Tiger Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well haters ;), If he continues on the pace he set starting at Bay Hill, a win every 10 weeks or so ain't exactly a bad pace. I think this win is impressive because of the fact that he had to chase down the leaders. Tiger's always been a better front runner than a come from behind type. I don't have any facts to support that, it's just the impression I have. He knew had to make birdies and limit big mistakes and he did that when he had to. It seems like with the roars from the crowd Sabbatini and Levin knew they had to go and just tried to force things too much and made mistakes trying to catch back up. Well, Sabbatini anyways. I think Levin had already done the damage by then.

I thought Levin composed himself much better then he has in the past, but still made some serious mental errors. Like trying to hit the 5 iron out of the fairway bunker seemed like a poor choice. I wonder what Jack said to him as he was walking off 18. Levin looked like he wanted to walk right past, but Jack stopped him and the only part I could make out was "That's just the way it goes..."

Nice try. Just because the top 10 wasn't "stacked" doesn't mean the competition wasn't there. The top 10 that you seem to like so well finished:

Bubba Watson = MC
Ernie Els = +9
Brian Davis = +3
Ryan Moore = +4
Bud Cauley = +7
Kevin Na = MC
Johnson Wagner = +4

This doesn't even mention some of the words greats like Luke Donald, Phil, Rory M, etc.

Face it, the field was stacked and Tiger won it.

Please re-read my post. I said the win at BH was against a better contention of players. Meaning the players in contention were better then than yesterday. You don't agree?

It also means that to win the event, you have to play better than the guys in contention. If the guys in contention are used to winning and/or are major champions, would that not be a tougher get than over taking a guy(s) who has yet to collect a single trophy?

When Rock won in the dessert, was it not more impressive because he did it while Tiger was standing next to him? Or would it have been equally impressive if Levin was standing next to him?

I'm a little surprised at the efforts some folks will go to dismiss a Tiger win. It's not like this was the Quad Cities open. He won the memorial at Muirfield Village. It's been a top tournament with a strong field for a very long time. There were TONS of great players in the field on Thursday morning, and the fact that many of them didn't finish in the top 10, doesn't mean Tiger didn't beat them – it means he beat them a lot worse than he beat those that finished in the top 10.

And he won it by coming from behind and shooting 67 on the last day.

He led the field in Greens in Regulation.

He hit 13/14 fairways on Sunday (he hit Driver 3 times).

People can argue all the like about whether Tiger was as good yesterday as at some point in time in the past. And when Tiger plays poorly (which he has done quite a bit in the last couple of years) then I understand criticizing him. But how on earth can you criticize his performance at the Memorial? It just doesn't make any sense.

Compare it to his historic 2008 victory at Torrey Pines: Tiger had FAR better control over his golf ball this week and made FAR fewer putts. And his chip in on 16 was not lucky; it was a brilliant shot (Jack called it the best he'd ever seen) that happened to go in. Anyone remember Tiger's chip in on the back 9 on Saturday at Torrey, the one that one-hopped into the hole -- that was lucky.

He may not be back to what he was in 2000, but he is back to being better than Donald, Mcillroy, Mickelson, Westwood and Matt Every.

If only we had an example of Tiger and Phil paired together, this year, on a Sunday, with the tournament on the line to see if you are right....:)

images
images
images
images

I'm a little surprised at the efforts some folks will go to dismiss a Tiger win. It's not like this was the Quad Cities open. He won the memorial at Muirfield Village. It's been a top tournament with a strong field for a very long time. There were TONS of great players in the field on Thursday morning, and the fact that many of them didn't finish in the top 10, doesn't mean Tiger didn't beat them – it means he beat them a lot worse than he beat those that finished in the top 10.

And he won it by coming from behind and shooting 67 on the last day.

He led the field in Greens in Regulation.

He hit 13/14 fairways on Sunday (he hit Driver 3 times).

People can argue all the like about whether Tiger was as good yesterday as at some point in time in the past. And when Tiger plays poorly (which he has done quite a bit in the last couple of years) then I understand criticizing him. But how on earth can you criticize his performance at the Memorial? It just doesn't make any sense.

