The Heavy Hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone hear one of the announcers during the US Open say something about Robert Garrigus not having that much club head speed? They said he had a heavy hit, and really fired his right side like Nicklaus used to do. I'm not sure who it was, I was at my folks for a Father's Day thing, and just had the closed captions on the tv. Sounds like something Johnny Miller would say though. Just made me sigh in sadness. Still talking about this stuff, on network tv no less. Wasn't this debunked years ago here on the forum? Is it just gonna take the old timers dying off to get the new or "real" ball flight laws accepted?

Yea, it was Johnny. He also later on said that one one-thousandth of an inch off with the driver equals 20 yards. I like Johnny a lot as an announcer but he does say some whacky stuff from time to time.

Jim S.

He also referred to Lee Westwood as having a "heavy hit body". I didn't hear the other comment. Sounds like he gets something in his head and goes with it.

I heard the heavy hit comment too......was laughing my head off. Also, every time someone missed a green, it was said that the shot was makeable.....he does run with stuff.

If I was Johnny Miller, I would start every comment with, "When I shot 63 at Oakmont..."

All the bizarre stuff that creeps out of his mouth would sound better if he began with that.

Luke Donald duck hooks it in the water on 18. Johnny says.... "That is not a good long iron shot." I am now certain I am qualified to be an announcer. I guess he went to the John Madden school of announcing. ("If he hadn't been tackled there, he would've gotten a touchdown." or "Here's a guy when he runs, he moves faster.")

Last edited:
Luke Donald duck hooks it in the water on 18. Johnny says.... "That is not a good long iron shot." I am now certain I am qualified to be an announcer. I guess he went to the John Madden school of announcing. ("If he hadn't been tackled there, he would've gotten a touchdown." or "Here's a guy when he runs, he moves faster.")

Ahhh Madden gold!

"Here's a guy who when he puts his contacts in, he can see better."

C'mon guys give him a break. He's on the air LIVE to millions of people. I'm sure it would be extremely difficult. The things he says is probably the same stuff that was said back when he was WINNING on tour.

I will absolutely not give him a break. He's been in broadcasting for over 20 years and he constantly says foolish things. You'd think he'd have learned SOMETHING. There's a reason why so many tour players don't like him. Oh sorry, he's just being "controversial." That's just code for being a prick. And I will definitely not give him a break for saying shit that is a flat out lie. I'm sure he did say dumb stuff to people when he was winning on tour. That's no excuse either. The only reason he became a broadcaster is because he couldn't win anymore.

I never understood the fascination with Johnny the announcer. Yeah, he makes biting comments towards players. I could get Don Rickles on the telecast and make better and even funnier biting comments towards golfers.

Johnny has the same problem I find with TV announcers for other sports as well. They don't understand the concept that this ain't the radio. The VIEWer can actually SEE what's going on unlike the LISTENer who can only HEAR what's going on.

There's just this overwhelming diarrhea of the mouth with TV announcers that is what the directors and producers are usually wanting and meanwhile, it just drives the fans insane. Forget about the 'heavy hit' nonsense for a second...saying that Robert Garrigus doesn't generate a lot of clubhead speed is just absurd.

Personally, I think the analysts should just try to get information from the player's coach and just report what the player and coach are telling them that they are working on with their swing.

Oh yeah....they also show wayyyyy too much putting on TV.

3JACK

I never understood the fascination with Johnny the announcer. Yeah, he makes biting comments towards players. I could get Don Rickles on the telecast and make better and even funnier biting comments towards golfers.

Johnny has the same problem I find with TV announcers for other sports as well. They don't understand the concept that this ain't the radio. The VIEWer can actually SEE what's going on unlike the LISTENer who can only HEAR what's going on.

There's just this overwhelming diarrhea of the mouth with TV announcers that is what the directors and producers are usually wanting and meanwhile, it just drives the fans insane. Forget about the 'heavy hit' nonsense for a second...saying that Robert Garrigus doesn't generate a lot of clubhead speed is just absurd.

Personally, I think the analysts should just try to get information from the player's coach and just report what the player and coach are telling them that they are working on with their swing.

Oh yeah....they also show wayyyyy too much putting on TV.

3JACK

Back in the day CBS golf was the best at NOT doing this.

Slightly OT - I would like to see the "TV Swing Gurus" do swing analysis and provide the results of the shot without knowing the actual result. Would be interesting to see how accurate they would be (my guess would be less than 20% of the time.

Bruce

Slightly OT - I would like to see the "TV Swing Gurus" do swing analysis and provide the results of the shot without knowing the actual result. Would be interesting to see how accurate they would be (my guess would be less than 20% of the time.

Bruce

It would be lucky guesses mostly.

It seemed like they wanted to show us every birdie putt this week, even when the player was 15-20 shots back. They've even stopped saying "just a moment ago" I guess they think we're dumb enough to think these are all live shots.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I think he's the best by far but that's just me. I dont understand anyone who can get all jacked up about a golf announcer saying stuff that might not be true. Who gives a shit? Peter Ousterhuis thinks every single putt ever missed is because the player moved his head.

I will say it sometimes makes my job quite a battle to convince the student that what they heard on TV isnt exactly correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.