The Old Ball Flight Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post. I'm a PGA Certified Instructor and have been a pro for nearly 20 years. I really like most of what I have heard from Brian in print in video, having recently discovered him. I'm looking forward to contributing to the forum.

To kick off my participation, I'd like to address the issue of "new" vs. "old" ball flight laws. This is NOT a dig at Brian so please don't take it that way. I'm sure that Brian, the truth-seeker that he is, would appreciate this contribution. O.K., so before I turned pro, in 1990, I attended The San Diego Golf Academy, and one of the books that we studied was the 1968 seminal golf research book, "The Search For The Perfect Swing". The book clearly proved that the ball starts MUCH closer to the clubface orientation than the clubhead path. Any teaching pro who has not studied this book has not truly completed his or her training. It's that important. This book was required reading for prospective PGA members and was included with my materials when I entered the PGA Apprentice Program in 1992. Sadly, It is not included now. Anyway, there is no excuse for any teaching pro to have not read this book, and therefore, no excuse for not understanding what actually determines the ball's starting direction.

Now, I've heard criticism of Dr. Gary Wiren as a purveyor of "path determines start line", but my copy of the "PGA Instruction Manual", written by Wiren, copyright 1990 clearly states that the clubface is much more responsible for the starting direction than the path. A few quotes from the book, "Altough the path of the swing does influence the ball's starting direction, it is of lesser influence than the face." He goes on to correctly point out that the relationship is affected by clubhead speed. So maybe Gary had it wrong in an earlier book, but he had it correct since at least 1990. That's 20 years ago, WAY before TrackMan. And 1968 is 42 years ago.

Now really, was there really any pros out there who didn't realize that when you open the face of your wedge on a flop shot, that the ball goes where the clubface was pointing at impact, not the path? Didn't we all explain in the bunker that you need to swing to the left after opening the face. Look, like Brian, I know that too many guys that teach are not well-studied, and many just plain stink, but as far as the path/face and what determines start line, the science has been around for a long time, and frankly, it was pretty obvious. Fredrick Tuxen/TrackMan did not "discover" this. Is is not new information. Harry Truman said, "The only thing new in the world is the history you don't know".

Veering in a different direction, a real problem with the ball flight laws is the assertion that a more descending angle of attack creates more backspin. Wiren said so and so did Homer Kelley. Tuxen has proven that so long as the other 4 impact collision conditions (ball flight laws) remain the same, notably impact location on the clubface, then spin rate stays the same, but launch angle is reduced. Frankly, I proved this, to myself anyway, through experimentation, nearly 20 years ago. I can see the confusion, though. With a descending attack angle, you are more likely to impact the sweet spot, which will produce more backspin than a "thin" impact, low on the face, as the result of a too "sweeping" attack angle. With irons, at least.

That's all for now.:)

Last edited:

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
The buck stops here

Look, like Brian, I know that too many guys that teach are not well-studied, and many just plain stink, but as far as the path/face and what determines start line, the science has been around for a long time, and frankly, it was pretty obvious. Fredrick Tuxen/TrackMan did not "discover" this. Is is not new information. Harry Truman said, "The only thing new in the world is the history you don't know".

Brian never made such a claim.

As I understand it, Brian discussed it as Trackman being a tool that gave a very good way to objectively measure and confirm a "ball flight law".

Welcome to the forum Todd...As for the ball flight laws it is well documented here that the d plane has been "known" for a long time by the scientific community but very very few teaching professionals were aware of it. "The ball starts on the path of the club and curves toward the face" was standard amongst pga pros. Nobody is saying Fredrick Tuxen discovered the new ball flight laws; he just made a tool to prove it.

Brian never made such a claim.

I never said that he did. But the notion is out there. Fredrick Tuxen himself seems to be saying as much. Fredrick is contributing much to the instruction/clubfitting community. But again, face more responsible for start line is old news.

