice will keep whispering away. :)

Yes....

I've wondered about this. I asked a while ago that if I went from a flipper to a masher, how much of any distance gain would be due to increased compression and how much of it could be attributed to decreased loft at impact. Can't remember what they said.

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Mandrin, you have a problem dude.
Brian, yes I have a little problem that is why I asked my question.

Any answer for someone meandering towards understanding? :)

Burner

New
In all spheres of live one turns to science for objective answers.
Strangely golfers however are a bit resisting this universal tendency.
I suggest for enlightenment to read “Search for the Perfect Swing”.
Quite an extraordinary amount of grammatical inexactitudes, and in such a short passage.

Tut, tut old bean. Your lack of a "scientific" understanding of the written word lets you down even more than your specious attempts to denigrate Homer's work.

Burner,

It is all too common for those who don’t quite have it to rely on various ad hominem techniques. I don’t quite mind, as it is all some have as ultimate contribution. [^]

Nevertheless, just in case, anything else to say? Perhaps not, since the question posed initially is likely completely beyond your grasp. So just hang on and who knows one of these days.... :D

Dave Kelly at his first participation this weekend in a PGA event - the Ford Championship at Doral - had an interesting experience on the tenth hole.

The head of his driver, a Nike, Sasquatch, completely separated from the shaft and was found 70 yards further away in the fairway. The driving distance still quite interesting - 300 yards.

My simple question for the TGM experts - how did he maintain the line of compression through impact with a head completely detaching from the shaft? ;)

Could it just be that this is a clear confirmation of the laboratory tests done by a group of eminent English scientists behind “Search for the Perfect Swing”. [:p]

Birdie_man has given you a very plausible answer. The huge amount of force that's placed on the Clubhead during Impact collision can certainly cause the Clubhead to come off.

In fact, the more you think about it, the more unlikely it is going to be that the Clubhead was completely detached from the Clubshaft at Impact. Lets say the Clubhead came off during Release. Then the forces will be such that it will completely miss the ball.

Like you said in your later post, you were assuming that the Clubhead was completely detached at Impact. A slow motion footage will be the ultimate judge. However, the probability of that scenario happening is, effectively zero. What does that mean? Lets say you have a club that's fitted with a loose clubhead on purpose. If you took a 100,000 swings, you would get close to zero swings where the Sweetspot contacts the ball with the Clubshaft completely detached, so forget about the Line of Compression here.

Status
Not open for further replies.