Tiger Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Sorry, another thread about Tiger. But I was just thinking....

Tiger grew up and dominated golf with a slightly strong grip, outward hand path, wide arc and a steep downswing shoulder plane.

If he makes the changes he's apparently making work to the point of dominating again (we know he'll win again, he always does), it will be the most impressive thing ever.

If you take the above components and change the width, hand path, tilts, etc its like making Fred Couples into Nick Faldo. Not being critical at all of the changes but it just dawned on me how difficult that would be.

Yeah massive changes to make.

That's why i think whatever he is being taught must have a bit of merit/is sound as he has been working on all that and still put some really good ball-striking patches together in a relatively short space of time (i.e. could compare to faldo who took nearly 2 years for a full overhaul). Either that or he's just that good that he'd be able to pick up a left handed set and still compete within 6 months!

Tiger just doesn't look 100%. I can't explain it, but he just doesn't look comfortable swinging that way. Sort of like looking at a Picasso that's hung crooked. I'm sure he can work it out and win, but I wonder if he's fighting his own natural swing. Charlie Wi looks better with that pattern IMO.

He had a tee shot on 8 that he almost missed. Looked real awkward. He did have a lot of other swings that looked pretty good. If he leads in that 10 feet and in stat it doesn't matter if he swings as good as he can. He will beat them all again. Period! Lol.

It'll just really be interesting to see if he can do all these new moves from places other than flat lie, "stock" shots.

I think the biggest revelation in the changes is his impact position. Its that much better than previous its not even funny. I reckon that will convert to good shots from anywhere.

I'm not even a tiger fan but it scares me how much better than everyone else he could get by next year the way his good shots are coming off. If it happens sooner then your op is even more relevant!

His domination era is over, dead, gone, done, finished, expired, etc.

The changes would be drastic, but I don't think his brilliance resided in his swing mechanics. Either way, it will be interesting to watch how things unfold.

Putting. He looks like a mere mortal on the greens; just another tour player instead of the God of the magic wand of the first 12 years. Not as confident, inner demons causing second thoughts for the first time in his life. Maybe a self induced guilt trip-- like telling himself "you don't deserve this". But he'll win again. He's Tiger Woods man.

Putting. He looks like a mere mortal on the greens; just another tour player instead of the God of the magic wand of the first 12 years. Not as confident, inner demons causing second thoughts for the first time in his life. Maybe a self induced guilt trip-- like telling himself "you don't deserve this". But he'll win again. He's Tiger Woods man.

I know he has made many...many clutch putts but statistically he does not come close to guys like Stricker and Gay etc. Geoff Mangum (pretty much the biggest brain on putting) does not rate Tiger as high as many with regards to putting. Of course, when he is playing well he hits a bunch of greens. Still there is no doubt that he is off form on the greens.

That new swing looks great to me, love the clubface through impact.

If he can resolve that crazy over pivot move and play just a slightly more controled game, its all pretty much over IMO.

I know his game still needs some work, but he definitely seems to be going at it harder. I watched some of the replay last night, and I saw two loooong drives that he hit: 340, and 370, unless I totally mis-heard.

Kevin,

As far as your original comments. You mentioned an "out hand path" in his early days. I always thought he was a little more "across the line" in his old days, like SD pattern. Am I missing something, or did he just get to that position differently?

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I know his game still needs some work, but he definitely seems to be going at it harder. I watched some of the replay last night, and I saw two loooong drives that he hit: 340, and 370, unless I totally mis-heard.

Kevin,

As far as your original comments. You mentioned an "out hand path" in his early days. I always thought he was a little more "across the line" in his old days, like SD pattern. Am I missing something, or did he just get to that position differently?

His downswing handpath was always out and over his backswing.

I think the biggest revelation in the changes is his impact position. Its that much better than previous its not even funny. I reckon that will convert to good shots from anywhere.

In your opinion better than when Y? By what criteria?

I do not know, just trying to get on your page.

In your opinion better than when Y? By what criteria?

I do not know, just trying to get on your page.

I reckon he had been steering it round the golf course for a while, at least the last couple of years, but i dont think thats going out on a limb too far to say that.

I'd hazard a guess his path would be a lot closer to 0 now more often. And obv he just doesnt look like hes fighting a big push anymore.

Just an opinion after watching him go round here in melbourne. His good ones stayed hit and it just looked/sounded efficient through the ball. No data to back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.