The importance of ground forces in the downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
SteveT, yes, I am very aware GRF's are invisible to the naked eye, unless of course something else makes them visible that can easily be seen on Americans but not Europeans.

S

SteveT

SteveT, yes, I am very aware GRF's are invisible to the naked eye, unless of course something else makes them visible that can easily be seen on Americans but not Europeans.

Force plates will reveal the GRF's and inverse dynamics will explain why it's happened. It's all quite complicated.

The difference I see between Americans and Europeans is that Americans "swing" while Europeans "rotate" ... strange ...:eek:

Dariusz J.

Yes, yes, Dariusz .... but the horizontal and vertical forces are only the components of the Resultant Force. Try explaining the vectorial resolution of GRF's to those who only look at superficial pictures of golfswings and gossip non-stop about videos.

They see pictures .. I see forces ... that's like kindergarten golf versus scientific golf ... ya think ...??!!!!

Yep, I agree, Steve. Tried many times to explain with mediocre success with written words in my English. However, I do not know anyone who wouldn't understand it either while explaining it tete-a-tete or with a good visualization unless it is someone who either do not want to learn or has an agenda.
I am almost sure that knowing how ground forces work in a given motion is a huge thing for making a giant progress in sports, not only in golf.

Cheers

Greg Norman had tremendous GRF yrs ago and was one of the straighest hitters of the tee in the world then he went to Leadbetter and well that was it. Old footage you could see different footwork or action just by watching the right foot -Then came soft spikes and oh boy! One can train grf just like martial arts does all thou slightly different then golfers most people think you just drag the right foot up so they never feel vertical or horizontal pressures. Remember the old golf digest article in the 80's the best ball strikers had more weight on the right side then left

i like what dariusz has to say, about standing on ice and losing friction,,,

same thing if we stand on a spongy material.

but i thought this whole ground force concept is rather intuitive. it has been working on us from the moment we stepped feet on the ground...

footwedge

i like what dariusz has to say, about standing on ice and losing friction,,,

same thing if we stand on a spongy material.

but i thought this whole ground force concept is rather intuitive. it has been working on us from the moment we stepped feet on the ground...

It is, until you start thinking about it.:)

I started a thread on ground reaction forces about a year ago - 'Ground reaction forces / angular momentum' - and sometimes it is not bad to use the search facility to see if information is available. :p In the mathematical analysis I tried to demystify somewhat the ambivalent character of ground reaction forces by showing the relationship with the internal torques generated by the golfer.

In golf there is a very fine line separating genuine knowledge from commercial interests and when instruction stretches the importance of using ground reaction forces some perhaps might wonder if they have missed on some hidden source for power. Well there is not any. The golfer, with his own sweat, creates the ground reaction force. Not much comes for free. :)

dbl

New
Excellent stuff! I missed it the first time through, but seems clear as a bell.

Should we go back to metal spikes?

Welcome back Mandrin

Always nice to read your post even if they are above my comprehension. Please continue to enlighten us.!!!

Hi madarin

I couldn't understand your analysis fully.

Are the GFs only responsible for increasing angular momentum in the wrists/club? Or alternatively, are they in addition to this a reactive force which is dependent on the accumulation of other torques in the body?

Thanks

Excellent stuff! I missed it the first time through, but seems clear as a bell.

Should we go back to metal spikes?

Mandrin answered in the other thread:

I guessed right.

zw6isai0ryoueesz1hqc.gif

"There was no significant difference between the metal and alternative spike shoes for any torque measure (p > 0.05), ..................."

Journal of Sports Science and Medicine (2008) 7, 408-414

Hi madarin

I couldn't understand your analysis fully.

Are the GFs only responsible for increasing angular momentum in the wrists/club? Or alternatively, are they in addition to this a reactive force which is dependent on the accumulation of other torques in the body?

Thanks
wulsy,

A golfer club ensemble is one system, yet composed of various sub systems.
There is hence the overall system angular momentum and the angular momentum of each sub system
The only possible cause for increasing angular momentum is due to action generated by the golfer.
The wrist torque redistributes angular momentum between arms and club but does not generate net angular momentum.

Forces/torques are exerted by one body segment relative to another adjacent one.
Each and every torque, generated by antagonistic muscle groups, has its reaction torque.
An essential part of the golfer club ensemble is mother earth.
It allows the proximal torques to generate motion relative to the anchors (feet) with mother earth.

Oversimplifying -
Proximal torques generate angular momentum.
Intermediate torques generate and redistribute angular momentum.
Peripheral torques only redistribute angular momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.