Compare it to his historic 2008 victory at Torrey Pines: Tiger had FAR better control over his golf ball this week and made FAR fewer putts. And his chip in on 16 was not lucky; it was a brilliant shot (Jack called it the best he'd ever seen) that happened to go in. Anyone remember Tiger's chip in on the back 9 on Saturday at Torrey, the one that one-hopped into the hole -- that was lucky.

I think one person called it lucky and another said it wasn't as impressive as Bay Hill. Who are the folks discounting this win? I thought Tiger looked awesome out there this week. I am just not ready to call him the best golfer on the planet right now. Great win though.

If only we had an example of Tiger and Phil paired together, this year, on a Sunday, with the tournament on the line to see if you are right....:)

Ha! Those first two pictures say it all.

images

Phil: "Who took the jam outta your doughnut?"
Tiger: "You took the jam outta my f**king doughnut, Phil. You did."

And Phil with that kind of smug "IN YOUR FACE!" smirk.

images

More wins, more earnings, more fed-ex cup points, played in 4 less events, I think it's obvious most players would rather be TW this year. Phil obviously got the better of him earlier this year but at the end of the season it appears Tiger will be back where he feels comfortable, head and shoulders above the competition.

I think one person called it lucky and another said it wasn't as impressive as Bay Hill. Who are the folks discounting this win? I thought Tiger looked awesome out there this week. I am just not ready to call him the best golfer on the planet right now. Great win though.

Exactly!

By definition, more impressive still means that both are impressive, right? :)

He played great. (saying otherwise is crazy talk)

His pitch on 16 was brilliant. (saying otherwise is crazy talk)

He was the best in the field last week. (saying otherwise is crazy talk)

He has the best active record in golf. (saying otherwise is crazy talk)

Where are the slights? The hate? The injustices?

btp

New
I thought his swing was better this week compared to Bay Hill. I won't say he's back until he wins a major.

I guess I am classified as a hater, Tiger is not the best player ever or best in the world right now. The gold standard for best ever is most majors and that belongs to Jack so to say Tiger is the best ever is to disrespect what Jack has done. When and if Tiger beats Jack's record then you can call Tiger the best ever. As for the best in the world we have an accepted formula to calculate that and it says Luke Donald is best in the world right now, so to say Tiger is best in the World because he has won two tournaments this year is crazy. What Tiger IS RIGHT NOW is best player this WEEK!

It's funny, the haters want to discredit Tiger and the lovers want to crown him before it's his time.

Exactly!

Perfect, just perfect.
For all of Tiger's transgressions, he's never once sat in an interview and said:
"I've got 14 majors, 70-something other wins, hit shots that have made even my peers positively drool, increased tour purses by hundreds of millions of dollars, destroyed just about every generation of guys who think they can wrest away my crown, brought a level of unheard-of excitement to the sport, provided enough copy to keep an army of pundits in work forever, made the nay-sayers look stupid time after time, AND you have the temerity to sit there and question the way I play golf?...
..."Now, fack off..."

Exactly!

tigerumadmeme.jpg

Perfect, just perfect.
For all of Tiger's transgressions, he's never once sat in an interview and said:
"I've got 14 majors, 70-something other wins, hit shots that have made even my peers positively drool, increased tour purses by hundreds of millions of dollars, destroyed just about every generation of guys who think they can wrest away my crown, brought a level of unheard-of excitement to the sport, provided enough copy to keep an army of pundits in work forever, made the nay-sayers look stupid time after time, AND you have the temerity to sit there and question the way I play golf?...
..."Now, fack off..."

Doesn't body language count? :)

But how many of those strokes were because of cell phones? That's the real question in all of this nonsense. Cell phones causing our golfing heroes to quit... first Tiger, now Phil. :rolleyes:

But how many of those strokes were because of cell phones? That's the real question in all of this nonsense. Cell phones causing our golfing heroes to quit... first Tiger, now Phil. :rolleyes:

How about all the morons yelling something stupid right at impact, how much less of a true golf fan can you be to yell "mashed potatoes" at impact, shhheeeeeesh!

there is really no excuse for a tour player to shoot 79.

1. you already practice a few rounds before the competition
2. you have a caddy that reads the greeen for you
3. you play every almost every freaking day.

Yup. If I didn't have to work and had more talent I would kick ALL their a$$es! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.