The XYZ axes, and what contributes the most to clubhead speed (now w/p5 VIDEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Hogan making that move? Is it his way to close his relatively open face or is it setting up another mechanical move key to his swing?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Why is Hogan making that move? Is it his way to close his relatively open face or is it setting up another mechanical move key to his swing?

1. His laying it off helps him square it up —ala Sasho's research.

2. His down cocking adds angle to release.

3. His reverse-twisting helps him delay his twisting that he is OBVIOUSLY picking up speed with.

Dariusz J.

Why is Hogan making that move?

Greg, 5L, pages 100-101. He explains it very well.

The best part is that it is a very naturally occuring phenomenon. Supination of the lead forearm goes in pair with both ulnar deviation and palmar flexion. Gravity helps to evoke and proceed that motion.

Cheers

1. His laying it off helps him square it up —ala Sasho's research.

2. His down cocking adds angle to release.

3. His reverse-twisting helps him delay his twisting that he is OBVIOUSLY picking up speed with.

1. I think this is the key move in a good golf swing, one I had previously thought could not be taught but I was wrong.

2. I have not heard the term angle for release but I think conceptually I understand what you are saying.

3. Whey you say delay twisting, or we talking about the body movement or the clubface?

Thx

Greg, 5L, pages 100-101. He explains it very well.

The best part is that it is a very naturally occuring phenomenon. Supination of the lead forearm goes in pair with both ulnar deviation and palmar flexion. Gravity helps to evoke and proceed that motion.

Cheers

getting the book out, hopefully my paperback is the same relative pages.

leon

New
Isn't a lot of this just down to biomechanics and the fact that we are using a coordinate system that is fixed to the club, and hence moving in space, rather than fixed to the body.

Simple thought experiment - arms parallel to ground in downswing, make the required arm & body motions to get "pure" alpha, beta or gamma motion of the club. Now move to shaft parallel to ground, or even nearer impact and make the same (or as close as you can) motions. Betting the club moves differently.

Much as the coordinate system that has been selected tells us so much about what is happening to the club (which is ultimately of greatest importance for the science) it doesn't make it so ready to understand how.

Well that's my take on it anyway, until Brian tells me how wrong I am :)

Good question leon. Since the ENSO cameras are most likely mounted on earthly mounts, then they are reading angles, then computing where the hypothetical vertex would be. Just a guess. It must be incredibly complex, to be able to do this. What baffles me is that the center vertex of each of each axis is moving in 3D space at the same time, on humans anyway. I still contend that the degrees per seconds provided are a total of several actions combined and it gets confusing, for me to come to useful conclusions. I would like to know more also. I would also like to thank ENSO, and Brian for what they are providing us with.

dbl

New
Leon and BB, fair questions and observations. I already thought to ask about the coordinate system, but figured it would be in ENSO literature and if I'm too lazy too look i up, then it ain't so important to me. Overall I prefer so far the beta, gamma, alpha references. But...I think the work Brian is doing to separate out the joints movement independent of the body movement is the 'sexy' stuff that shows what to do.

lia41985

Just to toss this out there
How does the torsional (rotational) and the longitudinal (bending) -stiffness effect the impact condition ?
The alignment the clubface assumes at impact is significantly influenced by both the material properties and geometry of the shaft, so I would think that the XYZ could be greatly effected by shafts... probably why getting fitted properly using trackman or other top devices could make big difference in impact condition
Bueller?

hp12c

New
Any ideas about how offset clubs would be affected by the Gamma...seems like there may be a difference.
And speaking of Ben Hogan, he customized his irons by bending the lie angle around 90* then bending the hosel back to his flat lie angle, basically making them closer to center-shafted...the CoG got much closer to the shaft. Funny how no clubs have ever been made like his...maybe Jim Flood's Power Pod driver.
Hi Bill,

Ive read this thread quite a few time and this caught my eye today. Have you bent clubs 90 deegress and then bent the hosel to the lie angle for that club?

Status
Not open for further replies.