Tiger Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone really believe that Luke Donald is really the best player in the world? Who wants Luke over the next 10 years? I'll take Tiger. Majorless Luke has 10 stroke play wins on the PGA and European tours in his career and Tiger hasn't played in any of them. Next great things Rory misses 3 straight cuts, and Rickie goes for 84 today! Did Tiger or Jack ever even miss 2 straight cuts? Did a young Tiger or Jack ever shoot 80+ while playing with the top ranked players when they were 23? You don't have to like him, but he is still the best.

Exactly. Rory turned pro what 5 years ago? He's missed 20 or so cuts. Woods has missed 8 in 16 years. If we mention any other player right now, take a deep breath before saying TW.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Tiger putted very well. He also hit his driver only slightly less than he normally does. IMO, his swing looked a lot more fluid this week.

Tiger putted very well. He also hit his driver only slightly less than he normally does. IMO, his swing looked a lot more fluid this week.

Jared - is that true? I swear I saw him play the entire backside and didn't see a single driver. Probably saw 5 hours of coverage the first 3 days and remember very few drivers off the tee. Could be wrong.

ej20

New
Good to see Tiger at his best but disappointed to see Fowler fall apart in the presence of greatness.He could be forgiven if he shot a 75 but an 84 is the worst round by anyone in the tournament including those that missed the cut.

Fowler has always had an unorthodox swing and I am sure the critics will be looking at that as a possible explanation.I wonder if it's the swing or his head.He hit just 28% GIR.That is 15 handicapper stuff.

Good to see Tiger at his best but disappointed to see Fowler fall apart in the presence of greatness.He could be forgiven if he shot a 75 but an 84 is the worst round by anyone in the tournament including those that missed the cut.

Fowler has always had an unorthodox swing and I am sure the critics will be looking at that as a possible explanation.I wonder if it's the swing or his head.He hit just 28% GIR.That is 15 handicapper stuff.

I tell you what happened...I picked him in my "1 and done" pool!

Maybe Foley is the reason he played so well..... but how can anyone ignore the use of irons, hybrids, and fairway woods off the tee? Good strategy or a cover-up for a balky driver.

Oh, I think you're right. On many holes at Muirfield Village it's smart not to hit driver, especially
when you can hit 5 wood or 3 wood 280+ and then hit 9 or 8 iron 165+.

Like I said in my previous post, Tiger hit Driver at 15, a hole where he HAD to have at least birdie
and stepped up and killed a driver right down the middle and ended up making a tap in birdie and
that set up everything else on the last three holes.

Don't forget his birdie hat trick on the front nine either. That got him in the mix in the first place.
Great shot on 16 for sure (Tiger magic), but a lot of really good play preceded it and his birdie on
18 sealed it.

Dariusz J.

I would like to congratulate to Woods and Foley for having the second win. As you may remember, I predicted Woods is not capable to win anything in 2012 (maybe 1 casual tournament); now already he has two wins and, additionally, he advanced to ranked 2nd in overall total numbers of wins on tour. I was simply wrong and the only thing fair is to admit it.
If he's able to be in the top 10 in the US Open (assuming this would be played on a really penal course as they say) -- I will have to revise my attitude towards Woods/Foley team.
The flop shot on the 16th was a masterpiece. I've enjoyed Sabbatini's shot on one of par-3s with a very tough pin location near the water as well.

Cheers

If you have to hole absurd lucky shots to win a tournament then you are good, but not great. How anyone can regard that pitch-in at 16 as anything other than hit and hope is beyond me. It was a fluke, but a fluke that only a highly skilled golf with a particular freaky mindset could pull off. OK, he is playing fairly well again, but not much better than Spencer Levin. Is he great? What about that other golfing great, yes Rory Sabatini. Tiger was marginally better than those two and won because of a lucky shot which set him up mentally an brought Sabatini down. Woods is mentally strong again perhaps, but he's not really a great golfer again. JMHO.

If you have to hole absurd lucky shots to win a tournament then you are good, but not great. How anyone can regard that pitch-in at 16 as anything other than hit and hope is beyond me. It was a fluke, but a fluke that only a highly skilled golf with a particular freaky mindset could pull off. OK, he is playing fairly well again, but not much better than Spencer Levin. Is he great? What about that other golfing great, yes Rory Sabatini. Tiger was marginally better than those two and won because of a lucky shot which set him up mentally an brought Sabatini down. Woods is mentally strong again perhaps, but he's not really a great golfer again. JMHO.

