tee it high to let it fly.... not so much, thoughts from Tour Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
spent the day at the Tour Championship in Atlanta. Great day for golf, crowd was very manageable so really got some close up views of some things. My son almost got hit by Lee Westwood's approach, which went long right on 7, Lee then proceeded to hit a nice little chunk and run and save par.

one thing that really surprised me was how low several of the pros teed their driver. I'm talking the top of the ball was even or even slightly under the top of the driver. Stood right next to Oosty and Fowler and both teed it really low. I was a little surprised by this.

Other observations:

Luke Donald, amazing he's a pro with some of the shots I saw him hit. Phenomenal short game, but man he can spray it around.
Nick Watney, another one who sprays it all over the place, pretty wild hitter.
John Senden, hit's it really nicely, not talked about enough on tour
Lee Westwood, as solid a ball striker as I expected him to be.
Rory, yeah, he's good, but short game is sick. Had a rediculous up and down on 1.

Anyway, it was a great day, 18 was 238 to the flag and into the wind. Probably playing close to 250..

Cool observations, thanks for sharing. About teeing it high, I noticed the same thing at The Memorial this year. A lot of guys teeing down and hitting bullets, but still not everyone.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Just makes you wonder how good he'd hit it if he'd just fix that flip, no...?:)

When you have no idea how to hit a golf ball, the opinion of someone's swing has its limitations, don't you think? I watched Westwood at The Masters and came away thinking the same thing about how good he was.

I'm no golf pro, but here's what I observed with Donald off the tee. He tees the ball way more forward than 95% of the other guys, seem like he has a problem getting over to the left side, hangs back a bit on the right side, hands roll a little too much and hits face pulls left. They are weak pulls too, he's not getting a lot of snap on his shots. Played out of the left rough quite a bit.

Based on what I saw, I'd be shocked if he ever won a major, I just think these long courses are very tough for him. He's much more solid with the irons though.

He might hit it pants if he fixed anything. . . It's not his tee to green that's stopped him winning 6 majors. If he flips I would defo swap him for a year then buy a boat and chill out for the rest of my days :D . I think he tried changing stuff with leadbeater early on and slumped to the bottom of the rankings.

Anyone going tomorrow?

I'm gonna see if my powers of observation are keen enough to see what micro moves Westy and Donald are obviously missing.

What time does the TFP booth open?

not sure, we got there early, around 10:00, so we could catch guys warming up. couple of other observations.

pros don't really work the ball a ton their draws and fades aren't really that noticable.
the idea of not short siding yourself, doesn't apply to pros. I was shocked at how many short side misses I saw. Seems they are so confident in their short games, they are not afraid to fire right at pins, regardless of position.
damn they hit it high.

I've been experimenting with tee height, and it seems, for me anyway, that when I tee the ball with only about a 1/4 of it above the face, I actually hit it a little more boring, little lower, but it flies further and straighter. Maybe I'm hitting it on the way down, but whatever, it is working for the time being.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Nothing wrong with hitting a driver on the way down off of a low tee.

Just costs you 20-25.

But, if you have it to burn, and it makes you make a better pas at it....

Brian,

Couldn't actually tell you if I hit down on it or not. I've never been on a trackman.

Ballflight is just better. Still carries as far, but rolls out a bit more.

dlam

New
The par 3 shots onto the green flys so high and lands so softly that makes it look like they are "pitching"their long and mid irons into the green rather than working it from left to right or right to left like in the old days

My impressions today at the tournament...

Eastlake had was proudly wearing its wife beater today. Two club length wide fairways, a good bit of wind, and pool table top (snooker table top) speed greens made for seeing some shots that we all could relate to. :)

It was highly entertaining following some of the guys not in the hunt. They were bold off the tee, and fired at far more flags (dangerous flags). Sometimes they pulled it off, but most of the time is was a chance to see some creative scrambling.

People lose their minds within 200 yards of Tiger.

I'd be shocked if the average weight of the field was over 165 lbs. (the 2nd reason I'll never be a professional golfer).

How blessed we are to have 3 great tournaments here in GA every year.

Well done Sneds! SEC! SEC! :p

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I was shocked the first time I went to a professional event at how tiny everyone was. Even guys I thought were "beefy" like Kenny Perry, for instance, are down right skinny. Garcia looks like be battles anorexia as do most everyone else.

I was shocked the first time I went to a professional event at how tiny everyone was. Even guys I thought were "beefy" like Kenny Perry, for instance, are down right skinny. Garcia looks like be battles anorexia as do most everyone else.

Yeah, I've noted the same thing before too. I guess it's true what they say about the camera adding 10 lbs. I saw Furyk and it looked like his shirt was on a hanger. Probably why so many think Tiger is "too big". I just shake my head every time they talk about how big Vijay and Ernie are, like they're massive. Well, yeah, when you're comparing them to a field who could blow away in a stiff breeze. No wonder they have trouble putting in the wind...

Status
Not open for further replies.