Swinging to the left - is there a better term/description?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcoak

New
Before tumble, etc. swinging to the left was always confusing to me. Even now, if I am understanding it correctly, it still seems to be a term that is ripe for disaster if you do not understand what you are trying to do. Now, swinging left to me, means the clubhead going left and taking the hands body with it. Sort of like the exaggerated Tiger tumble or the Molinari practice swing (from his match w/ TW in the RC).
Is there a better term or description because I think STL would have people and has people, swinging everything left from the top and slicing it more.

To prevent the slice, stay behind the ball and aggressively lower your right shoulder and head. From that position you should try to hit a huge pull into the left foul bleachers.

I know "try to hit a pull" is vague but it works for me.

To prevent the slice, stay behind the ball and aggressively lower your right shoulder and head. From that position you should try to hit a huge pull into the left foul bleachers.

Is that how you ignite the spinal engine and the four horsemen?:p

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

I'm glad you included the "works for me" part.

ZAP

New
You don't have to swing a significant amount left. Just enough to counteract the amount of skew to the right because of the down. . I set up two alignment sticks. One directly at the target and one a couple of yards right since I a lefty. Then I aim over the straight one and swing over the right one. All that equals straight for me.

"Swinging left" was troublesome for me too. I had a tendency to pull the ball anyway and if I tried to pull it more, I would hit bigger pulls or slice it manipulating the clubface. I think I already swung outside in or left too much. So swinging left may be only for those who already swing too far right.

Last edited:
I think it's more for people who are prone to push/hook/chunk and can't get a ball to start straight or left of target to save their life.

I might be wrong, but this is how I always thought of swinging left:

Gotta love Tom "figuring it out" in 1994 with 40 wins, 8 of them majors, under his belt. You can't "hit or miss" your way to that record. IMO.

ej20

New
Despite Watson "figuring" it out,he still has a steep transition followed by a late shallowing.His "tumble" feel just checks the shallowing before impact so that he doesn't get too underplane.

It's almost like a double plane shift downswing.Steep to shallow then steep again.Can work but Tom has never been noted for his ballstriking.Wonderful putter in his prime.

Last edited:
Well, before there were "Seve pars" there were "Watson pars"

In his competitive prime, he obviously putted and wedged it great and hit it miles. But years after he stopped making putts and winning majors, he was by reputation one of the best ballstrikers on the tour.

I think it's more for people who are prone to push/hook/chunk and can't get a ball to start straight or left of target to save their life.

I might be wrong, but this is how I always thought of swinging left:

After reading this thread and watching the Watson video I Googled "Tom Watson golf Secrets" and came across
a thread from this site from 09' where somebody posted the same Watson video and Brian had the following reply:

Most good players need these things when they go bad.

1. Swing More Left

2. re-trace backswing Shoulder Turn, early in the downswing

3. Later axis tilt

4. Manzella 1°-to-1° rule

5. "Yellow Brick Road" sequence

6. The "tumble"

7. The "carry"

Hmmm....

Sounds a lot lot the "Baby Fade" Pattern.

I was just curious when things go bad, would you tweek any or all of this info based on your project 1.68 results
and what you know now?

No stat the measures "scrotum shrivel" on 18 at The Open with a butter knife in his hands.

As a who knows the feeling of the heat of battle more than anyone on this forum, surely you are not referring to Watson as a choker. And Scrotum shrivel is an anatomical fact at 60. :).

Status
Not open for further replies.