Tales from the US Open Sectional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I would either play or not play if I was in your shoes Kevin. Otherwise you'll just end up being frustrated that you're not playing to your true ability. My hat goes off to the guy who just get out there and try it, like 2 golves TG. I'm beginning to think that being a club pro stinks.

It doesn't stink if you have a good position.

So many questions for Kevin...
1. How did you drive the golf ball?
2. Did you bring the game you had warming-up to the golf course?
3. What was your one full swing thought throughout the day?
4. How do you think you would have fared if you had made it?
5. "Do you know what nemesis means...;)?"

Good stuff Kevin. I know you're a little disappointed, but those are really good rounds on tough courses in pretty tough conditions.

Like my old college coach used to say to me after I had a disappointing day, "There are worse things than failing.....and one of those is not trying"

I hope you keep trying. Someday, the years will catch you and you will wish you had given it another shot when you still had the game. And it's pretty obvious you still have the game.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
So many questions for Kevin...
1. How did you drive the golf ball?
2. Did you bring the game you had warming-up to the golf course?
3. What was your one full swing thought throughout the day?
4. How do you think you would have fared if you had made it?
5. "Do you know what nemesis means...;)?"

1. Great
2. Yes
3. Turn the left shoulder back and swing the left arm vertical through
4. MC Hammer trunk slammer
5. A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by appropriate agent.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I would either play or not play if I was in your shoes Kevin. Otherwise you'll just end up being frustrated that you're not playing to your true ability. My hat goes off to the guy who just get out there and try it, like 2 golves TG. I'm beginning to think that being a club pro stinks.

Just curious, but by this logic, why do you still play?

1. Great
2. Yes
3. Turn the left shoulder back and swing the left arm vertical through
4. MC Hammer trunk slammer
5. A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by appropriate agent.
Very Nice.

And a tie-break question for all the tea in China...What would BrickTop have said about your game out there?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Very Nice.

And a tie-break question for all the tea in China...What would BrickTop have said about your game out there?

Shits himself when you put him in the ring.

Just for the record, I'm afraid this is sounding like I never prepare or practice. That is most certainly not the case. Just not as much as needed to be sharp enough at all phases of the game to compete with the best.

Shits himself when you put him in the ring.

Just for the record, I'm afraid this is sounding like I never prepare or practice. That is most certainly not the case. Just not as much as needed to be sharp enough at all phases of the game to compete with the best.

Good answer...Very good answer...All the tea in China coming your way...
"D'you take sugar?"

And just to make the record complete, it doesn't sound like you're bemoaning the lack of preparation at all. Interested members asked you questions and you gave honest answers.

You can also be Tour Pro and win 14 majors and 73 times on the PGA Tour in a little more than 15 years and be a seemingly unfulfilled and unhappy person as we are finding out. John Feinstein said the two most unhappy/miserable people he has come across in sports are Tiger and Bobby Knight.

I think Kevin has a great mix of everything- teaching and helping people with their game and competing at a high level. Kevin, I also really appreciate your willingness to share your tournament experiences with us.

Thanks. I thought some people would be interested.

Why don't you try and qualify for the British Open? Seriously, I know it might be 'in season,' as it were, but your members wouldn't mind seeing their boy compete at Lytham, surely?
First place at the British is the Claret Jug and a periwinkle blue caravan ...;)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Why don't you try and qualify for the British Open? Seriously, I know it might be 'in season,' as it were, but your members wouldn't mind seeing their boy compete at Lytham, surely?
First place at the British is the Claret Jug and a periwinkle blue caravan ...;)

I think I should win my own State Open first.....oi

I think I should win my own State Open first.....oi
You don't have to win the bloody thing, but just give her a go, Yank. If not for you, maybe for "your maa"
(We've got e's all over from SteveT, now o's and i's from you and Mike. If this was Wheel of Fortune we'd be bankrupt before the first commercial)

I was not going to chime in but here I go.

First time I ever met Kevin was in a mini tour event played on the shores of lake Erie on a very cold and windy day. I remember him being sick, the kind that makes you shite yourself on a full swing. Did not pay much attention to him or is game really, but recognized him as a very serious and quality player. Got paired with him another time or two and could see he had a very good short game, but was liable to block slice one at any moment. The first time I really paid close attention was at another mini tour event at a decent public track in 40 degrees and 40 mph winds. He dropped and ungodly 64 on us and blew the field clean out of the water. As a matter of convenience we started to travel across the country for some events and became friends and confidants on the swing while sharing a passion for Faldo and heavy metal. That was 13 years ago. Kevin always has been competitive no matter what grass he was on, weather conditions, style of course or who he is paired with. His game has progressed steadily in every facet since the first time I played with him.

This past week, I spent considerable time following players at the Memorial tournament and on Monday I was able to catch the front nine holes of each of his rounds. Even though he and I are friends, he knows how frank and honest I am. I would put his physical game on par with all but the most elite of players on tour. I have seen his short game a bit "tighter", but all in all he just did not go nuts with the putter. Charlie Wi who posted a 65 on Scarlet, did so with 23 putts! Anyone who knows Scarlet understands how preposterous that is.

Both of the courses, which I play somewhat routinely, are extremely long and penal with the standard championship level characteristics- long, false fronts, elevated greens with deep bunkering and no bailouts with the driver. We also have had a very dry spring which made he greens very firm. To say these tracks were demanding is an understatement.

In closing, all I can really say is that Kevin impressed me. That's not easy, as I have been fortunate to spend time with some very good players over the years. He has earned every one of his successes and I wish nothing more for him but continued progress.

You don't have to win the bloody thing, but just give her a go, Yank. If not for you, maybe for "your maa"
(We've got e's all over from SteveT, now o's and i's from you and Mike. If this was Wheel of Fortune we'd be bankrupt before the first commercial)

"never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"

As a matter of convenience we started to travel across the country for some events and became friends and confidants on the swing while sharing a passion for Faldo and heavy metal. That was 13 years ago.

Who's who?

tumblr_lu8dlc03031qddjb4o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.