Swinging Left vs. higher VSP

Status
Not open for further replies.
VSP Experts:

At first glance, it would seem that swinging more left would encourage a lower VSP post-impact. I'm picturing a David Toms type through-swing, that exits through or below his left shoulder. This seems to me like a low-VSP result.

But, we are hearing that a VSP that matches your club's lie angle may be more desirable, which would seem like a much higher through-swing look than the typical "swinging left" through swing look.

I hope that I am explaining myself clearly enough. For those VSP experts out there, can you help me balance these two concepts, and let me know where I might be going wrong?

I understand that the VSP is likely measured totally pre-impact, and therefore a player could theoretically have a 62 degree pre-impact VSP with a much lower VSP post-impact. If so, is this likely what happens with a lot of the elite players out there?

Thanks all.

Also...

Also, is Vertical Swing Plane (VSP) measured relative to the target line, or to the Horizontal Swing Plane?

I would imagine that a steep, over the top swing would result in a very steep VSP relative to the target line, and somewhat less so relative to the horizontal plane.

rcw

New
I still would like to see how having a low VSP hurts...Does trackman have any info on this?

The VSP is measured from the ground up to the plane of the motion of the clubhead through impact. It's kind of analogous to the lie angle of the club.

VSP is theoretically independent from the HSP.

You can swing way to the right and have a high or low VSP.

You can swing way to the left and have a high or low VSP.

I think there may be little perception problem with VSP.

Swinging left appears to have a lower VSP than in actuality because we typically view it from the DTL target line viewpoint.

In other words you need to look at VSP from "square on".

This is like the Stack and Tilt pictures that show distorted angles because they are not viewed from "square on".

Also, the only truly important VSP is what the clubhead is doing right at impact. Two feet before and two feet after impact can be miles away as far as Trackman is concerned.

savydan,

So where exactly is "square on" viewed from, if it's not DTL or DTL to the horizontal plane? I understand the issue of parallax and distorting angles; that's why I'm asking what the reference is.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I still would like to see how having a low VSP hurts...Does trackman have any info on this?

My view is a lower VSP makes attack angle matter more to path. Plus, if the VSP isn't near the club's "ideal" you could have scattered off plane vectors.

It would be a motion described as a plane relative to the ground. I don't know if Trackman measures this or it is calculated.

Status
Not open for further replies.