The Art of "Stroke Pattern" Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome job Brian. You coining the term "downshifting" is very big!!!! Now that you've defined it, I can see where the "downshift" is where many swing problems occur. Am I correct in reading in to your posts that you believe that one is naturally inclined to swing on one plane or the other..and you should honor your own natural inclination?

Thanks.

That's what I am wondering too. What justifies trying to teach someone to change from using one plane to another?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
BLOG: The Art of "Stroke Pattern" Design - by Brian Manzella

Design.

Whether it is Golf Course Design, Interior Design, or Fashion Design, most everyone understands what it means to design something.

I looked up the "dictionary" definition preparing this piece, but I'd rather offer one of my own:

Design - Formulating, Conceiving, and Engineering a series of ideas in such a way as to create an entity for a specific purpose.
For example, my new home.

Lisa and I were forced into a home "design" decision after Katrina put 11 feet of water in our 9 foot ceiling home.

We first formulated our current situation. It would cost a couple of hundred thousand dollars to gut, clean, raise, and renovate our 40 year old flooded structure.

We tore it down.

We figured out we would re-build on that lot, and how much money we could spend.

We conceived of a certain look, both in and out, and set out to do it.

We knew we wanted a traditional "Old New Orleans" style structure, and we started drawing plans on paper from ideas we had in our coconuts, and in design magazines.

We took those ideas to an architect to have them turned into a set of blue prints with the engineering required to build it.

It came out pretty much exactly like we wanted.

When I give a lesson, I watch the golfer, and I watch the ball.

I go through a series of things mentally that I do to start my plan.

But after some initial, "archeology" to figure out how this golf swing in front of me got here, I am in the process of designing a Stroke Pattern for THAT golfer.

In the specific case of Plane Angle Shifts, I usually work backward from the plane line vs. path vs. D-Plane, and let some of those imperative lines dictate what shifts occur for those to work together.

But sometimes it is just a decision. A decision based on 27-years of looking at, changing, repairing, building, and designing golf Stroke Patterns.

Sometimes the design is perfect for the golfer. Sometimes it is close enough to perfect for that golfer RIGHT NOW, but it will have to be adjusted later.

Sometimes it is just plain wrong for that particular golfer, and if nothing else, is at the top of the list of things that do not work for that golfer.

That list is often just as important as the "to do" list.

At the end of the day, as I like to say, Golf Swings are more like gardens than buildings.

They need care and tending.

But a good design is KEY to any garden.

As well as any golf Stroke Pattern.

It is quite a different process than force fitting a method, or a pet pattern, on every golfer that walks through the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.