I know I'm getting older and my eyes aren't what they were, but I think I just read Tiger Woods is not a great player. Nah, can't be...

Does anyone really believe that Luke Donald is really the best player in the world? Who wants Luke over the next 10 years? I'll take Tiger. Majorless Luke has 10 stroke play wins on the PGA and European tours in his career and Tiger hasn't played in any of them. Next great things Rory misses 3 straight cuts, and Rickie goes for 84 today! Did Tiger or Jack ever even miss 2 straight cuts? Did a young Tiger or Jack ever shoot 80+ while playing with the top ranked players when they were 23? You don't have to like him, but he is still the best.

When did they turn the #1 ranking into a lifetime achievement award? Shouldn't Jack still be the #1 ranked player, not Tiger? C'mon...

Donald is #1 because he's played the best over the past two years. And yes, he's played a hellavu lot better than the Eldrick. 5 wins and 2 money titles trumps anything Tdub has done in the last 24 months... my apologies to the folks at the Chevron. And he's won the same amount of majors Eldrick has since 2009.

The #1 ranking is about what have you done for me lately, is it really a mystery why Tiger isn't #1?

He may well get it back over the next handful of tournaments, but let's not rewrite the past 3 years and pretend him not having it now is some huge injustice because of what he did the last decade.

I know I'm getting older and my eyes aren't what they were, but I think I just read Tiger Woods is not a great player. Nah, can't be...

Let me restore your eyesight back to normal with some reality. Here's my response to wulsy...

Tiger got lucky on Sunday??

Tiger had 7 birdies and shot 67. (Low round of the day with 3 others)

Sabbatini had 3 birdies and shot 72.

Levin had 2 birdies and shot 75.

I don't think absurd luck had anything to do with it. And oh yeah, that was Tiger's 73rd career victory,
Sabbatini has 6 and Levin has 0. Tiger is a great golfer, they are not. Here's further proof...

Majors:

Sabbatini has played in 40 majors missed the cut in 22 and one top ten.

Levin has played in 4 majors missed the cut in 2, best finish PGA T26.

Tiger has won 14 with 21 other top tens (35 total) including second 6 times, third 3 times, fourth 5 times.

Tiger has been a great golfer and still is today. If you don't think so, that humble opinion isn't paying attention.

When did they turn the #1 ranking into a lifetime achievement award? Shouldn't Jack still be the #1 ranked player, not Tiger? C'mon...

Donald is #1 because he's played the best over the past two years. And yes, he's played a hellavu lot better than the Eldrick. 5 wins and 2 money titles trumps anything Tdub has done in the last 24 months... my apologies to the folks at the Chevron. And he's won the same amount of majors Eldrick has since 2009.

The #1 ranking is about what have you done for me lately, is it really a mystery why Tiger isn't #1?

He may well get it back over the next handful of tournaments, but let's not rewrite the past 3 years and pretend him not having it now is some huge injustice because of what he did the last decade.

Thank you for bringing some common sense to the discussion. I thought I was on another site for a minute.

Let me restore your eyesight back to normal with some reality. Here's my response to wulsy...

I don't think absurd luck had anything to do with it. And oh yeah, that was Tiger's 73rd career victory,
Sabbatini has 6 and Levin has 0. Tiger is a great golfer, they are not. Here's further proof...

Majors:

Tiger has won 14 with 21 other top tens (35 total) including second 6 times, third 3 times, fourth 5 times.

Tiger has been a great golfer and still is today. If you don't think so, that humble opinion isn't paying attention.

See here's what I don't get...right there...you make complete sense till you start comparing the careers of Rory S. And Spencer Levin to TIGER Frickin WOODS...I mean really? What is your point? It has NOTHING to do with whether or not Tiger won yesterday. The need to keep reciting Tigers Hall of Fame accomplishments to make a simple point reeks of fanboyism and the real point gets lost. JMO.

Most fun I've had watching golf in a long time. Keep in mind he very likely would have still won the tournament with par on 16.

Majors:

My comment was directed at Wulsy's post so why are you taking the liberty of restoring my eyesight?

Status
Not open for further replies.