The Heavy Hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't like his commentary, never have, never will. Graeme McDowell (the defending US Open champion) "does not have great swings folks, I just want you to know that". Justin Leonard "should have stayed home as far as I'm concerned". "If Ben Hogan saw that swing (Craig Parry) he would puke". No one, as in NO ONE, has the right to insult another publicly in the name of "telling like it is". He is soooo into himself at others expense. And in his swing analyses he blows smoke. The average listener has NO idea what he's saying and he knows it. He was a great player for a short while.

Less is More, especially when it comes to golf broadcasting. Johnny Miller says too much. I don't care if it's controversial or not, he puts forward almost all of his opinions as fact, and that can be a disservice to the golfing viewer. I think the role of the broadcaster should be to enhance the viewing experience, and I don't fee like Johnny Miller does that. Nor do many others, however.

I think he's the best by far but that's just me. I dont understand anyone who can get all jacked up about a golf announcer saying stuff that might not be true. Who gives a shit? Peter Ousterhuis thinks every single putt ever missed is because the player moved his head.

I will say it sometimes makes my job quite a battle to convince the student that what they heard on TV isnt exactly correct.

My problem is how melodramatic they are. Sometimes just let the action tell the story (like down the 18th when the fat lady is singing). Like 3jack said "diarrhea of the mouth". Too much talking, often the wrong stuff.

If you can, treat yourself to a BBC broadcast of The Open.

Reminds me of the story about a guy visiting New England. Goes into general store. Many guys sitting around. No one speaks. Visitor says "You are all very quiet. I thought New Englanders were friendly"

One codger says: "Well friend, we don't usually say anything unless we can improve on the silence"

Drew

While the science of heavy hit has been debunked, it sure "feels" like a reality. When I'm really striking it well, it sure feels "Heavier" than when I'm not. I'm sure there is a better word, but heavy works for me. I guess I could say "compressed." That's a bit sexier.

Garrigus is a bomber. I'll give Johnny a pass on the Heavy Hit, but not knowing he is a bomber is goofy for a guy around the game.

Listen to the sound of a driver, swung short, with a seriously loaded shaft come into contact a ball... and 'heavy hit' sounds like a pretty apt name. Nothing else quite like it.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Listen to the sound of a driver, swung short, with a seriously loaded shaft come into contact a ball... and 'heavy hit' sounds like a pretty apt name. Nothing else quite like it.

You are so far off on that "loaded shaft" thing, that I got indigestion.

The heavy hit is a total lie.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
'Compression', as Brian has said, is really just the minimum amount of spin loft. So a spinny wedge shot has the maximum spin loft, and feels like a glancing blow. A driver typically has the least spin loft(save for putting), but doesn't feel as compressed as, say a 6 iron.

So what is that feeling?

It is a combination of the iron head being delofted enough to remove some dynamic loft and some spin loft, the angle of attack being such that the club doesn't get stuck in the ground(which feels like too much like a slowing effect) yet still strikes the ground so one gets a 'heavier' feeling than hitting off a tee, and a center face strike.

The shaft is kicking forward prior to impact, but when it strikes the ball and ground, it then bows back, which for those analysts still looking at 1960s pics as their model, gives the illusion of a bowed shaft at impact, and a consequent confirmation of their bias of the heavy hit!

'Compression', as Brian has said, is really just the minimum amount of spin loft. So a spinny wedge shot has the maximum spin loft, and feels like a glancing blow. A driver typically has the least spin loft(save for putting), but doesn't feel as compressed as, say a 6 iron.

So what is that feeling?

It is a combination of the iron head being delofted enough to remove some dynamic loft and some spin loft, the angle of attack being such that the club doesn't get stuck in the ground(which feels like too much like a slowing effect) yet still strikes the ground so one gets a 'heavier' feeling than hitting off a tee, and a center face strike.

The shaft is kicking forward prior to impact, but when it strikes the ball and ground, it then bows back, which for those analysts still looking at 1960s pics as their model, gives the illusion of a bowed shaft at impact, and a consequent confirmation of their bias of the heavy hit!

This is a really clear, fantastic explanation of what is actually happening versus what the feel is. Thanks!!

So what is that feeling?

and would a long flat spot not amplify that feeling ?

So what is that feeling?

Yeah! That's what I meant:)

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator

I guess all those RECENT pics and slo mo videos of all the top players with the clubhead leading the shaft before impact are just a figment of my imagination then....I know! I will go back to those photos from the 30's & 40's and look at how bowed and lagged the shaft looks and deem it "the most important picture in golf instruction"

As others have said, the heavy hit doesn't exist. Views change over time with new discovery. Don't keep your head in the sand.

@Jared - I don't even know what you're talking about. lol

I just commented because I played with a guy this weekend who swings the way I described, and I've never heard contact sound quite so... well, heavy. It was pretty cool, really. :)

@Jared - I don't even know what you're talking about. lol

I just commented because I played with a guy this weekend who swings the way I described, and I've never heard contact sound quite so... well, heavy. It was pretty cool, really. :)

I play with a couple of mini-tour guys quite a bit and one of them has that "sound" that we all love. It's funny but the other player usually shoots a stroke or two better every time we play. His impact sounds good (very consistent) but it doesn't have that feeling you get from that deep "thud".

I've been to several PGA Tour events and there have only been a couple that stood out as far as sound. Boo Weekly and John Daly. Don't get me wrong, all of them have a sweet sound at impact. But Boo and Daly had a different sort of "thud" at impact.

I've been told by an older gentleman I play with sometimes,that used to teach golf here back in the 70's, that he got to stand near Hogan on the range at the Colonial Tournament back in the 60's and that the sound of Hogan at impact was almost indescribable. A sound unlike anyone else. Of course legends tend to get expanded over time.....but I wish I could have heard that.

I played in the US Open in 1971 at Merion. I remember being on the practice tee on Tuesday at the same time Jack N was hitting balls. He was at my back with maybe 8 or 10 players inbetween. You could tell everytime he hit it because it made a different sound than the others.

Bruce

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I played in the US Open in 1971 at Merion. I remember being on the practice tee on Tuesday at the same time Jack N was hitting balls. He was at my back with maybe 8 or 10 players inbetween. You could tell everytime he hit it because it made a different sound than the others.

Bruce

I really think it is cool that someone who has experienced this game at the very highest level takes the time to write about it here. Would love to hear some of your stories about how it was back then and how equipment has changed things.

Thanks for sharing.

Blehnhard-Jared's Comment

Jared,
I have had the opportunity to spend some time with Bruce in the past and he can flat out "squash" his ball.:cool: We had a great time sharing ideas and he is a wealth of knowledge! Experience at that high level is always a great way to learn.
Best in golf,
MK

Status
Not open for further replies.