Thank you letter to Michael Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought MJ's most recent video on ground reaction forces. I am sure that the accomplished golfers here already know this information or have worked it out for themselves. But for me the use of proper footwork to generate power was new and breakthrough. Especially helpful was the discussion on using the feet to "turn the earth". My post to Micahael after one range session follows.

"Just got back from the range. Worked on nothing but the footwork. Started with just pressuring the the lead back and after a while i got it. Nice tight hp turn. Then back pressure on the lead foot and pressuring the back foot forward. Seemed to free things up a bit and helped with not coming out of the pelvis tilt. Now the real challenge, reversing the footwork to start the downswing. Felt so completely wrong and non-intuituve. Moving pressure on the the back foot back just felt like the wrong way to start the hip turn. But after a lot of practice, the pelvis turn was much more powerfull and automatically gave me some axis tilt. Club seemed to come in low and into the back of the ball.
The best thing is it just happened automatically. Just put the mind in the feet and everything just happened. I suspect the sequencing was better too. Moving the pressure back on the back foot at the start of the downswing seemed to restrain the start of the hip turn and hold back the torso turn as well. Ended up with hips square to the target with weight well on the front foot. Again without thinking about it.
Never in all my golf lessons was I told to make these moves. For me absolute breakthrough.

Took a lot of time getting the stance width right too. Noticed if it got too narrow even by an inch or too I got too much axis tilt. Too wide and the hips felt powerless coming through.
I don't know how you figured this all out but it makes the body work so well and I am grateful. Easy on the back too.
I hope you sell tons of these videos."

Recommended.

Drew

Damn, still won't download for me...

Michael is sending a USB drive with it on it, but I want to watch it before going to the range again. :p

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Thank you drew for taking time to acknowledge the work that went into 'Ground Reaction Forces'

Spent a lot of time organizing the content for what I feel is the most comprehensive presentation on ground forces and lower body movement ever done.

Spktho... Check your email, just sent a fresh download to you. The server had some trouble the 1st night as it was crashed from all the initial downloads.

There is soon much good info in this video. It's for anyone with an interest in how the swing works.

The A-Lines are making a big difference in my severely inward rotated knees.

There is soon much good info in this video. It's for anyone with an interest in how the swing works.

The A-Lines are making a big difference in my severely inward rotated knees.

Ordered a pair too Mike. I have really high arches that have sagged with use.

"How the swing works". Never knew how the correct footwork could make so many good things happen automatically. Dariusz must check this out. Also the stuff about how to determine stance width (hint: it ain't got anything to do with shoulder width).

"Turn the earth"

D

FWIW, the reversing of the footwork on the DS is certainly the most challenging. I've been working on it for a while. The guy I go to for training advice (Division 1 Track and Field coach) gave me a great tip. Reverse the grip and make left handed swings, trying to get the same great footwork in the opposite direction. For all I know, MJ may have told you the same thing.

It's tougher than it sounds.

Dariusz J.

Never knew how the correct footwork could make so many good things happen automatically. Dariusz must check this out.

OK, but I knew since a long ago how important ground forces and footwork are. Indeed, a lot can happen automatically thanks to both vertically as well as horizontally oriented forces. Proper stance and certain joint presets govern a lot.

Cheers

OK, but I knew since a long ago how important ground forces and footwork are. Indeed, a lot can happen automatically thanks to both vertically as well as horizontally oriented forces. Proper stance and certain joint presets govern a lot.

Cheers

That is why I thought of you D. Many of the things you have said here suddenly started to make sense.

Drew

Dariusz J.

That is why I thought of you D. Many of the things you have said here suddenly started to make sense.

Drew

This is the sad but understandable part. Hardly anyone believes you if you had no name. The good part is those who believed are 3 years ahead.

Cheers

How is the 3 degrees of bend in the hips lost over the course of the backswing?

A couple ways I can think of that could work are:

1) small amount of posterior pelvic tilt=flatten the lumbar spine a little bit
2) stand up a little bit from the hips

I like #1.

When I get this coordinated the pelvic acceleration/speed goes way according to the golf mtrx app.

Last edited:
I just late-night-still-hopped-up-on-cortisone-shot-for-strep-throat bought this video... Only ten minutes into it and now know ill be up at least another 45minutes.

You guys are the best in the business - by far - and are the only chance us guys who started a bit late have at becoming excellent golfers.

Thanks. Awesome stuff. Can't get enough of it.

Another quick thought: I want a Mike Finney video! I'll Pre-order right now if that's what it takes.

I'll take a Kevin Shields video also.

Are there any out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.