The Haney Project - Tiger Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

I would understand if you don't want to comment about Tiger's swing, but I would really like to hear your take on the Master's this year.

About the course, leaderboard, Saturday and Sunday drama, Tiger, Phil, Lee, AK, anything!

Just want to see what you thought about it.

Brian and other Manzella Academy instructors have said it before..Tiger CANNOT consistently recover from the Top of his Backswing position, no one is that strong. Left arm flying wedge is too rotated and he gets way too underneath the sweetspot in the downswing.

Brian and other Manzella Academy instructors have said it before..Tiger CANNOT consistently recover from the Top of his Backswing position, no one is that strong. Left arm flying wedge is too rotated and he gets way too underneath the sweetspot in the downswing.

... and on top of that, his grip looks to be weaker than neutral. I've seen video of him hitting a draw with a left wrist that was bowed at the top, and the clubface was still more open than the angle of his left wrist/forearm at the top. I know he hates to miss it left, but swinging like this seems like it would take a whole lot of work and manipulation. Even with his talent, how can he ever get consistently accurate with the driver from that position?

Why is he able to use this current swing quite well with irons but not the driver?

Haney advocates rotating the left forearm down into the side during the downswing to get the club back out "in front" of the golfer. This move throws the clubhead out toward the target line and down towards the ground. It's the downward throw of the clubhead that makes this swing work with irons better than woods.

It makes a golfer take deep divots too. Remember the bacon strips he used to take in 2000 compared to the pork chops he takes now?

It is this forearm rotation move on the downswing that made Tiger pop up his drives on Sunday.

btp

New
If Tiger is copying Hogan to some degree, what do you think about Hogan's three right hand statement. It seems to me that Tiger is so left sided that a little right side might help him throw the club out and not get it stuck so bad.

How do you start with the goal of Hoganizing your swing, and end up with the swing that Tiger currently has?

Haha you must know by now that any tour player with a flat swing automatically becomes the next Hogan or is compared to Hogan e.g. Zach Johnson, Chad Campbell, Anthony Kim. So Tiger must have thought if he flattened his swing he would be more like Hogan

lia41985

Then and now...
1305645.jpg

98394565.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.