I had a lesson (albeit not in this country) and the pro didnt know the correct ball flight laws. Ive read in other forums where members recite the incorrect laws. It seems that alot of people have got it wrong and that the correct ball flight laws are not common knowledge. I have a coworker who took a lesson at Pebble Beach, and the head pro there handed out a binder to him with some basic fundamentals of the swing.. In the binder were the incorrect ball flight laws... I think that pro is still there, I wonder if he has corrected the errors in his binder.

greenfree

Banned
I never said that he did. But the notion is out there. Fredrick Tuxen himself seems to be saying as much. Fredrick is contributing much to the instruction/clubfitting community. But again, face more responsible for start line is old news.

It may be old news but hardly any PGA accredited teachers were teaching the correct ball flight laws even 5 years ago.

Jack Nicklaus didn't even have it right when he said aim the face at the target and open/close your stance for fade/draw. He didn't apply that in his own swing, even as great as he was he couldn't make that work.

Brian never took credit for discovering the new flight laws or trackman but he deserves credit for standing on a hill and shouting out "wake up people here's the truth" Someone's got to, why didn't you? You knew but kept silent till now?

Ball Spin

Todd,
Enjoyed your post - nice review/clarification of the history. I think your comment on the descending blow and affect on ball spin - has needed areas of elaboration but your point is taken that if all the parameters were to remain the same except for the angle of attack - that the spin would remain the same and the trajectory would be lower.

I never said that he did. But the notion is out there.

What do you want him to do about it? He's not saying he did, but others thinking he did is THEIR misquoting and misunderstanding...not Brian's.

Fredrick Tuxen himself seems to be saying as much.

No, he's not.

Not even close.

Those who misinterpret it that way are the ones at fault...not Tuxen or Brian.

But again, face more responsible for start line is old news.

And Brian has said as much. But the majority of PGA instructors keep going with the 'old ball flight laws.'

Homer Kelley said that the face was responsible for the initial direction of the ball. He WROTE his book The Golfing Machine back in 1941 and then published it in 1969.

We know it's old news...yet the PGA continues to ignore it. Most of Brian's thoughts are typed on the internet. So if somebody can actually READ his thoughts and still misinterpret them, that's their problem and their fault IMO.

3JACK

Look, like Brian, I know that too many guys that teach are not well-studied, and many just plain stink, but as far as the path/face and what determines start line, the science has been around for a long time, and frankly, it was pretty obvious. Fredrick Tuxen/TrackMan did not "discover" this. Is is not new information. Harry Truman said, "The only thing new in the world is the history you don't know".

You summed it up perfectly.

But then again, so did Brian here.

You're new, so I ain't mad at ya :D. And you make some great points too. Wiren sorta-kinda-inaway had it, but you can't argue that the overwhelming majority of guys thought that path determined starting line. How many times have you seen videos/articles explaining how to shape shots by saying "aim the face at your target and your path where you want it to start"?

Isn't the biggest factor in creating spin, in Spin Loft, or the difference between dynamic loft and angle of attack?

So, if you hit more down on the ball, but maintain the same loft, you will create more spin.

Yes, the way I understand gear effect is that is created only with the convex curvature of a club face, either vertical or horizontal. Iron faces are not curved, so how can they have a gear effect?

It's not old news to the teaching pros, just to the scientific community....I hope your not claiming that a lot of the teaching pros already knew this?

Yeah, lots did, including myself. Like I said, there is no excuse to have not known, since the science was/is contained in the most important golf research book ever written. But sure, I'd say the majority had it wrong, claiming path determines start line. But even those guys, if you asked them, knew that, say, on a short pitch, that the ball would depart nearly 100%where the clubface was orientated at impact, if different from the path. So they understood the principle. But many forgot that the same principle applied to full swings, only the clubface dropped to as much as 80% responsible for start line, depending on clubhead velocity.

Yes, the way I understand gear effect is that is created only with the convex curvature of a club face, either vertical or horizontal. Iron faces are not curved, so how can they have a gear effect?

That's not why. With woods, the center of gravity of the clubhead is well "behind" the clubface. This increases the vertical gear effect on thin impacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.