Takeaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

In your Do it right video, you talk about using the shoulder, passive right arm and wrist for the takeaway. In TGM, right forearm takeaway is suggested and in the TGM forum on Extensor Action, it mentioned Extensor Action start from impact fix to follow through, the takeaway starts with the right elbow and forearm immediately taking the club up. I found using the right arm and forearm can collect my slight inside takeaway with right elbow somehow pulling the left arm a little bit to the chest. I also found that it will create space for the pitch elbow coming down. Also, in TGM it mention using shoulder takeaway is not good. Could you clear my confusion?

Thanks.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
EDITED POST:
Great Question.

Homer Kelley said that the "shoulder turn takeaway", and it's pivot controlled hands, was technically INFERIOR----however widely used----then the right forearm pickup/hand controlled pivot.

Of course, Homer was right.

In the 0.5 Do It Right I was explaining how to make a 'good' shoulder turn takeaway. Tiger won FOUR maors in a row doing it, and many golfers (what % I don't know) will continue to do it.

However the "RIGHT FOREAM PICKUP" is the MOST SOUND.

If you read my posts on this forum....I have always warned against SLACK...the bane of the shoulder turn takeaway.

In the DO IT RIGHT 0.9 outline (and in the video when it is shot) is a section on the 'right forearm pickup' and it is a significant section.

No Doubt....a sounder procedure.[8)]

Brian,
What is the Do It Right 0.9 outline and is it available? I have your excellent beta videos and saw Yoda last week for a lesson and told him he needed to see them. I think he would approve. I am working hard on finding a way to see you soon. Need ways to trick the wife.

Danny Elkins recently had me change to a right forearm pickup backswing. I've been shooting the best golf of my life the past couple of weeks. I was pushing the club too far outside with my left arm on takeaway, making it a little difficult to get back into a good impact position.

Tball88 or Brian:

If either of you would care to elaborate on what the "right forearm
pick-up" is and/or how to do it, that would be appreciated...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"pick" the club up the TURNED SHOULDER (SWEETSPOT) plane with the right forearm/elbow/bicep.....

....LEAVE the pivot at address...it'll move correctly>>>CONTROLLED by the H A N D S!

Understood...is that kinda what Darren Clarke does?...if not, who
would be a good model that is visible on PGA telecasts everyweek?
..thanks for the reply...

I do not know how to visualize where the sweetspot plane is going up. What I am doing is picking up right away along the forearm plane at address as I visualize the elbow staying on its plane (initially at least) and the forearm goes along its own plane at address. Is this correct?

EdZ

New
The right elbow should stay on its plane, think of the right elbow as a 'pivot point' for the right forearm

I have noticed that the Right Forearm Pickup Takeaway moves up the Turned Shoulder Plane much better, when there is no lateral head motion to the right on the Backswing.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

Ed (and others)...
what I am saying is that THE SWEETSPOT stays on the TURNED SHOULDERSWEETSPOT PLANE the W H O L E swing.

;)

Is that to say the sweetspot, and the top of spine/base of neck stay in the same plane the entire swing? What other point defines the plane you are talking about?

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by EdZ

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Ed (and others)...
what I am saying is that THE SWEETSPOT stays on the TURNED SHOULDERSWEETSPOT PLANE the W H O L E swing.

;)

Is that to say the sweetspot, and the top of spine/base of neck stay in the same plane the entire swing? What other point defines the plane you are talking about?

I don't think Brian said the Sweet S[ot was in the plane of the neck. He said it was in the plane of the turned shouder.

EdZ

New
turned shoulder plane includes the point at the top of the spine/base of neck by definition, it is the center point of the shoulders - your shirt label

Still experiencing the correct move, can anyone suggest any image to perform.

I use right forearm to take away and trying to have #3 trace the plane line, but do not know if it is correctly done. I am fixing the right elbow steady, as Edz suggest as a pivot point, do the right forearm goes up immediately? It is very easy to bring the right forearm to the inside slightly. How do I know #3 is tracing the plane line? Currently, I tried to fix the right elbow, maintaining the same distance of both elbows ane these make the right eblow pointing down and feel very steep.

Ryan,

To determine your Turned Shoulder Plane, you need a video of your swing from down the line. Draw a line from the ball/sweetspot of the clubhead at Impact Fix to your right shoulder at the top of your back stroke. During the back stroke, the sweetspot and PP3 travel up this Turned Shoulder Plane line; during the down stroke, the hands/PP3, the right shoulder, and the sweetspot travel down this line.

In response to a question in your first post: what does the Right Forearm takeaway feel like? I think Chuck Evans has a great description--it feels like your starting your lawnmower. Visually, it looks like Fred Couples' and Lee Trevino's back strokes. However, when you're picking it up, be sure to keep your left arm straight. If you break your left arm, you'll lose radius on the back stroke, and you'll have to compensate for it during the down stroke.

matt

New
quote:Originally posted by galopin

However, when you're picking it up, be sure to keep your left arm straight. If you break your left arm, you'll lose radius on the back stroke, and you'll have to compensate for it during the down stroke.

Keep your left arm straight by applying Extensor Action - pull on your left thumb with your right arm going back up the plane.

Currently, when I draw two lines 1) along the clubshaft at address and 2) also at address, from the sweetspot(middle of the clubhead) to the turned right shoulder:

On the backswing: my clubhead will go along the clubshaft to hip high and then goes up, at the top my hands touch the second line slightly above the right shoulder
On the downswing: my hands will follow the second line but the club will go back along the first line. The clubhead coming from the inside.

I can't imagine going up and back from the second line, it seems coming out to in on the downstroke. Something must be wrong with my procedure or with the drawing?

Status
Not open for further replies.