The Open - place your bets please

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Duval is the defending champion on this course.. He also hit the ball really well last week including 31 of 36 greens in regulation .. He just didn't putt well..
Would be something if he could win this week! But back to reality my money is on Phil.. Got a good feeling

He has won only two PGA tour events and they were not at the most glamorous tour stops. At some point you have to look at the mental side, his game has been sharp enough to get it done in a major for a WHILE now.

Hello? There is land on the other side of the pond you know? Lee played most of his career on the European tour. He has 22 wins there and 11 other international wins. Hardly the stats someone would have who can't close the deal.

Hello? There is land on the other side of the pond you know? Lee played most of his career on the European tour. He has 22 wins there and 11 other international wins. Hardly the stats someone would have who can't close the deal.

The perception in America, fairly or not, is that he racks up points finishing in the top 5-10 (sometimes through the back door) and his wins are tournaments in South Africa and Thailand with small fields or virtually no top players in the field. It's a perception that has built up over the past few years, I believe he attained the number 1 ranking by beating a 12 player field in South Africa and another time got to number 1 by finishing 23rd or something. I believe that this reputation would be different if one or two of those many major close calls with missed putts down the stretch were major wins with drained putts to take control.

Also, yes I stayed up all night to see the beginning of the coverage.

I thought u guys meant next year's U.S. open....didn't realize you guys mean the British open...
[Begin old world arrogance] Only THE OPEN can be called THE OPEN. There is no such thing as The British Open - it is just THE OPEN[End old world arrogance]

How many drivers did Tiger have to hit today? If Tiger doesn't have to hit driver on most holes I think he probably walks away with the tourny.

Would love to see snedeker go on to win this, he seems like a really nice down to earth person. Tiger just not getting it going after a bright start to the round.

Loved it!!!!!! Tiger hits his tee shot at 18 and an idiot yells "Get in the hole", announcer says, "Oh shut up"

I thought u guys meant next year's U.S. open....didn't realize you guBys mean the British open...

No need for old world arrogance. The simple fact is that "The Open Championship" is NOT a national championship. It is not designed to crown the best 'British' golfer but the best golfer (period, or full stop, depending on your location). It is a tournament open to the world's best golfers (if they can qualify) played on some of the oldest and best courses in the world.

No need for old world arrogance. The simple fact is that "The Open Championship" is NOT a national championship. It is not designed to crown the best 'British' golfer but the best golfer (period, or full stop, depending on your location). It is a tournament open to the world's best golfers (if they can qualify) played on some of the oldest and best courses in the world.

That also sounds very much like the U.S Open. For the purist, or even someone on the periphery of "purism," both tournaments are surely superior to anything else out there, incl. the Masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.