The Missing Ingredient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
The Golfing Machine is a great book. It has helped my golf game tremendously.

BUT...

There are quite a few people who know the book chapter and verse and...they can't play! Not even a little bit. They have this knowledge that should be the be all end all and...they are lost.

Why?

What is missing?

For a good number of people, what's missing is a good AI who can accurately diagnose the problem and prescribe a good solution. It's hard to monitor what you do from feel alone. And even with videos, most can't pick out what is the cause versus the effect.

BUT...

There are quite a few people who know the book chapter and verse and...they can't play! Not even a little bit. They have this knowledge that should be the be all end all and...they are lost.

Why?

What is missing?

Baseline talent levels, time to play (in order to play well, most people have to play a fair amount), etc., etc. There's a big difference between knowledge and the ability to apply that knowledge. I'm sure there are great players who aren't necessarily good teachers, so why shouldn't the opposite be true? There's a saying that goes, "those who can, do; those who can't, teach". Now, most people aren't going to pay for instruction from a person that can't break 90. I wouldn't. But they don't have to be a plus-4 handicap either, do they?

BUT...

Why?

What is missing?

This is a really good argument for the statement that....'golf is 90% mental'.:D :D :D

It could be that there are just too many choices. 4 Billion? Chose a pattern? Whew!

It could be that the book forces you to go from here to there and back again so many times that there is no time for the physical mastery.

It also could be that some folks just love the analytical so much they have become paralytical.:eek:

Talent?

Not everyone is built to be a scratch golfer but everyone thinks with a better swing will you get there. Seems like every year there is a top ten ball striker on tour that loses his tour card. Look at Elkington this year for proof. There is such a fine difference between 68 and 74.

Last edited:
lack of understanding about movements of the human body and the most efficient ways of going about attaining those movements during a golf swing? Too much focus on the club and not enough on the body. That would be my guess

Last edited:
They are golf nerds that like to pick fights on internet forums, so my guess is that they suck at golf because they suck at life.

haha, there is not much funnier than a pretentious golf nerd talking it up on the driving range like his knowledge is so vast that his gives Tiger two strokes a side and then he proceeds to top a ball with Charles Barkley's swing. And wow is it common.

Some people have really bad awareness of what their body is doing. That, and some people just repeat what they've heard/read like a parrott but don't actually know what they are saying really means, jsut a surface knowledge.

Last edited:
Although some of them are living in such an alternate reality that nothing can phase them. It's as if through their 'golf nerd colored' glasses their 214 yard skanked heel slice is a 350 yard bomb with a 5 yard draw.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Kind of like why do electricians hate electrical engineers?

Because electricians know how stuff works day to day. EE's have a lot of theory, but aren't "in the trenches" enough to see how it works.

As with most things in life, what looks good on paper and in textbooks, ain't exactly how it will work in the real world. Anyone with a business degree or education degree can tell you that, I'm assuming the same for a "GSEB".

I don't want to knock TGM, cause I love it and think it's cool, but.......there has to be a lil' electrician in you to make it work.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
The truth

If you really think about it they dont really want to learn, they see the sport of debating golf more fun.

Eg. Tongzilla was hitting it really well after his lesson with Brian, but no no no, because "someone" didn't say it its not the way to go so then go back to the kool-aid. So really outcome is not the goal its more game playing because they are bored. I tell you what to the tour pro's credit at least they play as in 3F (now I sound like a brown shorts) rather than practice baloney mixed up x classifacation patterns. I now several AI's also that just play games into way too man differences and yet they cant even master the sameness'.

That is where this new breed of TGM switters and hingers have evolved from- a bunch of idiots who miss the basic simple chapter 2 principles in search of miracle magic variations 'to reinvent the wheel' and massage their ego's that they arer the only real guy's that know the golfing machine. Ha give me a break:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Real Answer...as usual ;)

Boy I have been waiting to answer this one...

"Why would someone who knew The Golfing Machine chapter and verse, not be able to play a lick--or hit it a lick?"

Easy.

The information in The Golfing Machine would not automatically produce a golfer able to able to play a lick--or hit it a lick.

Obviously.

It is NOT a how-to book. In fact, it is anything but.

This raises two other questions, though.

#1 - Does knowing The Golfing Machine chapter and verse, assure that person of being able to teach golf a lick.

Easy.

It is NOT a how-to TEACH book either.

#2 - Is there information that IF YOU KNEW IT, would assure you of being able to play a lick--or hit it a lick?

I think so.

"Well Brian, what would that information be?"

A really good, super basic, HOW-TO guide. Including ONLY what you REALLY NEED and nothing else.

So simple that a 5th grader could learn from it.

:)

Some good and interesting answers.

It is NOT a how-to book. In fact, it is anything but.

I am always amazed by those who continue to approach TGM as this,even after many have said otherwise...

It is NOT a how-to TEACH book either.

Now that is something that seems lost at times on many...JMHO....

I am not sure about your last statement Brian, knowing and executing can be two different worlds and a universe apart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.