The latest and greatest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been playing with Ping eye 2's for about 18 years and have decided to look for new irons. I do not keep up with equipment at all what are the best clubs out there?

I'd suggest finding a clubfitter that has the Trackman device. There's one where I live in Atlanta and it costs $150 for the clubfitting using Trackman, but at least I would feel it's well worth it to be sure that the clubs are the best for me.

3JACK

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
Great question. Do we have any final word on the big ugly cloud hanging over perimeter weighted irons? (cloud = that they are tougher to control the clubface with)

I'm currently playing the Callaway X-forged irons -- I don't like the long irons and I've heard similar reviews from others.

David, Perhaps you should upgrade to some Ping Zing 2's? ;)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
David.

If I was starting from scratch with a new set of clubs, I'd fly to Phoenix and spend time with Ping and with , and go from there.

Now, in your case, I think it is much easier, because, well, you have me. ;)

So, I'm thinking PING. And here is the set up:

G10 Driver - Loft and Shaft to be determined on TrackMan
G10 3-wood or 4-wood - same as above
i10- 3 and 4 irons - KB Tour shafts, specs to be determined
S57- 5 through PW - KB's, same as above
Tour W wedges - probably 60° and 54°

I bet I could get a good deal on the Zing's but I might shoot for the early 2000 technology. Ryan are you going to Augusta this year?

Let me know when you are going. I have been anticipating the second round of the Manzella putting challenge where the winners eat for free.

If I was starting from scratch with a new set of clubs, I'd fly to Phoenix and spend time with Ping and with , and go from there.

what abt the 13th club brian? are you an extra wedge guy, or a 5/ 7 wood guy?

I think PING clubs are ugly.

The s-57s are the first model of irons I think are not too ugly to use. In fact I could even see using them (I have been alternating between a set of identically set-up AP-2s and MP-67s this winter and am growing to like the easier to hit AP-2s). Of course, I now own two different TP Mills putters (one a Spaulding TPM 1 and one very close to that in design), so I am admittedly highly Manzella-suggestible.

Brian,

Do you really like the KBS shafts? I haven't hit them yet, I'm a Dynamic Gold guy, have really yet to find steel shafts that perform as well as DG, but I'm always open to suggestions.

3JACK

Question about Fitting for Brian and Manzella Staff instructors.

Guys,

Brian Great site...I LOVE it. I am new to golf and cannot imagine how bad off I would be without it. I have a question about some things I have been reading and studying lately. I have learned a bunch of new terms and ways of fitting that clubmakers like to use and was hoping that you guys could clear it up. What do you think about, Spine alignment,FLO fitting(Flat line oscillation) Frequency and MOI matching clubs..TRUE Length Technology etc..Is this necessary??? I understand that according to Some it really does make a difference, as it makes your set throughout the bag much more consistent. While others say that it is not necessary and the good ole OEM way is just fine. What are your thoughts as it pertains to all golfers,from the beginner(myself) to the pro, to the teaching professional? Does it really make that much of a difference??

Thanks,
VJ

vandal

New
Depends a lot on your skill level. I really like the Mizuno MP-60s. And, I might drop the 3 and maybe 4 iron for one of the Ping hybrids. I also like Ping woods.

Thanks.

One of my buddies who plays mini-tours said he was going to put them in his irons, but I haven't heard back from him in awhile. I'm a high ball hitter and can't stand the Project X, the DG's get pretty good flight for me, but I'm always looking for a better alternative if it's out there.

3JACK

Hi Brian, For what reasons do you think the KB"s are better? i know you didn't like my PX's but during our lesson, they were going right where you told me to hit them. as a matter of fact, so were my driver and fairway woods which are graphite shafts.

anyway its probably not the arrow, its the Indian.

I'm copying the 80-ish year old man I played with, and I'm getting rid of almost all my irons! I'll keep my LW, SW, and PW. This old timers didn't have a single iron, and he built everything he played. Something about that makes me smile :) Oh yeah he could play, too!!!

I'm the guy that once said that he would only play mizuno mp-14's or 29's, and nothing else.... Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.