The Haney Project - Tiger Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first saw this video, I thought it was a very funny spoof. When I watch it today, it looks more like an imitation.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFVNJ_SSFo[/media]

We're dancing around some related subjects, and my comments weren't aimed at you per se.

But it's a free country, and I'll say the parallel planes theory is rubbish. A good swing thought for some? Sure. A physical reality? I'd say no.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. FWIW, I think Tiger's problems can be traced back to the spring of 2001. I'd just had satellite TV installed at home, so that I could watch the PGA Tour. That first week, I distinctly recall watching him practicing at one of the early tour stops (Phoenix I think) working on a much flatter plane - the commentators stating he was working on the draw shape required for Augusta. Remember this is when he was going for the Tiger Slam.

Could he ever get his 'old' swing back, even if he wanted to? I doubt it -his body shape has changed a lot since then.

I'm no great fan of Woods, but I was a fan of his old swing (I actually preferred the slightly shorter backswing in the 1999 version). However watching him do those bizarre drills and then hitting those off the planet drives reminded me of Seve in decline. The more he 'worked' on his swing through the week, the worse he hit it.

There is a quote (don't remember who said it) that Nicklaus won his majors 'in spite' of his swing. The same can be argued of Woods in the last few years, who has relied on his short game, putting and course management.

Excellent first post. Welcome :)

Early Tiger

What was wrong with this action? He hit the #$%$ out of it.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz9JA1E4nbk[/media]

before haney took over i never saw tiger do the following on LIVE TV:

shank it
sky his driver
hit two fat 3 woods off the deck from the tee box in the same round

but he finished fouth, not a bad day right? wrong. i think i understand how tiger thinks now, when he doesnt win he is super pissed because he knows he played better than just about everyone but the stupid shots got him. with all that talent he is making it work to some degree, amazing

Soooooo right on, Jim.

My Masters 'rant' was really directed at him more than Phil...although both hit it all over the place. But Tiger was making swings that a PGA Tour golfer, much less the #1 player in the world, and even more less than a guy considered possibly the greatest of all time...should ever make.

I believe I can come up with 20 instructors off the top of my head that could fix him in about 30 minutes.

I think a big part of it is ego. Dumping Haney would kind of be like saying 'Butch, you were right.' Of course he doesn't need to go back to Butch to get back in gear (or even get better than he was with Butch).

In the past I thought Tiger would eventually dump Haney thinking that the game and Jack's record was too important for him to put up with this. But I think with all of his recent actions, he's more concerned with his ego than he is with his swing.

3JACK

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
After he holed out on 18, Jim Nantz said somehow Tiger managed a 69 out of this.......I had to laugh. Sophmoric, I know. But I found it funny.

JJKing

New
Wow that US AM footage looks awesome. Such a dynamic action. What a shame that someone kept telling him the fix for the block is to swing the club flatter. Now he has a violent action that looks foul. I think the owning a golf swing is over-rated in that golf swings seems to break down as often as British cars.

footwedge

i know, it's crazy. he changed because he wanted to "own" his swing, and now he's so much further from his goal than he was then.

Tiger will never own his swing like Hogan or Moe, if he stays with H.H. He pretty much had it in 2000. Sometimes the pursuit of perfection takes a wrong turn and in this case it hit the ditch.

Only Tiger's extreme talent and strong mind keeps him in there in spite of what H.H. has convinced him to change, hope he dumps H.H. and can get back on the right path. Who knows? Tiger did say he was going to re-evaluate. There's always a chance he'll wake up.

Last edited:

ej20

New
Never say never.Tiger is only 32.Hogan didn't own his swing till he was 36.

Tiger won't dump Haney because I suspect they both share a love of hot bikini babes.LOL

footwedge

Never say never.Tiger is only 32.Hogan didn't own his swing till he was 36.

Tiger won't dump Haney because I suspect they both share a love of hot bikini babes.LOL

Yeah, but i said if he stays with H.H. he'll never own his swing. Ben or Moe didn't have H.H. to help them.:eek: Maybe there's a rehab center for
Pro's that were taught by H.H. I think there is one, come to think of it.

Last edited:

ej20

New
I think we give Haney too much credit for Tiger's swing.Tiger probably spends 99% of his time practicing by himself.He is the one digging it out of the dirt,not Hank.

On the other hand,I could see them spending a lot more time on other things not related to golf.LOL

Tiger is a swing junkie (just like most of us!). Likes to work at it. Likes to think of it as many pieces that he has to master. Probably a good fit philisophically with Haney as he is mr. position man - everything that happens is a deliberate action.

lia41985

Still think this is when he played/swung his best:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/md0EBpnTTaU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/md0EBpnTTaU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Status
Not open for further replies.